Miley Cyrus: The new Madonna?
January 29th, 2014

Miley Cyrus: The new Madonna?

We thought Miley Cyrus' MTV VMAs drama felt familiar.

The 21-year-old singer has recruited Madonna for her "MTV Unplugged" special, and the star admits that she takes some inspirational cues from Madonna.

"I grew up listening to Madonna, and a lot of what she represented for me is what I try to represent to girls now, not being afraid of sexuality and being who you want to be and doing what you want to do," Cyrus told MTV, which will air her "Unplugged" special tonight at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

During Cyrus' set, the two pop stars collaborate on a mashup of Madge's "Don't Tell Me" and Cyrus' No. 1 hit, "We Can't Stop." According to MTV, we can expect plenty of Madonna-on-Miley grinding - which, given her reason for having Madonna on in the first place, makes sense.

"'Don't Tell Me' is basically the same message that I'm telling my fans with 'We Can't Stop,'" Cyrus said. "I feel like 'We Can't Stop' is the 2013 version of 'Don't Tell Me.' ... She understood why that was important for a lot of our fans, especially those that are young, who are trying to figure out their freedom. I really wanted her here because I wanted that energy ... she's so about making a statement."

To refresh your memories, we've dropped both music videos below - do you think Cyrus has a point?

Filed under: Celebrities • Madonna • Miley Cyrus

1. frantzmerisier

Why can't she just go away...and take Justin Beiber with.

March 2, 2014 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mlg4035

Miley Cyrus is, and will always be,...a legend in her own mind...

February 15, 2014 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. B

Oh please Miley

February 10, 2014 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. undisputed420champ

I am a 28 year old male and somehow in the last 4-5 years I must have become completely out of touch with music and pop culture. I watch that Madonna video (which I know is a far departure from her earlier videos), which I remember from my youth, and it sounds like music and while simple the video caught my attention. Then i start the Miley video and NOTHING makes sense to me, the music sucks (i know, my opinion) and the video is just plain strange. I just don't understand the mindset of the Mileys, Beibers, etc. They just seem so lost and out of touch with reality. But again, maybe its just me.

February 8, 2014 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • undisputed420champ

Not to mention, what the HELL is she wearing?! I know people have different styles but seriously she doesn't even look good. Not flattering at all. I was around when Britney and Christina were going through their "odd" stages and I thought (and still think) they looked hot.

Oh and keep your tongue in your mouth, not attractive at all.

February 8, 2014 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • frantzmerisier

so freaking true.

March 2, 2014 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bluefenix03

by displaying such vulgarity in public? go Miley girl! I am not so sure I would like to see teenagers or young women pull their tongues and twerk at men like you do, it is so vulgar and low, it makes you want to throw up; at least, Madonna had singing talent.

February 6, 2014 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  6. antano1970

Since you have no talent of your own, you may as well be a copycat. Someday when you realize you made money by copying someone else, I hope it sits well.

February 5, 2014 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. blakenaustin

By being as irresponsible, self absorbed, and s!utty as possible. An awful role model for teenagers.

February 4, 2014 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |