Meryl Streep isn't happy about Emma Thompson's Oscar snub
January 20th, 2014

Meryl Streep isn't happy about Emma Thompson's Oscar snub

As if we needed another reason to love Meryl Streep!

Even from behind the glare of her astounding 18th Oscar nod, the 64-year-old actress could still see the "injustice" of her pal Emma Thompson being overlooked for "Saving Mr. Banks."

"I didn't think I had a chance," Streep told Ellen DeGeneres on "Ellen" of her perceived nomination chances. "There were so many performances this year that were great. I'm thinking of my friend, Emma Thompson, who wasn't nominated ... I was really shocked."

Thompson was widely thought to be a lock for a nomination with her portrayal of "Mary Poppins" author P.L. Travers in the Disney film opposite Tom Hanks as Walt Disney, but it's probably a testament to the amazing year film has had that she (and Hanks) got left out.

When the nominations were announced last Thursday, there were "a lot of surprises, and injustices," Streep said. "I wrote (Thompson) a long, heartfelt email about how bad I felt, and she wrote me back and said, 'Good.'"

DeGeneres, who's going to be hosted this year's Oscars on March 2, wasn't surprised at all to see that Streep was nominated for her role in "August: Osage County." What do you think - will Streep take the Oscar again?

Filed under: Awards Season • movies • Oscars 2014

1. Keith

August: Osage county was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. No matter how good the actors are it could not redeem the story.

February 1, 2014 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • lamestreamdoc

I'd like to see CNN run a headline with Meryl Streep being unhappy that Emma Thompson has chosen an anti-Israel and anti-Semitic stance by supporting the Palestinian boycott while also talking smack about an Israel theatre group visiting London.

That's truly the more disgraceful story here. How such a talented actress could promote such hatred is saddening. Of course, she comes from the same country that produced Vanessa Redgrave, another talented and bigoted actress.

Forget about Oscar snubs; I'm snubbing Emma Thompson's films from here on out until she changes her tune.

February 13, 2014 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mar

Unfortunately, Cate has been anointed by the media as the winner so the oscar will follow and hand Cate the gong...

January 21, 2014 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • No according too our standards

looks like most of those people were the same person.

January 21, 2014 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Judy

Funny article given that meryl streep recently BEFORE the nominations went on a rant against Walt Disney and there is speculation that it is the primary reason that Emma Thompson did not get a nod. Always have liked Meryl, but her stock definitely took a hit with me. I think she is just trying to save face.

January 21, 2014 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Meh

yeah well...what are ya gonna do...?

January 21, 2014 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mary Douglast

I do admire Meryl Streep's seriousness and devotion to acting. But in my opinion, Emma Thompson far outshines her
    as an actress. I have often been deeply affected by Emma's performances. Although I watch Meryl in anythilng
    because her process is so interesting and she is beautiful, somehow she never affects me emotionally at all in
    role. I read somewhere Katharine Hepburn once said of Meryl Streep, you can see the wheels of the machinery
    (of acting) turning too much in her peformance. I hope Meryl Streep will keep going and finally find the roles
    where she can completely achieve that beauty of performance beyond the performance. Through her dedication
    I feel she will.

But I don't understand why so many people now find it necessary to dow ngrade and insult Walt Disney. Walt
    Disney brought so much joy to so many children, even after they'd grown up. He affected people positively all
    over the world from the beginning.

January 21, 2014 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  6. IT OUT UP 2

Career 'challenged', terminally 'on board' STREEP now moving
    on to necro–defamation.

FACT IS -–the world LOVES vintage DISNEY and always WILL.

FACT IS--STREEP's mafia run franchise slum Hollywood is
    creatively bankrupt, and to the core CORRUPT.

FACT IS- – -

"WALT DISNEY was the ONLY REAL ARTIST
    ------------Hollywood ever produced."
    STANLEY KUBRICK

Someone tell STREEP to take her PC macrame --eleswhere.

January 21, 2014 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
  7. nancy

Emma was robbed.

January 20, 2014 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. *

Man that is incredibly harsh to wish on someone, even for a troll.

January 21, 2014 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  9. *

That was meant for Pliny.

January 21, 2014 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |