Mindy Kaling's Elle cover: Just right, or not enough?
January 7th, 2014

Mindy Kaling's Elle cover: Just right, or not enough?

If you want to see all of Mindy Kaling, it's going to take more than the new February issue of Elle magazine.

The comedic actress/writer/showrunner posed for a stunning portrait for Elle's Women in TV issue, but some have taken issue with the way Kaling was portrayed in comparison to the other funny ladies featured.

The magazine's Women in TV issue actually has four separate covers: one for Kaling, one for "New Girl's" Zooey Deschanel, one for "Parks and Rec" star and future Globes co-host Amy Poehler, and another for "Girls" star Allison Williams.

Kaling is the only actress whose cover photo highlights just her face, and she's also the only one to be portrayed in black-and-white. Given that Kaling, 34, has repeatedly described herself as average-sized when compared to the typical rail-thin celebrity, some observers thought that perhaps Elle had intentionally left Kaling's curves off the cover.

The magazine told E! Online that they have no regrets about the "sexy, beautiful and chic" photo they chose to use of Kaling, and the actress herself has defended the image on Twitter.

"I love my @ELLEmagazine cover. It made me feel glamorous & cool. And if anyone wants to see more of my body, go on thirteen dates with me," Kaling said. Being the saavy businesswoman that she is, she also seized the opportunity to promote Tuesday night's new episode of her Fox comedy, "The Mindy Project."

"Wishing for more skin on my @ELLEmagazine cover? Chris Messina & I are naked on a brand new #themindyproject tonight, ya pervs!" she tweeted. "(It's actually, coincidentally, true. Thank heavens my writers constantly script nudity. So: super funny, totally nude Chris/Mindy tonight!)"

This isn't the first time that Elle magazine has been criticized for its treatment of fuller-figured stars. When Melissa McCarthy was tapped to join Reese Witherspoon and Shailene Woodley as one of the publication's November cover stars, many questioned the choice to hide McCarthy's shape in an oversized coat while Witherspoon and Woodley showed plenty of skin.

The magazine again stood by its styling decision, and McCarthy later explained that she was the one who had picked the coat to begin with. "I’m the one that grabbed the coat off the rack," she told CNN. "I thought it was a fantastic coat, it was really chic."

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. kondordisqus

She is beautiful! Anyone who would pass on a chance to get all over that is cray-cray!

January 15, 2014 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. derp

Kaling is overweight. Why would they show her body?

January 14, 2014 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jocelyn Michelle

It's obvious that they put a picture of just her face on the cover because she doesn't fit the "standards" they have for their full-body shots. It's sad and ridiculous, but that's the way the media is. If you're not tall and thin (or at least thin), you are not perfect enough for them.

January 12, 2014 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • kondordisqus

I am fairly certain Elle is allowed to set whatever standards they want, seeing as how they are the ones publishing the magazine.

It is up to you, as a consumer, to support it or not through purchasing the magazine or commenting on it in a public forum. I am sure your support for Elle and all it stands for is appreciated.

January 15, 2014 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cow

whatever...

January 10, 2014 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  5. Geezstring

Mindy is not attractive and really not in good shape. She is not funny and I could only watch her show for about 10 minutes. She is trying hard – I get that. And she has made a recent splash in the industry. Comparing her to the other covers associated with this article I do not see why she was not posed and shown in the same manner. You can do wonders with photoshop. But I do not think this was a slight or innappropriate. And if she is happy with it – so be it.

January 9, 2014 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • n a m k o S

I impulsively wanted to something disparaging to diminish your point, but then upon reflection realized you made about the most thoughtful comment here today. I thank you for that.

January 9, 2014 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. snow white

Just a really bad cover shot.....hard to look at.

January 9, 2014 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. madhukumar

January 9, 2014 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  8. Weymouth

I love the Black & White picture the best. Much more drama. Stop trying to make it into something bad. She is beautiful no matter what her size. Photographer did a great job getting the best out of her.

January 8, 2014 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Krusty Shakelford

I have a comment, but will not say it.

January 8, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kathleen Wang

The article is called Faces of TV women,not bodies.I love Mindy and the picture is gorgeous and so is she.
    Love her quirky show.Such talent among all these funny women.

January 8, 2014 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. rupert

Also when she is 60+ years old with grey hair,wrinkles,fat, and yellow teeth,I will still like her because its whats inside that counts most.
    Besides,I will be impotent by then anyways. Just saying.

January 8, 2014 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Hot Carl

Kaling = big dumper.

January 8, 2014 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. amanda

I think its a beautiful shot. I love Mindy Kaling and think she has a great body for her bone structure and body type. I would've liked to see a full body shot because i think her natural body is inspiring and realistic. Lets promote a healthy self image- eating right and exercising! Not every woman can be 5'9 and 120 lbs. Its just not realistic.

January 8, 2014 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  14. New Jersey Girl

Mindy is great. Love her show.

January 8, 2014 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  15. FoxyBoy

Seems like the media still obsessed with sticks not with natural buty

January 7, 2014 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Truth hurts

It's a good portrait and the photographer is to be commended. They're in the business of selling magazines. Kaling's body is not photogenic and will not sell magazines. Elle is retaining its readership and doesn't need advice from a media outlet with rapidly declining viewership.

January 7, 2014 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ma'am

Then Elle should put models on the cover instead of actresses/writers. Everybody knows they are just a big ad for the weight loss industry.

January 8, 2014 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • madhu

January 9, 2014 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
    • kondordisqus

Careful now! You will wake the people who are self-conscious about their body and their looks.

January 15, 2014 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  17. cancel that show

Why the heck is Mindy Kaling even getting featured, when Fox is slowly killing her show and the ratings are the lowest for the network? Cancel that terrible show and be done with it.

January 7, 2014 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  18. joyce smith

All of the women look beautiful. People need to get a life and stop making an issue out of everything they preceive to be wrong.

January 7, 2014 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  19. MQBlogR

You're not welcome here either, troll. We don't like you either. Mission accomplished, right?

January 8, 2014 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |