February 8th, 2009

Grammys: McCartney wants to see Radiohead

Our first big star of the night entered the backstage area and it was a big one: Paul McCartney.

Sir Paul, "Macca," call him what you will, strolls in sporting a jacket over a white Beatles T-shirt. It's a photo of the Fab Four - taken by his late wife Linda, he tells us - with red clown noses on their faces. The shirt was designed by his daughter Stella and will be sold to raise money for Britain's Comic Relief charity campaign, which kicks off March 13.

McCartney, who will perform himself tonight, says he's most looking forward to seeing Radiohead play on the big stage with the University of Southern California marching band. Paul's a big fan of the critically acclaimed band and they were the only group he mentioned off the top of his head when asked who his favorite musical acts were these days.

Someone asked him about the Beatles famed "White Album," which celebrated its 40th anniversary last year. He says after all these years he can look at it dispassionately. And the verdict?

"I think it's fine. It's good. I'm amazed we did it. We were just kids."

Speaking of big accomplishments, he says his biggest was his children. "It's easy achieving them," he jokes.

As for professional victories, he points to his song, "Yesterday." "I was just talking to B.B. King about this and people in our line of work believe in magic and mystery." After noting how many people covered the famed tune - Ray Charles, Elvis, Frank Sinatra - he recalled how he dreamed it up in his sleep and woke up and wrote it down.

"I believe in magic," he says.

- Douglas Hyde, CNN Entertainment Producer

Filed under: Music

1. carey

Ugh. Just because a band doesn't achieve the same sound or play the same type of music or have the same type of lyrics as another band you love does NOT mean they are talentless or not as good. They're DIFFERENT. That's what's so beautiful about music. The infinite range in sound, content and emotion evoked is astounding.

That said, it is possible to appreciate and enjoy Coldplay AND Radiohead and I'm glad I can continue to do so. I pity those who feel the need to bash one group in an effort to laud another.

February 11, 2009 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. person

i never even heard of this song. Music, in general, has sucked for 4yrs.

February 10, 2009 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rb

I think the honor should have gone to Radiohead, so I was disappointed watching the show. However, the category wasn't: most creative album of the year, It wasn't most artistic LP of the year and nor was it the greatest rock band of the year (or ever). I do believe that In Rainbows was indeed the Best Album of the year but before any of that matters, the Grammy's, as stated previously are a joke, or at the very least a blatant attempt to boost record and TV airtime sales. One only needs to think back to the Milli Vanilli debacle (too far back?) to know that it's only partially about music and the musicians that perform on record and the rest is a sham.
    The Plant/Kraus/T-bone record is a bland record of mostly snoozable covers. So what if it's Robert Plant? And I think Led Zep is one of the top five all time greatest rock bands ever.
    Now, I'm glad Radiohead didn't win if winning equals high record sales of mediocre, middle of the road, bland palatable who-ha.

February 10, 2009 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JH

Also, I agree 100% with Ian, that the Grammys are a "freaking joke these days." Well put my friend.

February 10, 2009 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JH

Coldplay ripping off Radiohead.... I don't think so... Radiohead had a couple great albums, a couple of my favorites truthfully, but in recent times, just because they are Radiohead I think that they feel that gives them the right to make crappy music and people will just love it because of who they are. I mean honestly, their music is WEIRD. There's no talent in that. Furthermore, in reference the Plant and Krauss I am so sick of them. Plant is a rocker, he needs to go back on tour with Led Zepp. Zepp has accomplished more than Krauss can every dream of, and I wish they would stop giving them all these grammys and promoting this nonsense. It was nice at first, Plant branching out into a different genre, but when he specifically stated that the only reason he is not going on tour with Led is because of her, that is enough. Also, I agree very much about the rap. Was that preggo woman horrible looking or what! She should have been a shamed of herself out there, dressed like that... and she didn't even sing that much. That's a great image to give the youth of America!

February 10, 2009 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bob

@Dan – without a band like Led Zeppelin, bands like Radiohead would never exist.

You might want to broaden your scope – or, at least, try.

February 10, 2009 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Zoe

Radiohead is the best, most creative band on the planet & my very favourite. But get with it people, they will not win album of the year etc. (they did win best Alternative album) as they are a-l-t-e-r-n-a-t-i-v-e. They are genius. The majority of the population do not get it...why do you think there are such shows as American Idol? "Average" people think that's quality. They are lemmings. They don't know. Not saying the entrants of the show are not talented, it's just they are NOT true artists like Radiohead. But that stuff sells, and it's all business baby, It's OK, my boys are brilliant, they will continue to be so and God love them for it. If you know anything about them, you know they rejected taking up the helm a la U2...they could easily have been 'biggest band in the world'. There's a difference between Biggest and Best. Radiohead is Best. Coldplay is stepping into the big U2 shoes...which is fine. I love Coldplay too, but I hate the gimmicks.
    As for Plant – an absolute legend and a deserved win. Best album? Of course not, but who said life was fair? And the Grammys and all other awards shows? Rarely, rarely fair.

February 9, 2009 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Adrianne in Los Angeles

I am a huge fan of the Beatles, but I think there's a time when singers should stop singing or lower the range that they sing in. Sir Paul didn't sound good at all – a very strained performance vocally. It did have a certain energy though, because of Dave Grohl.

February 9, 2009 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rich A.

"Radiohead are a greater band than Led Zeppelin."

wow...please tell me what you've been smoking Dan, please?

I almost laughed a lung out with that comment.

February 9, 2009 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. tman43211

Are you kidding me? "A complete travesty" that Plant/Krauss beat out Viva La Vida???? Coldplay is a disgrace to England and all of good musicians out there. Their watered down pop bulls$$t doesn't even hold a flame to Radiohead, who actually continues to push the envelope with each new record. Coldplay is Elton John meets U2 meets Sesame Street. RH are the real artists who got robbed. And don't even get me started about Robert Plant's deterioration from Led Zeppelin. That album shouldn't even have been made. The only true generalization I've ever heard is this: everyone who thinks Coldplay got robbed last night is #1 an idiot, #2 needs to open up their ears and listen to a good record for once (In Rainbows).

February 9, 2009 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Terry B

Saying McCartney knows talent, is like saying the Beatles were a decent little group. What he and others like Stevie Wonder, Robert Plant and BB King know about music and what they DO with it are amazing. Most of today's music is just OK as a whole. There are a few songs that generate a feeling within you that says wow.

If you noticed who got the Standing O's, it was the legends.

February 9, 2009 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ian

Robert Plant is a genius and very important to music but it is nothing short of a travesty that their album beat out Viva La Vida for Record of the year as well as Album of the year. The Grammys are a freaking joke these days, what can I say . . .

February 9, 2009 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  13. Janice Fairway

I was skeptical about the Paul McCartney duet, but man, did they blow it out of the park! I’m a big fan of The Beetles, and I don’t like every cover song out there (just check out some reader reviews on EverHype – http://www.everhype.com/?utm_source=bc) but this was a stellar rendition of one of my favorites.

February 9, 2009 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  14. Dan

Richard B.Armstrong is so wrong; Plant does not hold court over all those acts he was nominated with. That bland, butcher-job of an album he won for was poor (Plant covering Townes Van Zandt?! Please) and Radiohead are a greater band than Led Zeppelin.

And M.I.A. is pretty good, although I can't imagine her performance was.

February 9, 2009 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
  15. BBP

Radiohead was about the only thing worth tuning in for.

February 9, 2009 at 3:35 am | Report abuse |
  16. CO Man

Radiohead was robbed. While I am a big fan of Plant/Krauss, by FAR the best album of the 5 nominated this year was In Rainbows by Radiohead. Ah, well...it will help them keep their underground/alternative vibe by NOT winning, I guess.

February 9, 2009 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
  17. Dave in Vancouver

Loved the Radiohead tune, but where were Ed, Colin and Phil? I wasn't aware that Radiohead had become a duo!

February 9, 2009 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
  18. K

Raising Sand is a really good album. Krauss and Plant are legends in bluegrass and rock and surprisingly great together. All the best to Jennifer Hudson, what a tragic loss for her.

Rap music is terrible, the filthy lyrics are degrading to women and so very violent. It’s nothing but trash. Why does anyone listen to it, especially women?

Radiohead rocks, Coldplay has totally ripped them off, Radiohead never gets their due, Paul McCartney, himself a legend, rightfully acknowledges them. McCartney knows talent

February 9, 2009 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  19. Nic

Radiohead was most outstanding.

February 9, 2009 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  20. Richard B.Armstrong

ROBERT PLANT w/ALLISON KRAUSS..... I just wana add a comment on Plant showing up after all these years with a diffrent genre and still kicking butt.
    Just a thought but i really wonder how many in the audience,both at the grammys and home realize they saw a living legend,a true legend in the music industry and to see him hold court above all those he was nomintaed with. People ,realize that the art of the industry today is struggling with such acts as MIA ,what the hey was that???
    Its refreshing to see a true memebr of the only treu HAMMERS OF THE GODS still rocking it and able to capture a grammy in a diffrent genre. CONGRATS TO THE GOLDEN GOD of rock

February 8, 2009 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |