Harry Connick Jr. is awesome. 'Idol's' ratings? Not so much
January 16th, 2014

Harry Connick Jr. is awesome. 'Idol's' ratings? Not so much

Harry Connick Jr. has managed to give "American Idol" something the show desperately needed - good buzz - but he hasn't been able to lift the reality singing competition out of its sad ratings slump.

The series returned for its 13th season on Wednesday with 15 million tuning in and a 4.6 rating in the adult demographic - enough to help "Idol" dominate the ratings on Wednesday but still a drop nonetheless. According to EW, Wednesday's episode was the lowest-rated premiere in "Idol's" history.

But at least "Idol" execs can hope that Connick will help turn things around. The musician was met with a largely mixed response when Fox announced he and Jennifer Lopez were going to replace former judges Nicki Minaj, Randy Jackson and Mariah Carey, but Connick managed to win over his critics during the premiere.

To begin with, he's actually funny. "Idol" fans have gotten used to Jennifer Lopez's charm and Keith Urban's mellow approach, but Connick was an unknown. On the first episode, he set a tone that everyone instantly fell in love with: witty, but still serious about cultivating only the top talent.

Prime example: When one contestant, Munfarid Zaidi,proved himself to be a superfan, Connick promised that if Zaidi blew the judges' minds with his first song, he'd pick the contestant up like a baby.

A crazy promise, but Connick made good on it after Zaidi earned a ticket to Hollywood with his rendition of Adele's "Crazy For You."

The best part of the scene isn't just seeing Connick awkwardly holding a 19-year-old fan, but the reactions of his fellow judges. Who knows what else the season has in store, but Wednesday's premiere was blessedly tension-free.

Add to that Connick's deep knowledge of music, which he's able to use to say exactly why a performance did or didn't work, and you have a judge who "almost single-handedly brought a sense of fun back to 'American Idol,'" says Variety's TV critic Brian Lowry. "Whether spoofing his lack of celebrity relative to Jennifer Lopez or clowning with Keith Urban, there’s an easy camaraderie among the judges that should make the show better company."

By the time the premiere was over, several fans were pleasantly surprised.

"The Idol premiere tonight - I am not lying - is sort of ... delightful," tweeted NPR's Linda Holmes. "Oh, man. That is a curve ball from the universe."

What'd you think of the premiere?

Filed under: American Idol 2013 • television

1. Stevie

I adore Harry Connick, but not even he could get me to watch this awful dreck purporting to be entertainment.

January 20, 2014 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kate

Haven't watched Idol in years, but since most of you are saying it was good, fresh and fun again, and because I kinda have a wee crush on Harry, I will be tuning in next week!

January 17, 2014 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Cindy

Honestly, this is the first season in the last 3 or 4 that I didn't immediately turn the channel after just a few minutes. This season is GREAT. Instead of focusing on the antics and personalities of the judges, it actually seems to be about the contestants this year. AI has gone back to its roots – and has won me back. It is GREAT !

January 17, 2014 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JNSNH

Harry is terrifically FUNNY, talented and a perfect judge for this show. He's honest, gives good feedback and is bringing a breath of fresh air to Idol; which is desperately needed.

January 17, 2014 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. blakenaustin

It was time for Randy to go. Minaj was an abrasive, self absorbed, fool. Mariah, too much of a diva. Finally a little class and talent. We'll see if this is enough to save the aging program.

January 17, 2014 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Harry

I haven't liked idol much in the last few years. Just boring judges boring singers nothing has really caught my attention. I figured why not watch the first episode since nothing else was on. Within the first 20 mins I was pleasantly surprised. The past 4 seasons I normally play the volume on a low level so its background noise only to turn it on when I hear something I like. I never turned my volume low on this episode. I laughed I really enjoyed the newer format. The judges were fresh and actually interesting to watch.

January 17, 2014 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cindy

January 17, 2014 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Elmer

#idol was like reset with a brand new OS. Like, its a new show altogether, like the past never happened. Harry is a saint! Been praising him for 2days now. Jlo is captivating and keith smells good on tv! :)

January 17, 2014 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Di

best three judges ever -at least they know what music is about and the show is about finding a good singer not just looks. love Harry – he is a pure Pro

January 17, 2014 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Debbie

Cautiously watched the premiere of American Idol on Wednesday, after the crazy drama last year that was Minaj and Carey (which ended with me not tuning in because I couldn't tolerate it the crap) I have to say I was relieved and really enjoyed it. Connick is a break of fresh air and the chemistry between Harry, Jennifer and Keith is fun and charged. I don't know how Keith Urban managed to get through last season with all the drama but I bet you he is as happy as the rest of us are that Harry and Jennifer are sharing the judges table with him. I definitely be watching this season!!

January 17, 2014 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Wil Smith

Jimmy JIMMY What are you doing; you cant bank at that speed!

January 17, 2014 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  11. SAM ROCK

LOVE LOVE THE SHOW THESE JUDGES MAKE THE SHOW VERY INTERESTING
    HARRY TELLS THE TRUTH,JENNIFER HAS ALWAYS BEEN GREAT, KEITH AS WELL
    """""""YES I THINK YOU HAVE IT RIGHT I WILL WATCH THE WHOLE SHOW""""""""""
    THAT MESS LAST YR WAS AWFUL SO GLAD THEY ARE GONE BEFORE U LOSE ALL VEIWERS

January 17, 2014 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  12. meghan

The people at AI need to tone down the spray tan/make up on Harry. It is too distracting when all I see are his orange palms and orange tinge through his facial hair.

January 17, 2014 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  13. LouisianaProud

Harry Connick has a great voice and is very talented. Loved him in Hope Floats with Sandra Bullock. I stopped watching last year with the chaos of Nikki and Mariah, who wants to see all that drama! I am hooked again with the chemistry between the three. Keith's charm, Jennifer's warmth and Harry's humor are an absolute great combination. They weren't trying to outshine each other but compliment each other's talents and knowledge of the industry. Thanks Idol think you got it right this time....

January 17, 2014 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  14. darlene

IDOL is getting old!!!!!

January 17, 2014 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  15. Meh

Its probably time to start putting infomercials on the same channel on how to get a GED for those who watch this nonsense

January 17, 2014 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  16. kim

Harry Connick Jr. is hilarious. The show has never been so funny. We are back to watching it again.

January 17, 2014 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
  17. laughingman

I've always waited until American Idol was down to the last dozen singers before I started watching full episodes. The try-outs? Haven't watched them since the beginning. I turned the first episode of this season on and watched the whole damn episode! Not intentionally. I just liked the "chatter" I heard between the judges. There were laughs, chuckles, and snickers... did I mention laughs?
    Just wait until word gets around that this isn't the same old Idol. This line-up works, and it works well!

January 17, 2014 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Melanie Rosser

Idol has my attention again. I found last night's premiere so enjoyable and do not plan to miss an episode! The combination of these three judges, I believe, is the best ever. They all, without a doubt, know how to analyze the characteristics of the singing voice, recognize and appreciate when a contestant sings an original song, and they render comments about each contestant in such a way that the viewers can actually understand what Idol is really looking for. Bravo, Judges!

January 17, 2014 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  18. David Jones

I thought Harry was the best. He calls it as he sees it and is not arrogant and full of himself. On tonight's show when the last contestant, the music healer, he said the guy was a fake. This is what everyone else was thinking but were not willing to say it. I do miss the segments where they show the background of interesting starlets looking for a big break or had to overcome a lot to be where they are. Overall.. well done American Idol. I hope the show gets alot of buzz because it deserves it.

January 17, 2014 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  19. Rob

Yay Harry the whole trio work so well together ...Keith looked so uncomfortably out of place last year,he looks so relaxed
    with Harry and Jlo...Had to fast forward all the utter DRIBLE last year except for the talent and KEITH I probably would have switched off too : ( Now I can't wait till the next show : )

January 16, 2014 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Name*chas

Maybe Harry needs to start appreciating fans and stop mocking them. Irritating

January 16, 2014 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Was a fan...

Loved Harry Connick Jr. as a mentor on the show and was happy to hear he would be a judge this year. Back watching Idol because of him and truly enjoyed the show.

January 16, 2014 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Dan

Harry is simply awesome. Great combination of critical, knowledgeable judging along with a great sense of humor and wit. Too bad the show didn't have this breath of fresh air much sooner. They almost completely ruined the show last year with Nikki Minaj and Mariah. They would be hard pressed to get a better panel of judges than what they have this season, but it would not be the same without Harry, much like it wasn't the same without Simon.

January 16, 2014 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Sue

Haven't enjoyed the show this much in many years. Laughed and laughed at Harry Connick. Very good sense of humor. He judges fairly without being mean. Will watch the full season for the first time in five years.

January 16, 2014 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Spot on Sue. For once I don't have to mute the DVR or give it a 30 second bump to skip the meaningless drivel from the judges. Last season was the worst.

January 16, 2014 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  24. jujubeans

JLo is still HOT!

January 16, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  25. JoJao

I will watch this show in the future only because of Harry Connick Jr. He is an extremely talented and gifted musician (the best on that panel of judges) who, I believe, will give very helpful advices to the AI's contestants.

January 16, 2014 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Suzanne

AWESOME!!!! These three need their own variety show because I have never laughed so hard. Harry is hilarious!!! I literally couldn't breathe from laughing so hard and much. So looking forward to this season, not the show, just the panel.

January 16, 2014 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Tony

Show stinks. Put the fork in it already...

January 16, 2014 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Jan

I love Harry Connick, Jr. The judges had chemistry and the premiere was fun to watch! I didn't watch at all last year after being a faithful fan...so, I am excited to think this year will be better! Loved the little gal who wrote the song about her grandpa.

January 16, 2014 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Marie

Trailer trash at it's finest

January 16, 2014 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  30. LOL

Who wants to bet this comments disappears before the end of the night? What an idiot.

January 16, 2014 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |