December 31st, 2013

'Price is Right' winner drives off with biggest prize

Sheree L. Heil from Tacoma, Washington is set to have a great 2014.

Playing a game called, "Gas Money," Heil hit it big. Needless to say she was pretty stoked as was the show's host, Drew Carey. Watch the winning moment here:

Filed under: television

1. KayT

Until she has to pay the taxes and insurance on it. I doubt she can afford to keep it!

January 20, 2014 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Steve Kasian

For all of you (dumba55es) who keep crying and whining about those of us who point out the tax issue, here's some more info about how the the lady in this story felt after winning:

"Schwartz says that excitement soon gave way to frustration when she says she realized that, in addition to being responsible for local and federal tax, California law required her to pay state income taxes on her $33,000 prize *before she could even claim her winnings.*

'If you’re broke don’t go to a game show expecting to win,' she said."

Yeah, that's right... YOU HAVE TO PAY TAXES ON YOUR WINNINGS BEFORE YOU CAN EVEN CLAIM THEM. If you don't have the money to pay upfront, you forfeit the prize(s). So put that in your crying, whining, sniveling pipe and smoke it.

January 14, 2014 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Steve Kasian

Wow... I'd imagine she'll be giving that car up directly, unless she's already wealthy – that's about a $40k tax bill she owes on that $150k+ car. Ouch!

January 14, 2014 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mafio Nastra

Unfortunately the fine for that nailpolish she's wearing is $160,000.

January 11, 2014 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Your rigged January 4th ... Tax Payment

We called the maya's office. No payment was due January 4th....you LIED FATHIPS...
    Our payments are due and the end of the month...I called his office too double check.

January 6, 2014 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. We have a staff who reads your garbage...

they are higher level.then you are...everyone hates you

January 6, 2014 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. the motor went off

i guess hes does screw them..hahahaha

January 6, 2014 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bonzai

All of you idiots talking about taxes. STFU and go away you morons.

January 2, 2014 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. a b

she'll crash it within a week

January 1, 2014 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. PokerAnon

The author of this needs to get their facts straight and read the original article before posting. She didn't just win this and ready for the new year. The original article states: "it certainly was a dream moment for Andrea Schwartz, of Reno, Nev., when she got the call while sitting in the audience of a show that aired in April of last year"
    "Schwartz said she decided to offer most of her prizes on Craigslist, selling them for less than they were worth. She still walked away with enough money to start her own food truck and learned a valuable lesson."

It just now hit TV.

January 1, 2014 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • PokerAnon

I meant it didn't just now hit tv

January 1, 2014 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • What...

the heck are you babbling about? What does anything you posted have to do with the article?

January 1, 2014 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pink Haze

"Sheree L. Heil from Tacoma, Washington is set to have a great 2014."

"That's because on Monday she won the biggest prize ever awarded on "The Price is Right." Heil drove off with an Audi R8 V8 Spyder Quattro S Tronic worth more than $157,000."

"Playing a game called, "Gas Money," Heil hit it big. Needless to say she was pretty stoked as was the show's host, Drew Carey."

Do you know how to read? Sorry, but your statement made no sense.

January 1, 2014 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. IpseCogita

Worth $157k new. She will sell it as used for considerably less. Then she will pay 28% federal and 12% California income tax on the new value, or over $60k. In the end she will pocket not much more than $60 herself, maybe less. Still nothing to scoff at, but no where near the payout it is being reported as.

January 1, 2014 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

So how is that any different than when every media outlet reports the big lottery winners? They always headline the amount of the jackpot, not the actual payout after taxes, or often not even the payout in lump sum (instead of annual payments).

January 2, 2014 at 3:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Josh

The difference is that the Lottery is as cash prize. You can take part of that cash, and pay your taxes.

Here, this lady will face a staggering tax bill, and will probably have to sell the car, to pay it.

January 13, 2014 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  12. scott

sell it.get a new corrolla.keep moving.

January 1, 2014 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Pink Haze

For all the people complaining about having to pay taxes on something this women won is funny. I bet each and everyone of you would love to be in her shoes. Are you telling us that you would not be happy with $70,000.00 or more. So she has a little work to do to receive the money. Who cares, she will be $70,00.00 richer. Maybe it's the work that you are against. Prior to going onto the show, everyone is well informed that if they win a prize then they are responsible for the taxes. Don't want to pay taxes, either don't participate in the program or refuse the prizes. Most normal sensible people would love to have won what she did. For all of you complaining about America, get the F#2k out of our Country. Go live somewhere else. You don't want to pay for anything but expect everything for free. I think that's called free loading. We pay taxes to support the services we want. I guess you would have the Country do without education so everyone would be as dumb and stupid as you are/act.

January 1, 2014 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • TNwhiskey

It's not completely unreasonable to not have to pay taxes on something you've won on a game of chance. Lord knows we're taxed for everything else.

January 2, 2014 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  14. HappyB

Are people really complaining about the taxes? I'd rather win $157,000 that has taxes than win $80,000 untaxed. Math is hard.

January 1, 2014 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • TJ

That's all fine and good, but taxes are paid in cash, the prize was awarded in vehicles. So in order to keep the car, she would have to come up with enough cash to pay the taxes, or she'll just have to sell it in order to cover the taxes, then she can buy some other car.

January 6, 2014 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • She pays her taxes for this house...

The Maya is our friend. Do you screw the government?

January 6, 2014 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • EdwardTr

In case of this car yes she will make a decent return, but in cases of other prizes it might be different. Consider you win a trip retailing for 6,000 that will cost you 2,000 in taxes to claim. However anyone can purchased the same trip for 3000, so in reality you actually just won 1000. Decision time, do you want to go on a trip. Selling it might not get you more than few hundred profit.

January 12, 2014 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  15. Steve

As other stated...it happens a lot and not just on the Price is Right.....

January 1, 2014 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Bud Wolf

Put a for sale sign on it. Sell it at a discount, give the IRS their taxes, and keep a nice chunk of cash.

January 1, 2014 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Kat

Oil change will be $1000.00, ma'am. Will that be cash or charge?

January 1, 2014 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  18. little mister© [blogger of the year 2013]

Or. She could just turn in the car to the irs and be paid the difference after taxes, $102,674.87

January 1, 2014 at 6:24 am | Report abuse |
  19. Skipper Sam

Wow
    People are pretty stupid
    The Lady will still win well over 100,000 AFTER taxes !
    She can decline the car and take cash !

January 1, 2014 at 5:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Will Nevin

That's not the way the show work.

On the smaller prizes (the ones bid on for the right to play a pricing game), contestants have the option of taking the cash value. However, with the actual prizes on the show (cars, showcases, etc.), there is no cash value option. She's stuck with a $150,000 sports car.

January 1, 2014 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  20. Canadian Nathan

too bad she didnt win it in canada where taxes dont apply to winnings

January 1, 2014 at 5:32 am | Report abuse |
    • somanyballs

Although in Canada the top prize would be $50 gift certificate to Red Lobster and a book of postage stamps.

January 1, 2014 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  21. todd

Yeah. Man, the taxes. I'd rather just win a $3 can of soup.

January 1, 2014 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave Green

Simple..Sell the car, pay the taxes, buy a reasonably priced car and still have plenty left over to take a vacation.

January 1, 2014 at 5:01 am | Report abuse |
    • stevie

That's why you are eating soup and she's eating steak.

January 8, 2014 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  22. mr sensitive

As my friend, Peerless Pat would say, that young lady now has cache.

January 1, 2014 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  23. little mister©

Hi gonna watch
    Law and order

January 1, 2014 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Fur Reelz?

I pegged you as more of a Matlock kinda guy. Or Murder She Wrote.

January 1, 2014 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
    • aldo

What's Angela Merkel doing there?!

January 1, 2014 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Bull

The car might not look so attractive once the following years excise or value tax bill comes in based on the value of the car. Take the money that way you only get hit once in the purse.

January 1, 2014 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  24. T. Axes

Has nobody thought about the whopping income tax bill she's going to face? I can't believe that not even one person has commented on that.

December 31, 2013 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • winstonchurchillscigar

She won 10,000 also.

January 1, 2014 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Hindsight 20/20

I bet if she had it to do all over again, she would stay home and not even go on the show. Cause of the taxes and stuff.

January 1, 2014 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
    • glauber

She can sell the other stuff to pay the income tax on the whole haul. Or she can just sell the car, pay the tax on all of it and keep a wad of money.

January 1, 2014 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Nl

Why be scared of taxes?

January 1, 2014 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Walt

She cannot sell the car to pay the taxes because she must first pay the taxes before she obtains ownership of the car.

January 1, 2014 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  25. little mister©

Once again.I would like to thank all u. The little people for voting me "news blogger of 2013"
    I exceeded expectations with my thought pro voking posts.

December 31, 2013 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Genius

Herr derrrrrr....why, I wouldn't even accept that thar automobile on live TV cuz'a all them incomes tax theys have on 'em. No siree bob!

December 31, 2013 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  27. timmytom

Just wait until she gets the Tax bill for it

December 31, 2013 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  28. The Taxes

OK, but there is something that everybody is forgetting about here. She's going to have to pay taxes on that thing!

December 31, 2013 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tax Man

Not only that, but she's going to have a huge tax bill! I wouldn't want a tax bill like that. I'd have to sell the car or take out a loan just to pay the tax bill.

THE TAX BILL!

January 1, 2014 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Wow

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. It caused me to look at my pay stub and OMG... they are taking tax's right out of my paycheck... I guess with this new knowledge I am going to have to quit my job. Why in the heck am I getting up and working when this whole time they have been taking tax's out of my earnings. I beg you, you newest and wisest friend, to join me in quitting your job.

January 1, 2014 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  29. Alvarez

It appears as though a king sized Hershey bar has melted in my underpants.

December 31, 2013 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  30. jared

Taxes will be 33% of the vehicles price tag. Around $52K in taxes. Unless the price is right will pay her taxes, she will have to refuse the vehicle. however, she can claim that this is a second hand car, because it was owned by the price is right first and then shave off a huge depreciation factor...either way she can't afford it....same thing happened on the Oprah winfrey show when she gave away a car to everyone.

December 31, 2013 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • stephen

There is nothing that says she has to keep it. Take the car (its worth $157 k), offer it for sale for $125k, pay the $52k in taxes and pocket $73 k. Who wouldn't do that?

December 31, 2013 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • montyross

U dont know her or her financial position or her wealthy relatives. Not everyone is like U!

January 1, 2014 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
    • stephen

If you look at my reply to Jared I am only stating that IF the lady cannot afford the taxes on the car, she can always sell the car, pay the taxes and pocket the difference. That would be a better option than refusing the car, as she would not gain any benefit from that course. If she has the financial ability to afford the taxes, then obviously she does not have to take the route of selling the car, unless she chooses to. I have no idea what her "wealthy relatives" may or may not do; likewise MY social and wealth (or lack thereof) standing has no relevance in this matter.

January 1, 2014 at 3:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Erick46

56 grand is the cost of a medium priced BMW, which many people can afford. So if she really wants the car, she can probably " buy " it for that. If not, which is MY case, she can do just as you said.

January 1, 2014 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  31. troll buster

I have been reading your comments to me. Exactly, what do you people want me to do? There has to be a consensus before I start taking off more than the nonsense troll and the dating sites. Btw, I have a real job, for the person who thought this is all I do. You might notice that I'm not here all the time. So people, let's hear it. What do you want to see happen on this blog?

December 31, 2013 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Georg

I just read up on your laws, amazingly she WILL have to pay taxes (25%) on this car in most states. I cannot find any other word for this than "sham" or "big joke" if a so called "winner" of a prize would have to hand out $40k to even be able to receive his "winnings". Lol, seriously your country is just...OFF. Out of curiosity and seeing that the lady indeed resembles Angela Merkel..I looked up the law in Germany....needless to say any winnings from sweepstakes incl. cars are tax EXEMPT in Germany. (Which I would actually expect, otherwise the term "winning" I can only see as a big joke, at least as it concerns the US. So remind me..should I ever go back to the US...never to participate in any game show or sweepstakes or whatever shams you have there).

December 31, 2013 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dean

Must be awful to live in your world of negativity. I would gladly pay $40,000 for a $157,000 vehicle.

December 31, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • David Geffeney

I am with Georg, it is way too hard for us who live here. We have 1/20th of the worlds population and yet only 25% of the worlds GDP. I am not even sure how we get by with our tax induce squalor. The fact that this woman can elect to take cash for that car in about the amount of $85,000 (after taxes) is impossible for me to ignore as anything less than a joke. She should not have even woken up that morning, for that is not worth her time. It is events like this that make me ashamed to be an American. That is the last straw, I am moving to Haiti where laws of fairness and resources abundant will make for a more sensible living situation. Thank you Georg for reminding us how bad we have it here.

December 31, 2013 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • FullyAgree

The U.S. is one of the few countries that has such a stupid tax rule. Same thing goes for those mega jackpots: they get advertised as 'close to a billion dollars', but after taxes it's far from it. At least most other countries don't tax lottery winnings etc...

December 31, 2013 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • helm

Here's an idea Georg. If you don't like the USA, or how things are done here,how about you leave,don't bother visiting etc...that would be one way all of us would be winners.....

December 31, 2013 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Claire

We can only hope, Georg, that you never decide to dirty American soil again with your whining and complaining. People know that they will be taxed and can chose to not go on game shows if they don't want to pay the taxes. Something your kind are too stupid to figure out, huh?

December 31, 2013 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • iRex

Winnings are taxed as earned income in America.

December 31, 2013 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Luis

That's ok she can still buy a much prettier car like a Jaguar F type with the after tax money. I hate taxes too but I know they pay for stuff we elect to have as a group: large powerful army, nice roads, parks, cops,schools... and so on... if we want to lower our taxes then we can vote to have less stuff, can't have it both ways :)

December 31, 2013 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • here is a thought

Sickness other of f and call it night oh boring one. I'm guessing this is what u losers want a yawn fest

December 31, 2013 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • tas20036

Remember the first Survivor show? The winner got $1M plus he made $400k in the talk show circuit.

And he didn't have to pay a dime in taxes.

Or so he thought.

Hope he's enjoying his stint in prison.

December 31, 2013 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian

@ Dean, I agree with your reasoning, but I live in Canada. Lotteries are also exempt here, if you win a mil you get a mil. Interest on it once you put it in the bank is taxable. How would feel to win "1 million dollars" then get told it's only in annuities unless you settle for $765K, then get taxed down to $525? SUCKS to be American sometimes.

December 31, 2013 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dude

Most game shows offer a cash equivalent or cash alternate on bigger prizes.

The reason they give away a specific item, rather than cash, is advertising. The company who's product is featured pays good money for the placement.

December 31, 2013 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Buck

LOSER

January 2, 2014 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  33. little mister©

Where are sky and tracie

December 31, 2013 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  34. little mister©

Stop stealing my name!
    Cnn. Make them stop

December 31, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  35. seat21d

I think her real name is Angela Merkel

December 31, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Jim1973

Knowing all the tax problems she is about to have and she won't really be able to keep this car, I would have just turned down the car flat out on national television. People go on these shows expecting to win but then come to reality of not being able to keep the prizes.

December 31, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wow, Jimbo

U R soooo FKing cool! Can I be u?

December 31, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • aj

or....she could sell the car and keep the money...any free money is a good money

December 31, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • DT

HA you are correct. She owes regular tax on that. At least $40,000 to IRS and some to her state?

December 31, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • kaemicha

It used to be that you couldn't sell merchandise won on TV shows. No matter, I'd take that car in a heartbeat and sell what I'm driving now, for taxes. If you don't want to pay taxes on a prize you shouldn't go on a game show.

December 31, 2013 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Uncle Frank

right taxes alone will clobber you. expense and upkeep. People dont think of these things. Woman should just sell it. I remember a guy won a $380,000.00 lamborghini a few years back and smashed it 6 hours later.

December 31, 2013 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • here is a thought

Apparently the spot was already taken by urban lame a s s ! What a bunch of boring m – fers

December 31, 2013 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Jeff

How much in taxes did she have to pay for that car?

December 31, 2013 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

WA state sales tax runs about 9% Sucks to live here.

December 31, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim1973

Sales tax is 9.5%, there is no income tax. She will most likely have to opt for the cash and not get the car. Washington State is an awesome state to live in but Tacoma is not the best spot to live.

December 31, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • NotYoDaddy

When it is all said and done, about half.

December 31, 2013 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Al

She still gets $75 G after taxes. Doesn't sound so bad to me.

December 31, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • dt

You pay ordinary income tax to the IRS, plus any state tax. It is a prize, it is taxable income of $157,000.

December 31, 2013 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • little mister©

I know u are one of them jeff.
      U STOP STEALING MY NAME. UNDERSTOOD?
      That goes for the others

December 31, 2013 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  38. arch

Has anybody stopped to think that maybe she can afford the taxes, etc., and wants to keep the car? I'm sure she will find a way to do what she needs to do to get the car and either sell it or keep it. Congrats to her for winning, which on TV shows isn't the easiest thing to do..

December 31, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Price is Right

On the Price is Right, What you when is awarded just like you won the lottery. Depending on your income, that could be close to 50% of the price of the item won. In the case of a car, The Price is Right arranges for the vehicle to be available for pickup from a dealership in your state. However if you live in a remote area, or the only dealership for that car is on the other side of the state, your transportation costs could be a big factor. Finally, the vehicles are not released until you have satisfied the tax requirements. So you won't be allowed to pick it up, then advertise it and sell it and then pay your tax bill. So if she really wants this car, she'll either have to have the money for the tax bill, or get some sort of loan until she sells the car and is able to pay back the loan. The Price is Right does not offer any cash equivalent for their prizes. If you can't pick it up or pay the taxes on it, then you get nothing. That being said if she had the money for the taxes, she still could clear $50-70k after selling it. I wouldn't turn down that kind of money. Just a huge amount of hassle to get it.

December 31, 2013 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Bob C.

She won't be so happy when the tax bill comes due for that car. Oh yes, folks: she has to pay income taxes on the value of that car. I'm guessing she will have to take the cash equivalent or sell the car in order to pay the tax bill.

December 31, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

You just finance what is owed for taxes, and use the car as collateral. That's what I did when I won a car from a local radio station.

December 31, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ricky

Well, she can't take the cash equililant. You either take the prize or forfiet if you can't afford the taxes. Only rare time you can get the cash option is if the prize can't get delivered to the winner. Either way, she could get a loan for the tax amount, claim the car, then turn around and sell it. She'd still make a huge profit.

December 31, 2013 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  41. sales tax sales tax omg!! the sales tax

Sales tax

December 31, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

Vehicles are subject to sales tax regardless if it's won. Also, she will be subject to federal and state income taxes on the vehicle since it's a prize.

December 31, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • davecu

(Report Abuse)

December 31, 2013 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarcFR

If she lives in Tacoma, she's subject to a 9.5% sales tax (roughly $15K on that car), and the $157K gets added to her taxable income. Her income tax bill this year will be upwards of $60K owed to Uncle Sam.

December 31, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Buck

How can there be sales tax when nothing was sold. It was given away you IDIOTS. THERE IS NO SALES TAX. Don't any of you people have any education. I will teech you people something.

January 2, 2014 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  42. JM07

Has anyone even thought about the sales tax? I bet there will be sales tax. I wonder how much the sales tax will be. I bet she won't even be able to keep the car because of the sales tax. Also, sales tax.

December 31, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

To be clear, it is not sales tax that she will be paying. You pay sales tax when you buy something. This is something that she won, so the value of the car will be applied towards her income for 2013. She will pay additional sums as part of her income tax for 2013.

December 31, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  43. johnnyph12

I don't think its fair that Chancellor of Germany even gets to play the Price Is RIght.

December 31, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  44. BLOG POLL

What do you want troll buster to delete beside that rant and rave troll and the dating spam? One person said anyone not on topic. Another said tracie. Another said palintwit and alveriz. I vote for name hijackers. Cause they so obvious it ain't that person. It stoopid to hijack a name. What you vote for?

December 31, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Carlos Marin

'This video is not authorized for your location' Hmmm... what the...?

December 31, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Jack Knauff

you're all winners!!! leeerooooooy jenkins!

December 31, 2013 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  47. LOL

Wow I hope the sales tax is covered or she will be in for a big surprise!

December 31, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeez

Shut up about the taxes already...

December 31, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • psycho

re: Jeez. the sales tax IS important for the winner. at 5%, it's 7800$. yeah, kind of a big deal......

December 31, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • jurby

@Jeez – you are obviously ignorant of tax laws in the US and that any kind of prize and/or gift you get is considered income therefore you have to pay taxes on it. yep, that's right Jeez, unless the show pays this woman's taxes on the car she won she will be on the legal hook to pay taxes on it. you might want to read up on tax laws Jeez...

December 31, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Billy

5%? It's like income, so it would be taxed much higher than that. She just "made" $157,000, so she is now in a high tax bracket and will pay more than $50K in taxes.

December 31, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beeker

Can we talk more about the tax impact? Nobody seems to be talking about the taxes.

January 1, 2014 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  48. little mister©

Hello to all my new on line friends. Ty all for making me feel welcome.
    I look forward to 2014.
    Happy new yr. u too cnn
    And remember, no one is a failure who has friends.
    Thx for the wings.

December 31, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Person

German Chancellor Angele Merkel was on The Price Is Right?

December 31, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  50. tags

they have a number of videos with people winning 1 Million on the final showcase.... something about hitting the price close enough. Why are they calling this the biggest? Its ok CNN givem free publicity

December 31, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeremy

They said biggest prize, not total winnings. For a single prize this was their biggest yet.

December 31, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  51. JBHedgehog

What lovely people on this board!

Wait...let me go and hit myself in the head with a hammer a few times and I'll fit right in.

December 31, 2013 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  52. Answer for "Question for troll buster"

Stop trying to police random comment streams on the internet – it's not worth your time. You're welcome.

December 31, 2013 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |

Why would he? His fingers hurt from deleting all the other ones lol!

December 31, 2013 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • I thought...

Troll buster was the police.

December 31, 2013 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • appears to me

that troll buster has a job. I don't see any trolls being deleted. how come you don't hit the abuse button if things bother you? from what he said it don't take to many presses on it to make the Id!ots go away.

December 31, 2013 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • from what I'm seeing

Troll buster can now kiss my a s s
      If lame a s s es- !!/ f-en auto correct!!!/
      Are gonna be posting about taxes, politics
      might as well keep the hackers, dating sites, Tracie on here instead.
      F! K you a s s holes
      I'm done with this bs

December 31, 2013 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Question for troll buster

Hi, can you delete comments that are off topic? since most of them are troll comments, that would make this blog better. Thx for getting rid of the nasty ones.

December 31, 2013 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  54. JellyBean

CNN, please block the fat hip troll.

December 31, 2013 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  55. Brad

The tax on winnings is over 50%. So, she would have to sell the car just to pay the taxes on it, and be left with nothing. But, since she sells the car, she'll have to claim THAT on her taxes at the end of the year.

December 31, 2013 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Amy

Yes, this happened to my brother. He won a car from an online sweeps and he had to sell the car just to pay the taxes owed on his "winnings".

December 31, 2013 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • nobaddays68

Your sir, are correct

December 31, 2013 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

She would still owe the taxes on the car even if she didn't sell.

December 31, 2013 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  56. carpe

the gameshow should pay the taxes on prizes you win.

December 31, 2013 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • bob the taxpayer

In Canada, there are no taxes on lottery or game winnings. Maybe the prize supplier pays the tax, I don't know. Quebec has different laws and many companies that offer random prizes exclude Quebec in their draws (the government laws and french language laws are not worth it).

December 31, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

Why should they pay the taxes? They gave you a car.

December 31, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Don

Then they wouldn't give away big prizes like this. Even with "normal" cars, the amount of extra cash the show would have to give away adds up. (Then again, they can just make the games harder – "For a new car, is the price $15,861, $15,862, $15,863, $15,864, or $15,865?")

As for the winner keeping the car, everybody mentions taxes, but nobody has mentioned the other problem with winning an expensive car – the expensive insurance that goes with it!

December 31, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Carla

Good lord, what is wrong with this woman?! This is not a win...it's a huge loss to her. She will not be signing that paper acknowledging she has to pay taxes, on this car. She will not be taking this gem home to her home. She would have been better off with a washer and dryer than this car.

December 31, 2013 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  58. Rick

Did they forget to tell us that she will have to pay tax on that item? That is...cash she does not have on hand. I'd say keep the car and give me the money!!!

December 31, 2013 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • onetimeplayer

I knew someone who was ON TPIR and apparently (back then)you could choose either the furnished gift(as they called them) OR cash value as your prize if you WON something. Yes, you have to claim it on your return but your tax bill is still calculated on your TOTAL year income, not one prize.

December 31, 2013 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  59. TLORop

You have to pay the taxes before you can take the car home.

December 31, 2013 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  60. JC1010

Angela Merkel strikes it rich on American game show. Now maybe she won't be so stingy to her Greek, Italian and Spanish fellow-EU members.

December 31, 2013 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • JT

Why is it Germany's responsibility to bail out a bunch of countries that can't get their fiscal house in order? The Greeks, Italians, and Spanish got themselves into a mess and should have to get themselves out.

December 31, 2013 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  61. malktntnt

The CA taxes alone will kill you! Hell the registration is $15k – good lord.

December 31, 2013 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  62. bubba jones

she didn't win it because now shes gotta pay taxes on it. my bet is the car wont be in her driveway anytime soon.

December 31, 2013 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Zach

She probably doesn't even drive. When she ran over to get into the car, she got in on the passenger side. But she seems like a nice lady, so I hope she enjoys the car or makes some cash off of it.

December 31, 2013 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  63. yankee hotel foxtrot

Great album. Wilco is the best.

December 31, 2013 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  64. *

Loser.

December 31, 2013 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  65. #

Winner.

December 31, 2013 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  66. little mister©

Poseur.

December 31, 2013 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  67. Holy crap

You are a blithering idiot.

December 31, 2013 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  68. I

don't see troll buster today. I hope he don't stop cause cnn ain't going to do nothing. i press the abuse button and nothing happens cept cnn says they will look in to it. riiiiiiiite !

December 31, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  69. cuz

It could be it's new year eve & the man has much better things to do than come on here & delete rubbish all the time. Has anyone ever considered that he is doing this for a fri'nd `[just saying]`; removing the garbage hacker|internet comments which were many, that nobody were able to carry on any kind of conversations on here? Stop taking him for granted & be grateful that he is getting rid of the hacker>dating sites. Stop demanding more from him. To be quite honest, if I was him, I would let this place to hell. Same bs as always.

No CNN.don't and won't do anything bout it cuz they rather cater their time scratching their , loose, floor dragging ba?s

December 31, 2013 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  70. aj

or she could just sell it and keep the money.

December 31, 2013 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Sane Person

Or you're 7.

January 1, 2014 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  72. Wow

I don't suppose telling you that sleeping with a blow up doll is not actually considered "sleeping with someone." So I will just suggest that you keep that little pin sized thing in your undies and not poke a hole in the one you are sleeping with, lest it fly around the room making whistling noises.

January 1, 2014 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  73. L

Attention to detail is very important. In the first paragraph it says "...she won the biggest prize ever awarded on The Price is Right. " That doesn't mean on any game show ever, but the biggest on the Price is Right specifically.

January 1, 2014 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  74. L^2

The clock game _is_ a "Price is Right" game...however in the spirit of your post, prize could be inferred as physical and tangible items...unlike cash.

January 21, 2014 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |