May 22nd, 2014

Angelina Jolie to rich moms: Check your privilege at the door

As a working mom with six kids, Angelina Jolie could try to relate to other parents juggling their family life with their careers.

But instead, the actress is doing something pretty rare: acknowledging that her reality as the highest-paid actress in Hollywood makes her parenting experience very, very different from that of the average Jane.

"I'm not a single mom with two jobs trying to get by everyday," Jolie told the New York Daily News Wednesday. "I have much more support than most people, most women in this world. And I have the financial means to have a home and health care and food."

Jolie was responding to a question about New York City mayor Bill de Blasio's wife Chirlane McCray, who recently spoke to New York magazine about feeling "mom guilt" when she still wanted to pursue her career after having kids.

“I was 40 years old. I had a life. Especially with (daughter) Chiara—will we feel guilt forever more? Of course, yes," McCray told the magazine. "But the truth is, I could not spend every day with her. I didn’t want to do that. I looked for all kinds of reason not to do it. I love her. I have thousands of photos of her - every 1-month birthday, 2-month birthday. But I’ve been working since I was 14, and that part of me is me. It took a long time for me to get into ‘I’m taking care of kids,’ and what that means.”

Jolie, on the other hand, says she's privileged enough to not have to feel such guilt - her kids, she notes during the interview, were right upstairs - and feels that wealthy moms like her really shouldn't complain.

“When I feel I’m doing too much, I do less, if I can. And that’s why I’m in a rare position where I don’t have to do job after job. I can take time when my family needs it,” Jolie told the paper. “I actually feel that women in my position, when we have all at our disposal to help us, shouldn’t complain. Consider all the people who really struggle and don’t have the financial means, don’t have the support, and many people are single raising children. That’s hard."

Filed under: Angelina Jolie • Celebrities

1. odalicefeliz

Angelina is a role model for many young mothers...... nobody likes crazy mothers who actually prefer to hang and smoke crack instead off working and being a good honest mother. Rapper Tupac "Dear Momma" song shouldn't be what kids dedicate to there mother on Mother's day......

July 2, 2014 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. rosieglitter

Why is it that regardless of what someone says, someone else will always bash it? Your day must really suck if you just go around hating everything. What she said is a valid point, and it's obvious that the author of the article has sewn two interviews together...and neither were related. They're just two points of view. Good for Angelina, being down to earth and honest about her very blessed life. Remember, nobody's perfect, including you.

June 17, 2014 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. iamtoscanini

June 12, 2014 at 3:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. iamtoscanini

Typical of her to crack on one of her 'sistas' Anything to perpetuate that Saint Angela routine. Ugh. Look out honey, your man is gettin' fed up with all your self-righteous. There are a lot of really smart, attractive women out there who would make him a nice wife.

June 12, 2014 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |
    • rosieglitter

Let me guess, you think you'd have a run at Brad Pitt? You believe all that tabloids have posted about either party? Jeez, go sit down with the rest of the nags.

June 17, 2014 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. kfurgeson

I feel like I was just stood up for by Angelina Jolie! Weird! I am married with 3 kids but we work our brains out to just make ends meet and to give our kids enriching lives. My husband and I are both well educated and what we've learned is that doesn't put you in the "safe zone" financially. I too have looked at wealthy moms and thought that while their lives are far from stress free, they really shouldn't complain. They have a "wealth" of support that the rest of us only dream about.

June 8, 2014 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  6. antano1970

Brad probably wants to off himself being over 50 with all those kids around

May 28, 2014 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
    • ninaleecherryambition

No, because that is reportedly part of the reason he divorced Jennifer Aniston, who didn't want kids. He seems to be enjoying fatherhood.

Now, if you were talking about Tori Spelling's husband, Dylan McDermott, then you might be right about HIM...

May 30, 2014 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. 1twinsfan

A certain pretentious actress should heed this advice.

May 26, 2014 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. devilsadvocate01

Why does Hollywood get a pass from the left for their wealth?

May 26, 2014 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • paouser70

Another question – why are you such a whiny moron..

May 28, 2014 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • insi10

Gosh, that's a tough one. But I'm going to try to answer anyway:
      1. Maybe because they don't spend their money trying to buy politicians to lower their own taxes, gut the environmental laws, and create monopolistic business advantages for themselves.
      2. Maybe because they earned it (given the somewhat skewed idea our society has about "earning" money by working at a job that pays a zillion dollars an hour, but that's a different argument) rather than skimming, the way investment bankers do.

June 6, 2014 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jenniferpurdie

Listen up Gwyneth!

May 24, 2014 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ladyl555

Gwyneth Paltrow take note!!

May 23, 2014 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  11. Angelo Barovier

Sounded to me like AJ was relating her experience as an observation and not a direct rebuttal to McCray's comment. Since there is no actual transcript of the NYDN interview, it seems rather speculative to decide that AJ 'got it wrong'. How the question was framed or understood versus how they chose to put it in print can be two vastly different things.

May 26, 2014 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. shakespearelovermorgan

Angelina Jolie wasn't responding to the other mother mentioned. CNN brought in those comments as an example of a working mom with a more common salary. She was probably speaking in response to Gwynth's Paltrow's statements about how hard she has it as a working mom, even though she doesn't actually work the same number of hours most working moms do, and has help. Many Hollywood mothers were bothered by those comments.

May 30, 2014 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  13. Amanda Alexandre

You mean, a lot of demagogical rich-guilty Americans were bothered because someone said that being a working mom is hard?

In other words, people are blamin' Gwyneth for not being able to win the "biggest sufferer" that happens betweeen moms.

June 3, 2014 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |