Zoe Saldana is having 'Rosemary's Baby'
January 9th, 2014

Zoe Saldana is having 'Rosemary's Baby'

After having a not-so-hot year theatrically, Zoe Saldana is ready to shake things up.

The newlywed actress is tackling NBC's remake of the horror classic, "Rosemary's Baby." According to Variety, Saldana, 35, will be playing the fated character of the title who, after moving into a creepy Paris apartment and finding herself pregnant, starts to think that something's amiss with what her husband and neighbors want with her baby.

NBC is basing their four-hour miniseries on Ira Levin's 1967 novel, which has already famously been turned into a film by Roman Polanski. That version, released in 1968, starred Mia Farrow (and her iconic haircut) as Rosemary, and John Cassevetes as her husband.

The network's executive vice president for movies, miniseries and international co-productions, Quinn Taylor, gushed to Variety that Saldana "has proven that she is one of our most gifted actresses. (W)e think she has the perfect combination of spirit and gravitas to take on the title role from Ira Levin’s infamous novel. With Zoe leading the cast under the direction of Agnieszka Holland, this reimagined event mini-series is off to a great start.”

Accepting the role of Rosemary has gotten Saldana's year off to a busy start. The actress, who starred in "Out of the Furnace" and "Star Trek Into Darkness" in 2013, is juggling high-profile projects like "Avatar 2," "Guardians of the Galaxy" and the Nina Simone biopic "Nina."

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. Rock

I'd rather shoot the movie where im drilling her from behind personally...it would have a much better ending. I do love me some Zoe.../crisis

January 13, 2014 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. alucarD

I'd eat her azz clean off

January 13, 2014 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jocelyn Michelle

Why? why? why? How could they do a remake of "Rosemary's Baby". It's a classic. It's still scary today, even without blood and gore. Couldn't they just leave well enough alone?

January 12, 2014 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • itsdapoleece

At one point in time I had to agree with you. Remakes felt like a way for movie studios to just make more money off of popular films of the past without doing anything original, and that's probably true. But what I've come to respect about remakes of classic films is how it brings renewed attention to films of the past that haven't been in the public eye in decades. When studios decide to make a remake of a film, the original films will often benefit as well by selling more copies and even being shown in local theaters. This gives a whole new generation the chance to see what moviegoers at the original release had seen before going to compare it to the newer release.

January 27, 2014 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Heidi Martin

This totally turns me off! I am sorry but she does not fit the description of Rosemary and having the movie set in Paris is just crazy! I cannot believe this and I am for a remake if done properly. How can anyone picture a black Rosemary set in Paris? No I am not prejudice but read the book and Rosemary's description. I thought the Bates Motel was pretty bad but this..... I just hope that some director will give this movie a remake that it deserves at some point and enough with this already! Or just leave it alone! I am sure this lady is a fine actress and she is very pretty but Rosemary she will never be!

January 11, 2014 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • itsdapoleece

I'm just spitballing here, but perhaps the director wanted to find a way to make Rosemary feel alone and helpless in a way that she just couldn't be while in America near her friends and family, especially in a world so interconnected with technology nowadays.

I really think Zoe Saldana has the emotional range to pull this character off well. Most of my doubts about this project revolve around how most miniseries fail to draw me into returning to the television for the remaining segments after I've seen the first.

January 27, 2014 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. nancy

What is with Hollywood making remakes of classic movies with a black cast? First Steel Magnolias....then Annie and now Rosemary's Baby?

Leave well enough alone.....all three films were done right the first time.

January 10, 2014 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • nancy

It must be jadapinkettsmith trying to make more money for her family...........

January 10, 2014 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big Shiz

Because black culture is the biggest and most followed culture in the world. So why don't you go back to your trailer park and suck off your brother/father some more.

January 13, 2014 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
    • itsdapoleece

In case you hadn't realized, most movies are remade with their cast and characters preserving the most essential part of any movie, their race. While this article was naively pointing out how the director feels about Zoe Saldana's talent as an actress in her other movies, I'm so glad you could bring us back down to Earth with what's really important here.

January 27, 2014 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mo

I don't know what CNN means about Zoe having 'a not so hot year, theatrically', they listed to the two movies she appears in in 2013 and they were both great, especially Star Trek: Into Darkness. Was she suppsoed to do 5 movies? It's like they slammed her at the beginning of the article only to praise her later....confusing.....

January 10, 2014 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Boo

The suits in Hollywood have run out of ideas....

January 10, 2014 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  8. Lucifer

Havin' my baby
    What a lovely way of sayin'
    How much you love me
    Havin' my baby
    What a lovely way of sayin'
    What you're thinkin' of me
    I can see it, face is glowin'
    I can see in your eyes