March 17th, 2008

Rutlemania returns!

It was 30 years ago Saturday that “All You Need Is Cash,” the mockumentary about “the legend that will last a lunchtime,” the Rutles, debuted on NBC – and promptly finished dead last in the ratings.

But the Rutles would not go away. There were two albums of material – one to accompany the special, the other, 1996’s “Archaeology,” a reaction against the “Anthology” entries of that other British band -– and a growing appreciation of what Dirk, Ron, Stig and Barry spawned.

Now, to mark 30 years of Rutlemania, Eric Idle, Neil Innes, Rikki Fataar and John Halsey – the men behind the Pre-Fab Four - will be doing a Q&A at the Mods & Rockers Film Festival in Los Angeles Monday night. (Sadly, the Fifth Rutle - Ollie Halsall, who played a number of the guitar parts on “The Rutles” - passed away in 1992.)

Our friends at Entertainment Weekly have an interview with Idle about the band and recent Rutle projects. Me, I can’t stop the lyrics running through my head: “One man’s civilization is another man’s jungle, yeah …”

- Todd Leopold, CNN.com Entertainment Producer

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. My Amazing Weight Loss Story

Great post! Just wanted to let you know you have a new subscriber- me!

April 28, 2009 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Chris Young

"The Rutles" is, without a doubt, one of the funniest pieces of entertainment I've ever seen in my 30 years on this planet. John Belushi's cameo alone is worth the purchase price!

April 10, 2008 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  3. California Boy

who doesn't like the BEATLES

April 7, 2008 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
  4. Org

I just don't get it! Another boy band reunion? I prayed on CPL for just an NKOTB one, but it seems like reunions are happeing all around!

April 3, 2008 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. the badger 2008

"I want to be a hairdresser. Or two. I want to be two hairdressers."
    -Barry Wom

March 26, 2008 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  6. Rhonda Barker

I am shocked...and stunned that the media has ignored the 30th anniversary of Rutlemania!! What about "Cheese and Onions" as the song to help celebrate Subway's promotion of 10 years of Jarred's weight loss??

March 26, 2008 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  7. Me

RUTLES forever!

March 25, 2008 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Me

Rutles Forever!
    Eric Idle and Neil Innes are geniuses. Eric Idle's wide-eyed , doe-eyed expression , when singing in front of the "Queen" in the "Royal Command Performance" is beyond priceless. I fell on the floor! He was
    more earnest that McCartney ever thought of being.
    Ronnie Wood as a hells angel & John Belushi as Allen Klein were hysterical.

March 25, 2008 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  9. Archie Macaw

I know a thing or two about inseams and these boys and their trousers definitely had it.
    Where is Bill Murray the K when we really need him?
    With Arthur Hodgeson and the Kneecaps LP's goingon ebay for up to 20,000 Pounds, is it any surprise that the world still screams

please rut me!

March 25, 2008 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  10. C9

Best parody ever! I still have the vinyl soundtrack, which I bought when it first came out. Neil Innes is a genius!

March 24, 2008 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  11. Andi

And who could forget the immortal line that summed up Rutlemania:

They say revolution's in the air
    The cat's in my underwear
    And I don't care.

March 22, 2008 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kim

Nothing better than Shangri-la!
    Go Rutles!

March 21, 2008 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. tolligirl

I have loved The Rutles since I first saw it in the early 80's – it holds so many great memories. The way they satirized the entire Beatle backstory was hilarious – especially to Bealtlemaniacs like me who could spot the satire. The compositions were so spot on! In college we got completely drunk out of our minds and sang karoake to it all night long. And to top it off, someone I dated had the original albuim soundtrack that was released with the film. He was amazed I even knew who The Rutles were! And I'm happy to report we have been married now for five years!

March 21, 2008 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Alex

I'm remember watching this film when it premiered on NBC. I
    thought it was great when I first watched it. Especially seeing George Harrison taken part. I never understood how it finished in the cellar.
    Either way this a funny film that shouldn't be missed. Why isn't it on cable ?

March 20, 2008 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. The Mad Swede

Who could forget The Old Gay Whistle Test by Ray Onassis?
    Or has anyone ever answered Keith Gibb's question, "Rubber macfisheries underwear plug rapid emulsion sick custard without duff geriiatric club?"
    Not likely.
    The Rutles have suffered for their music. Now it is our turn.

And as before, there is no mention of George Harrison in this comment.

March 20, 2008 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  16. NHTommy

The scene with Bianca Jagger and 'clinking glasses' may well be one of the funniest moments on film. Outstanding.

March 20, 2008 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  17. Ron Howerton

I just watched All You Need is Cash with my 14 YO daughter. She loves Monty Python. Idle's musical talent is showcased in the Rutles, but he shined in many Python musical numbers.

Long live the Rutles!

March 20, 2008 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  18. Linda Baker

Their version of "Help"....renamed "Ouch" is hysterical.
    I had fun doing record promotion on that album and still have some of the promotional items. Eric Idle rocks.

March 19, 2008 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  19. kberg

How 'bout "Piggy in the Middle (Hey Diddle Diddle)" or the catchy "Get Up 'N Go"?

March 19, 2008 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  20. jwestside

I am both "shocked and stunned" that the Rutles have decided to reunite.

March 19, 2008 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Benst1

The Rutles invented the mockumentary, which Spinal Tap turned into a feature film.
    One of the Rutles songs; "Cheese and Onions" was so good and sounded so much like the genuine article it was actually included in a real BEA**ES bootleg album.

The actual Fab Four, (and their wives), made it clear- they got the joke and they thought it was funny.

JOKE: Heather "Golddigger" Mills tried to marry one of the Rutles until she found out he did haven't enough money so she married someone who looked just like him who has a little bit more moolah.

March 19, 2008 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |