Chelsea Handler: I'm not a racist; I date a lot of black people
March 4th, 2014

Chelsea Handler: I'm not a racist; I date a lot of black people

Chelsea Handler has been accused of tweeting racist comments during the Oscars, but the late night TV personality says it's all just a misunderstanding.

On Sunday, she took over The Huffington Post's Twitter account to chime in on the awards show, but some of her witticisms hit a sour note.

With "12 Years A Slave" winning three Oscars at the awards show, Handler saw it as an opportunity to promote her new book of travel essays, "Uganda Be Kidding Me."

“Congratulations #12yearsaslave Go to Africa or buy #ugandabekiddingme," she tweeted with an Amazon link to the book's page along with the hashtag, #aheadofthecurve.

That missive, along with her comments about best supporting actress winner Lupita Nyong'o ...

... left Handler in the middle of a firestorm.

On "Good Morning America" Tuesday, Handler acknowledged the criticism but said it was unfounded.

"People are mad at me all the time," Handler said. "If I was worried about that then I would be spending a lot of time online. I'd rather be a little bit more productive."

And more to the point, "I'm not racist," Handler said. "I date a lot of black people so that would be a difficult thing to explain to them."

Filed under: Celebrities • Late Night comedy • television

1. paouser70

she's a pig – who cares what she does... she's neither clever nor funny.

April 3, 2014 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. elvinmerij

Watched her on Piers Morgan. Got the impression she is where she is due to "who-you-know-not-what-you-know".

Oh and being a blue-eyed good-looking blonde female in media-obsessed America helps too.

April 2, 2014 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. antano1970

Urghhhhhhhhhh.....enough of this already

March 10, 2014 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  4. Keith

There is a whole portion of folks that just sit around waiting to be offended, they are seldom disapointed

March 9, 2014 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  5. http://iwatch2014.wordpress.com

Reblogged this on Reviews to the Avogadro and commented:
    This is a sign that people take the Oscars way too seriusly AND that people have no sense of humor. This wasn't David Duke tweeting, it was a comedian known for her brand of comedy.

March 5, 2014 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. cicisbo

Mmm-hmm... I find that people who say "I date black people, or I know a black person," usually end up being a closet racist.... But whatever, she's a comedian–they make fun of everyone, that is what makes them a comedian.

March 4, 2014 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • evaseattle13

Are you joking? Okay... sooooo.. I'm a black woman, no joke.. I am a black woman..and I date tons of white people... I know tons of white people.. I talk to them everyday.. I love dating white guys.. like for realz... soooooooo do those statements make ME a racist? Your statement is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read... Chelsea is awesome.. she's not racist.. she's a breath of fresh air... And we black folks LOVE her!!!!

March 5, 2014 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • tonybot3

plain and simple, if you date outside of your race, its a tell-tale sign that you are taking steps to conceal your blatant racism.

March 13, 2014 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
        • etech01

That was the dumbest post iv'e ever read ..........

March 14, 2014 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
        • dirksterdude

Plain and simple, if you blog outside of your race, its a tell-tale sign that you are taking steps to conceal your blatant stupidity.

March 27, 2014 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
      • chiniquy

Yes you are. most likely you believe in the superiority of Caucasians over all other Ethnic group. Your comment proves this by your bragging about who you date. Many victims of racists' thinking in turn reject their own Ethnic group and try to assimilated into another "race." Look at the massive amount of African American women who wear straight hair weaves or straighten and dye their natural curly hair. I wouldn't be surprised if all of them started to reject their own men in favour of Caucasian men. I believe in the past they were called "Uncle Toms."

March 17, 2014 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • jrh0

I get the "I'm not racist, I'm friends with lots of black people" thing which is why I wonder if she actually meant that, or if she was being clever and poking fun at the saying too. Either way its pretty funny, but I hope she meant to make the joke, because... well done. ISWYDT.

March 10, 2014 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • elvinmerij

Like women who say, "I date men, or I know a man"?

April 2, 2014 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |