Leonardo DiCaprio answers 'Wolf of Wall Street' critics
December 31st, 2013

Leonardo DiCaprio answers 'Wolf of Wall Street' critics

Leonardo DiCaprio has a message for those who think his latest film "The Wolf of Wall Street" glorifies greed or condones the actions of those who bilked investors out of money: you have "missed the boat entirely."

The actor gave an interview to HitFix in which he spoke out about the controversy and criticism surrounding the Martin Scorsese directed film.

"It's exciting to be a part of a film, in a way, that is kind of bold and is taking a chance like that, and I think that anyone that thinks this is a celebration of Wall Street and this sort of hedonism — yes, the unique thing about Marty is that he doesn't judge his characters," DiCaprio said. "And that was something that you don't quite understand while you're making the movie, but he allows the freedom of this almost hypnotic, drug-infused, wild ride that these characters go on. And he allows you, as an audience — guilty or not — to enjoy in that ride without judging who these people are. Because ultimately, he keeps saying this: 'Who am I to judge anybody?'"

Not only have the reviews for the movie been polarizing, the daughter of one of the men involved in the financial scheme the film is based on has spoken out. Christina McDowell wrote an open letter for the LA Weekly expressing her disappointment with the making of "Wolf of Wall Street." Jordan Belfort, the real life financier that DiCaprio portrays in the film, testified against her father, Tom Prousalis, she said.

"You people are dangerous," McDowell wrote. "Your film is a reckless attempt at continuing to pretend that these sorts of schemes are entertaining, even as the country is reeling from yet another round of Wall Street scandals."

CNN Money: Real 'Wolf of Wall Street' says he will give film royalties to victims

In his interview, DiCaprio characterizes the film, on which he also served as a producer, as shining a much needed light.

"I mean ultimately I think if anyone watches this movie, at the end of "Wolf of Wall Street," they're going to see that we're not at all condoning this behavior," he said. "In fact we're saying that this is something that is in our very culture and it needs to be looked at and it needs to be talked about. Because, to me, this attitude of what these characters represent in this film are ultimately everything that's wrong with the world we live in."

Filed under: movies

1. Dave

Yea...ok Leo...and Scarface deterred people from selling drugs...

January 20, 2014 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Andy

I can't believe how naive both Scorsese and Di Caprio are if they think that "The wolf of wall street" is not going to encourage people to see greed as a justifiable and even enjoyable human trait. There was a great opportunity here, but "The wolf of wall street" fails to show the devastating consequences that reckless greed has on our society. It's a shame that both these incredibly creative minds have channelled their powers into such a one-sided perspective of a huge issue. Di Caprio states that Scorsese doesn’t judge his characters, but he did choose not to show the most important ramifications of his character’s actions and to spend nearly 3 hours showing off the most trivial. They say it’s a dark comedy, but where’s the dark?

January 19, 2014 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  3. Thomas

Stupid movie; foul language, portrays greed, lust, and a whole bunch of wickedness. No wonder our kids are weirdos killing people in schools.

January 11, 2014 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bill

Best movie I've seen it at least 2-3 years.

January 8, 2014 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. Meh

Who?

January 5, 2014 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bob OHearn

Some people say that humans are basically good, but that does not jibe with the fact that the majority of us are rather greedy, envious, and hateful, which is also the reason why we are still doing time on this rock, and will continue to do so until we grow up and stop behaving like mad children.

January 5, 2014 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. woodie

Wall Street is crooked as a dogs hind leg. I'm not interested in seeing that portrayed on the big screen.

January 4, 2014 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. joedog

I read that Scorsese had the F Bomb dropped 506 times in the movie. Now this picture can take over as Scorsese's worst flick by moving Scarface into 2nd place for the dumbest and most juvenile screenplay ever made.

January 3, 2014 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
  9. prad

By glorifying crime, think leo has lost a lot of good will he earned over the years. Like like celebrating the pleasures of Drug !! and then saying its not. disgusting. thanx to the movie, the real criminal is also set to benefit from a TV reality show !!

January 3, 2014 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Brian

I didn't even see the movie yet I get Leo's point. It's not about making a movie to cast judgement. It's telling a story. When the mini-series Roots was made, do you think it would have the same impact if the director removed the slaves being whipped, because "it condones violence"? THIS IS THE WORLD WE LIVE IN. I guess people want to sweep the "dirt" under the rug. Decadence, greed, corruption on Wall Street.

January 13, 2014 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  10. Gimmea Break

I 'm not going to see it. I'm looking at the economy ppl like this hand to us every few years. Lies, theft, deception leaving millons without pensions or retirements or savings. So I'm supposed to watch a slimeball from Wall Street have a great time as long as he gets caught at the end? No thank you. Thanks for the Morality Tale, Leo, but I don't need it. No one on Wall Street has really actually paid for what they did to this country.

January 3, 2014 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  11. saw it

I wonder how leo researched for the burning candle scene..........he's method, right?

January 3, 2014 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  12. Ford Fischer

Two months ago, I had the opportunity to sit down and interview Jordan Belfort himself, the subject of the film. The interview can be seen at http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1059811 I think I support the filmmakers and Belfort himself for understanding the dangers of the mindset Belfort had back in those days. He realizes his behavior was destructive. He realizes the harm from his own greed. He is brutally honest about how his actions hurt himself, his family, and countless victims, and to an intelligent audience, this film has a real lesson to teach about greed. I absolutely support the making of this film, and invite criticism of the lifestyle portrayed, but not its portrayal.

January 2, 2014 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. The Great Ordini

Whoever doesn't like (love) this masterwork... I don't love or like you... You're not someone I want to know. You're clueless.

January 2, 2014 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • joedog

It appears that your sentiments have been influenced by Scorsese. I see that you just raised your head from a table and about a half pound of Bolivian Marching Powder is stuck to your face.

January 3, 2014 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jones

Scorsese has lost his touch the departed was one of the worse movies ever made. Plot had more holes than Swiss cheese. We seemed to hold on to directors long after they have fallen off just because of some good movies 15 years ago

January 2, 2014 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Al

Movie was awesome

January 2, 2014 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jessica

I couldn't believe this was a Scorsese movie. It was that bad.

January 2, 2014 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Sandra

AWFUL! LEFT AFTER 45 MINUTES – A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY. EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED ANYONE COULD DO SUCH A REVOKING MOVIE

January 2, 2014 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

Did you mean revolting? Revoking does not make sense in the context in which you used it.

January 3, 2014 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  18. ZenCandy

Hated it. Brilliant movie, because I related to it and responded to it–however I knew that ultimately it was *ME* they were screwing, *I* was the victim–right down to the ticket purchase.

January 2, 2014 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Doug

Leo is right– the whole point of the movie is that, even though Belfort and Stratton-Oakmont seem invincible and dominant with their drugs and partying lifestyles, that they come crashing down quickly– all because that lifestyle doesn't really work. If you pay attention to the story arc, this film is clearly making a statement about how this lifestyle doesn't work.

January 2, 2014 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Big Kar

Saw it last night...I dont care about all the political BS...the movie was flat out funny and entertaining...and thats all I care about.

January 2, 2014 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  21. Ajay101

This article is in need of some claification. The REAL Jordan Belfort is not willingly giving the film royalties to the victims, he is holding on to the money in an attempt to renegotiate a court mandate to repay victims a ttl of 110 Mill

January 2, 2014 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  22. savithiru

vitula appa irukum podu than romantic songs poduviya

January 2, 2014 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  23. Savithiri

Nilam thirunthave matiya un alambals thanga mudiyala bujji ma

January 2, 2014 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  24. alex

Hollywood people talking about how terrible greed is. Yet this guy makes about $20 million per movie. Once these stars star making $25,000 to $50,000 a year, I'll take them more seriously.

January 1, 2014 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fae

Oh, get over it. People pay to see these movies. Almost NONE of these "hollywood people" / actors start out making that kind of money, by the way (Haven't you ever heard the term 'struggling artist?'). Actors are performers, and performers are paid to entertain people. That's a big deal. He didn't con anyone out of the money, he didn't steal it, he didn't get it by immoral means. It's his salary, so who are you to judge that and say he's like, a hypocrite? And that he can't talk about how greed is bad because HE is fortunate enough to have a good salary!? Suddenly only people with $50,000 or less are allowed to talk about greed or be taken seriously for the work they do!?

January 2, 2014 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • @alex

Once YOU manage to increase your pay to 25k-50k per year, maybe we'll start taking YOU more seriously.

January 3, 2014 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Sass

I really think Leo is a fantastic actor.. I will see this movie, and I'm sure I will enjoy it. Marty and Leo do not make bad pictures...I think it is true to say that we could all use I good look in the mirror, and try not to throw any stones while you catch a glimpse of yourself. Belfort is really all of us,, in some way...we all want to be him...in some way...we all want to live like KNGS AND QUEENS,.,,,don't we?.. Honesty is key here,, and honesty is what Belfort's book is all about. the onion was pealed..

January 1, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • (S)ass

Will you...please...quit...it...with all..the...unnecessary...elipses...? Thank...you...

January 1, 2014 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alice Olson

Speak for yourself. I like the way I live right now and I'm no queen, never will be, have no interest in being. Nor do I want to be a banker or a stock manipulator or to get rich putting people out of their homes or destroying their livelihoods. Maybe this is what you want, but don't say "we all want it" because lots of us don't.

January 1, 2014 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Fred

Okay, we'll accept the fact that this movie isn't glorifying or condoning anything. Yet for three hours it felt like we were watching a more lively version of the Jersey Shore reality show...no story to back it up.The writing is obvious and lacking, and the acting, well the acting coincides with the writing. We couldn't relate to these characters because we never really got to know them. If you build a message, they will come. And all the negative criticism is saying, "YOU missed the boat."

January 1, 2014 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Melanie Nathan

On a positive note – though I am not one to respond to cold calls – maybe it will wake those idiots who do UP.... to realize that at the end of each and every phone call is another CON waiting to happen. Thats the part of the film that amazed me. That people can even fall for such BS. Maybe iot will wake the rest of America up to its own greed.

January 1, 2014 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sass

I have not seen the movie yet!! I plan to see it. I looks like a wild ride with a crash landing,,, which is fun, its a MOVIE!! I I respect people/actors/humanitarians/artists/rich/poor/greedy/virtuous/ WHATEVER....you go for the ride and then you go home...Its a movie people!! And I LOVE MOVIES!!! :) Can't wait to watch!!

January 1, 2014 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • (S)ass

I...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................have not............................................................................................................................................................................seen it.........................................................................................................................either.......

January 1, 2014 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  27. short and sweet

This movie is clearly depicting the reality of this peeny stockbroker. I never sensed any condoning of the awful behavior. Martin Scorcese simply took us to the insanity of Belford's world. Clearly the FBI agent, played by Kyle Chandler, was the hero of the story. There was comedy in the movie, but I was laughing at the charactors, not with them

January 1, 2014 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
  28. chambedj

Pretty interesting response by the father.....there are 2 sides to every story.... http://www.costaricantimes.com/tom-prousalis-response-to-wolf-of-wall-street-letter/23783

December 31, 2013 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Name*mP

Even though I follow Di Caprio's idea about making a movie like this, I still think it is a vision of the US that didn't need to be shown to other countries which will thrive on saying : Look how perverted they are,,etc..
    This movie should stay in the US only and for the US only

December 31, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  30. FeedTheRightWolf

I call it the 'Scarface' syndrome. People who watch these films as training videos, rather than the social commentaries they are.

December 31, 2013 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Heeeeeyyyyyy...

I can relate to that. I watched a lot of the Happy Days TV show growing up and have based my entire existence and person upon the Fonz.

December 31, 2013 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  31. SKY

FACT; ACTORS, PRODUCTORS, THEY HAVE A JOB...THEY MAKE MONEY.....
    WHEN YOU HAVE TO EXPLAIN YOURSELF ESPECIALLY TO PEOPLE YOU DON"T KNOW
    YOU SECOND GUESS YOURSELF....

December 31, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Madeline

It's a movie people. It is meant to entertain. Why does everything have to be so political and taken so personally?
    Nobody said it was wrong or right. They have left it to the interpreter (movie goer) to leave with their own reflection of what was seen.

December 31, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Hello Marquee Blogg

Please delete all this trolls nonsense. This is really stale and old.

January 1, 2014 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |