'Duck Dynasty' hangs on during controversy, and more news to note
January 16th, 2014

'Duck Dynasty' hangs on during controversy, and more news to note

Today's talk you might've missed:

• For a moment there in December, it looked like "Duck Dynasty" was done for. But even after all of the commentary and complaints, the show still returned to A&E on Wednesday night with decent ratings. They weren't anything to brag about, though: 8.5 million were watching at 10 p.m., which is less than the 2013 Christmas special and the season four premiere last summer. [THR]
  • We wonder if Jim Parsons feels squicky at all about buying the $6.375 million Los Feliz mansion that was once the love nest of Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart. We also wonder if everything there is practically bathed in glitter from "Twilight." [LAT]
  • "Thor" star Chris Hemsworth and Elsa Pataky are going from a family of three to five: the couple are expecting twins in the spring. [Hello!]
  • Hope Ryan Sweeting's marriage with Kaley Cuoco is a long one, otherwise this new tattoo he got is going to be annoying to remove. [GossipCop]
  • Jessica Simpson has finally joined the world of Instagram, and we couldn't be happier about it - now we get to see a close-up of her sister Ashlee's engagement ring. [Jessica Simpson's Instagram]

Filed under: While you were working

1. Brian

I give credit to CNN for not spewing the lie about a big ratings drop, as the desperate hetero-phobic anti-Christians are spewing. The premier ratings dropped, with a little over 12.4 million in the premier of season 4, ending with 8.4 million at the end of season 4 (all before Phil's comments). Season five opened with 8.5 million (100k more than the previous episode) but the GLAAD bigots are just focusing on the premier.

January 19, 2014 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. red

Phil is right from duck dynasty. They will not see the kingdom that God has prepared. Read the bible people.

January 19, 2014 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jimmy

Sarah Palin wouldn't mind giving that thang a shot!!

January 18, 2014 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cole

I don't like this show at all. They kill animals and think it's ok. It's not. Animals are cool.

January 17, 2014 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Annemee

I think they need better writers. They're MEAN and SELFISH throughout the entire show, and then, at the end they talk about the beauty of family. Who would want to be part of that family? The story isn't appropriate for kids; they encourage bullying IMO. And it's too dumb for adults. Initially I really liked Duck Dynasty but I think they've run out of material. Maybe they should just do some special episodes once in a while, and focus on QUALITY instead of trying to churn out one mean-spirited episode after another.

January 17, 2014 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy

Mean and selfish they adopted two kids who had nothing. They put a roof over there heads feed the and obviously pay for all there schooling! So you tell me how this is selfish and mean? Not a show for kids! What would you rather have your kids watch 16 and pregnant or jersey shore? I'm an adult and I think it's good clean humor some shows are funnier than others but that's just how it is every show on TV has good one and better ones.

January 18, 2014 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Clete

Duck Dynasty has fans....that really quacks me up.

January 17, 2014 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cindy

Honestly, this is the first season in the last 3 or 4 that I didn't immediately turn the channel after just a few minutes. This season is GREAT. Instead of focusing on the antics and personalities of the judges, it actually seems to be about the contestants this year. AI has gone back to its roots – and has won me back. It is GREAT !

January 17, 2014 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. pedro

LOL black people!! LOLLLL

January 17, 2014 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy@

I will wallpaper my house with Duck Dynasty wallpaper so cool.

January 17, 2014 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  10. anna

How can anyone vote for Gravity as best film – it was the most boring picture I have every watched!

January 17, 2014 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  11. rednip

I've only seen a few minutes of the show at a time, but it was a nice little show about simple people with money who liked to hunt. When Papa Duck's reactionary politics were exposed (likely after three seasons of heavy editing) he broke the charm. However, at 8.5 million viewers they still have a couple seasons in them, but it will start dropping as many of the likely 'new' viewers will be expecting politics which will not be present.

January 17, 2014 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  12. *

I wonder if IT is blocking the feces posters. Haven't seen them in a while.

January 17, 2014 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
    • @ *

Who is IT ?

January 17, 2014 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • *

Information Technology, otherwise known as the moderator.

January 17, 2014 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • @ *

Yea cnn said a while ago they were going to do something. I did not believe it and I thought it was that rupert dude trolling.

January 17, 2014 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
    • troll buster

Oh, they are still posting. I've been taking them off, too. Seemed as though everyone was sick of them, too. I wasn't wrong on that, was I? I can stop if everyone wants me to. Bloggers choice.

January 17, 2014 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
    • *@tb

If you are indeed the one deleting, don't change a thing.

January 17, 2014 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |