March 17th, 2009

Top 11: Alexis Grace says hello, Dolly

Alexis Grace
Hometown: Memphis, Tennessee
Audition City: Louisville, Kentucky

Alexis Grace looks like Dolly Parton? Really?

Alexis Grace

She did sort of sound like Dolly, singing Parton’s “Jolene,” and that’s not necessarily a good thing.

It was rough in some parts and the classic “American Idol” criticism of “pitchy,” though it had some nice moments. She promises if she comes back next week she'll "dirty" it up a bit.

But will that promise be enough for the viewers?

-Lisa Respers France, CNN.com Writer

Filed under: American Idol judges • television

1. Bob

Was not my pick to leave...I think voting should be used to pick bottom 2...then let the judges use secret button to pick the one to stay...Michael Johns would still be here...

March 27, 2009 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. marilyn

Previously the judges loved her...something stinks!! Alexis Grace has a great deal of talent and I feel the judges did a great injustice not only to Alexis but to the integrity of their ability to judge.

March 19, 2009 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  3. Beth

Megan "tattoo girl" shouldn't even be in the top 12! She should have left before Alexis...then it would have been her turn to go. I think the guys have the stronger voices this year! Actually I don't think the public should get to vote more than once...the 31 million votes Ryan stated isn't a real count. I also agree with what someone said earlier that it should be 50% of the vote by the judges and 50% by viewers.

March 19, 2009 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jim

How tatoo girl made it and Alexis didn't is beyond me. My sound system must be screwed up. There are 2 or 3 others that could have gone home before Alexis. Typical fickel voters. I belive that 50% of the vote should be decided by the judges and 50% by the viewers, It works very well with Dancing With The Stars. Oh, and get rid of the 4th judge, whatever her name is............she is an idiot!

March 19, 2009 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sandy Brown

Alexis has a voice and lots of talent. She is a real entertainer and there is a place for her in the world of music. I hope she has a career ahead of her in the music field. She can do it and has a uniquie way with her music.

March 18, 2009 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Victoria

I thought that she was good, but then again she is good. I think that people should give her more credit that what they are giving her!

March 18, 2009 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. oldstyle

The song was a good choice but, she didn't add any of her deep power vocals to make it memorable. She's most likely going home to her daughter tonight -It's prob for the best since she wasn't going to win anyway. Nice picture up above!

March 18, 2009 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. J S Ragman

My favorites are Megan, Alexis, and Kris. They have staying power whereas the others are pretty generic.

March 18, 2009 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jdaughter

I think Alexis has a great voice. I agree the riff in the middle of the performance was awkward and wasn't her best performance for me, but I think she should make it through. The girl's got soul, she just needs to pick the right songs for her voice and remember not to go too over the top when it's not necessary. She said she will bring back the "dirty", so we will see if she sticks around.

March 18, 2009 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Peter

She's my favorite, but this was a poor song choice – not her best performance.

March 18, 2009 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  11. koko

I remember Brooke White's version of that song last year and it was much better. Her timing was all off. She is adorable though.

March 18, 2009 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  12. Kitty

Poor performance this time. Wrong song choice and poor rendition!

March 18, 2009 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  13. LisA

Um, no! I liked her how she was – I didn't like that song and I wish she had sung something else because she's one of my favorites and I usually love her voice and her style. I hope she makes it to the next rounds so she can bring it!!

March 18, 2009 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  14. Mike

I was really underwhelmed by tonight's performance - but she's one of my favorites in the competition - along with Adam and Megan - and I can imagine her being a big star if she makes the right choices.

Really hope she's back next week! Go Alexis!

March 18, 2009 at 4:09 am | Report abuse |
  15. Olga

She should go home.

March 18, 2009 at 3:49 am | Report abuse |
  16. aurora

I like what she did with the song. Nice job!

March 18, 2009 at 3:45 am | Report abuse |
  17. rundmc

Love her, but not tonight.

March 18, 2009 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
  18. Dave

I liked her until tonight. If anything, her personality when not singing is going to bring her down. She definitely lets it all out when singing, but that's not enough to make it to the end. When the judges say something, these contestants should never be defensive – smile, say thank you, and listen to what they say because they're always right. She seemed kind of snotty tonight. And that wasn't a "light" performance, she was still screaming into the microphone and totally missed.

March 18, 2009 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
  19. Tony Houston

Alexis is difinetly top three in this years idol! To know talent is the virtue of everlasting success for this competitor.

Lots of love Alexis!!!!

March 18, 2009 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  20. Eric

She has done better. But she can sing. Should have made the song her own and not so much like the original.

March 18, 2009 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  21. ylrak

To me, her performances always look like she's trying to seduce someone. The way she dresses, the way she moves, stage presence.... and I don't think she's got that good of a voice either.

March 17, 2009 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Brad

I disagreed with Simon...she didn't do a "sound alike" at all. I played Dolly's original version and then played back Alexis and they were nothing alike. Dolly's was great and Alexis was also great in a completely different way. Loved it!

March 17, 2009 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Darcy

She came off as an airhead with her comment about not knowing what sound-alike meant. Poor song choice, weak vocals.

March 17, 2009 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Amanda

Terrible version of the song.

If I was Joleyn, she sure as heck didn't convince me not to take her man.

Sounded like we were sitting down for tea, as opposed to her begging me to leave 'em alone,

March 17, 2009 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  25. unc1dmo

One of my favorites...but a terrible song choice.........Hope she survives .....

March 17, 2009 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  26. joyce

I like Alexis, but she did bomb this week. Wrong song choice.

March 17, 2009 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  27. chill out

i think she's got an awesome raw voice. she's so little and when she gets going she can sing!

March 17, 2009 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Petena

She should stay. She is great.

March 17, 2009 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  29. lynnie

Dirty it up?? We don't need more dirty from her. This was her cleanest performance so far, and she was ok. I think she believes that if she dirties it up and starts getting rid of her clothes again, the young American males will vote for her.

March 17, 2009 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Michael from Nova Scotia

She said she was going to dirty things up next week– if she makes it.

Hopefully she will get back to what we saw when she first auditioned! 🙂

March 17, 2009 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Emotional

Disagree with Randy... it was strong and emotional. The riff in the middle was awkward, but the finish was awesome.

March 17, 2009 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  32. carolyn

WHAT WAS THAT?..was my reaction, it was like listening to a cat fighing. I was in the kitchen while listening to her singing. It was horrible.

March 17, 2009 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  33. yourfakeplasticlove

im still confused as to how she made it this far...i guess it could be her looks...and she can sing..but shes so self indulgent i find it hard to believe anyone will pay to see her outside the idol tour...atleast adam lambert has this dark edge...and he is the showman...only time will tell i guess

March 17, 2009 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Stever

It wasn't her best but I think she has a fabulous voice. Not a country western one, necessarily, more of a Janis Joplin.

March 17, 2009 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |