Jennifer Lawrence: It should be illegal to call someone fat
December 18th, 2013

Jennifer Lawrence: It should be illegal to call someone fat

Jennifer Lawrence is not a saint.

But, as she argues in Barbara Walters' "Most Fascinating People of 2013" special, she's also not a member of the media.

In the pre-taped special that's airing on Wednesday, Walters points out that Lawrence is sensitive about the press sitting in judgment of women on the red carpet.

"Why is humiliating people funny?" the 23-year-old Oscar winner said. "I get it, and I do it too, we all do it. But I think when it comes to the media, the media needs to take responsibility for the effect that it has on our younger generation, on these girls that are watching these television shows and picking up how to talk and how to be cool. So then all of a sudden, being funny is making fun of the girl that's wearing an ugly dress."

Lawrence doesn't call it out by name in the clip, but she has previously taken a stance against E!'s "Fashion Police," which is known for its sometimes cutting coverage of awards show ensembles. And if it were up to Lawrence none of the "Fashion Police" personalities - or anyone on TV, really - would be able to say the "F" word in particular.

"The word fat, I just think it should be illegal to call somebody fat on TV. If we're regulating cigarettes, and sex, and cuss words, because of the effect it has on our younger generations, why aren't we regulating things like calling people fat?"

What do you think - does J. Law have a point? See the entire interview when Barbara Walters' "Most Fascinating People" special airs on ABC at 9:30 p.m. ET.

Filed under: Celebrities

1. MeMelvin

"Fat" like most other nouns and adjectives I know of is a perfectly good word. Been around a long time. If a person or an animal is "fat", it is "fat". Perfectly good desciption when true.

Given the obesity problem there is in the USA, we should probably be using the word more often. To throw it in the pile with George Carlin's famous seven words and make it illegal to even utter is the dumbest idea I have heard from anyone lately.

The problem mostly being Americans are getting fatter every day. We do it to ourselves!

And PC isn't going to change it by calling them gastronomically challenged or calorically over-consumptive. It is a barrel of "pre-elimination undigested fat". Not total unlike Jennifers spewing.

January 16, 2014 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dan Britten

How about everybody just gets over themselves instead?

January 16, 2014 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. mercenary76

the united states of the easily offended along with too many politically correct hollywood types .

January 14, 2014 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Walter Weinzinger

Now political-correctness should be enforced by law, but only if it's going to be published by the media! What people only get called 'fat' on TV during safe-harbor time (10pm-6pm) when it's OK to air indecent material? Good thing she's just a Law-rence and not a law-maker!

January 14, 2014 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. George

Illegal to call someone fat? How about we just call them slim-challenged.

January 9, 2014 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Anton

I would rather that unhealthy people feel bad about their condition so that they might improve that condition.

January 8, 2014 at 6:01 am | Report abuse |
  7. Frank

Really? Come on – are we "sensitive" about everything? Only – and I mean ONLY caring what other people think about us, so we stay politically, socially and whatever more correct? Who stes the standards for "correctness" then? I have my own opinion about things. I don't need everybody to agree with me. It's nice to see people have the same opinion. but I would never put pressure on someone to think the same way as me. Different peolpe means different characters. That's what makes life interesting. All going the same way? You catch my drift...

December 26, 2013 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  8. JPboi

I really admire her for her acting. She's really good at the roles she plays. And it it would be nice if shows like the Fashion Police were so unpopular they would just get canceled. But unfortunately too many people like that sort of trash talk.

December 24, 2013 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  9. peanutbutterbopper

She comes off as a snooty cow, a rather ignorant one at that.

December 20, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jason prather

It should be ILLEGAL to call this INTELLIGENCE!

December 20, 2013 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  11. sartorioaaron

This is a very touchy subject. Yes calling someone “fat” is a very negative term that does affect a young person mentally. Words such as those can get under a person’s skin and really hurt them no matter what context they are in. However yes if we ban that word then we are also restricting freedom of speech.

December 20, 2013 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  12. Awesome Claus

Here's a good idea: censor nothing on television and actually use freedom of speech!

December 20, 2013 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Egon

Yeah, but then the churchies and social conservatives would be up in arms about people saying things that offend them.

December 20, 2013 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  13. SKY

FACT: NO PERSON WANTS A BONE BUT A DOG, AND HE BURY IT AND DIG IT UP WHEN TIMES ARE HARD!

December 20, 2013 at 4:46 am | Report abuse |
  14. justin sloan

shes just saying that because she thinks it will cause people to want her to have more money, more roles, get doctors and other to endorse her so she doesn't look like such a cow on screen. Calling people fat should not be illegal especially after everything it takes to get that perfect 8 pack at the gym and get that mile down to a good time again in relation to the obnoxious repulsive behavior obesity induces amongst its victmims, the idea of making such a law is absurd.**

December 20, 2013 at 4:25 am | Report abuse |
  15. justin sloan

shes just saying that because she thinks people will want her to have more money more roles, get doctors and other to endorse her so she doesn't look like such a cow on screen. Calling people fat should not be illegal especially after everything it takes to get that perfect 8 pack at the gym and get that mile down to a good time again in relation to the obnoxious repulsive behavior obesity induces amongst its victmins, the idea of making such a law is absurd.

December 20, 2013 at 4:23 am | Report abuse |
  16. Corinne

If you're going to make the word 'fat' ILLEGAL, you have to do the same with calling people skinny or anorexic looking etc

December 20, 2013 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |
  17. Courtney

Wow nice! Feminism isn't dead, y'all.

December 20, 2013 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
  18. Manda

What a smart young woman, standing up to young girls!
    She should be an ambassador at beautyredefined.net

December 20, 2013 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  19. John

I would think after making a few very successful movies about a totalitarian government she wouldn't be speaking out in favor of one.

December 20, 2013 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
  20. rTravis

She got the cooties.

December 20, 2013 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  21. C average at overpriced New England college

Fat is the new gay. Demonize all who depart from the official talking points / party line. Call them names to intimidate others from honest expression of opinion and observation of reality. We are the Army of the Left!

December 19, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  22. KEN

Why not just make it illegal TO BE FAT?

December 19, 2013 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barbie

not everyone can control their weight. yes, some may not eat right or exercise, but some people are curvy because of heredity. like we say in barbie world, u can be anything u wanna be as long as u set your mind to it! <3 Barbie

December 19, 2013 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Heavy 6

Shouldn't call them fat, call them gravitationally challenged. Or Spherical people.

December 19, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Brown

Fine, I will start calling them what they really are then. "Overweight tax burdens that are slaves to medication"

December 19, 2013 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Fat Mcfatty

J. Law- just lost total respect for her...she's so wrong about this. It's called freaking PHYSICAL ACTIVITY & EXERCISE maybe you should relay the message to the fatties of the world

December 19, 2013 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  26. columbus

Why not treat this the same as the Duck Dynasty dude, if a TV talking head says something that offends a group of people, the station has the option to get rid of them. Funny that if I say something derogatory about gays, it's offensive, but if I insult someone overweight then that's OK.

December 19, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Creep Doggie Log

I'M NOT FAT, I'M BIG BONED!

December 19, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Andre

I disagree that it should be illegal to call someone fat. As for the ms. lawrence, I think the whole "good girl" persona is fake and I can very much tell a fake from the real deal.

December 19, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Stan

That Barbra Walters sure looks pretty.

December 19, 2013 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Rachel, Deb, Cindy, Kimberly, Chris, Jess1998

All the same troll commenter. You ain't foolin' anybody, pal.

December 19, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Stan

If she is so sensitive about her weight then maybe she should try going on a diet.

December 19, 2013 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  32. LOL

LOL I AGREE. SHE LOOKS LIKE AN INSECT OR AN ALIEN. WAAAAAAY CREEPY.

December 19, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Jess1998

Why does she look so odd? There is just something about her that doesn't look right. I think her funny looking neck and odd shaped head make her look like a praying mantis or some sort of insect.

December 19, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Kimberly

That fat cow J-Law looks like an amazon woman. Just a blond version of Khloe Kardashian. I bet the ground shakes when she walks with those huge fat legs.

December 19, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • NiceGrl

that is really mean what all of u are saying about her. she is confident in her body and i agree that u shouldnt be able to call somebody fat on tv. all of u judge celebrities by their looks and not their personalities. think about what people would say about u if u were followed around by cameras 24/7? think about ur words.. they can hurt lots of peoples feelings..

December 19, 2013 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Chris

She seems so old and haggard looking for just 23 years old. I bet as she ages she turns into a Sasquatch.

December 19, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  36. eurekadog

I'm offended by the people who think I should be offended by the things they find offensive.

I guess we can't say "the f-word" anymore.

So what's the PC word we should use? Overweight, large, plus-size, big-boned, healthy, hefty, husky, "Hut-ish", bloated?

Sheesh! Someone needs to publish( annually) which words are "approved to be used this year". (Can't wait to find out what "z-word" we can't speak.)

December 19, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cindy

I'd call her rhinoceros-like. Everone loves animals. Even huge fat elephant ones. Surely that's PC.

December 19, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Deb

I think someone should tell J Law it should be against the law to be as fat and ugly as she is.

December 19, 2013 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Rachel

I've heard some people consider Jennifer to be a big tree trunk legged she ape. Could she possible be a cross between a rhinoceros and giant hippopotamus?

December 19, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Hannover

Yeah or she could just be pandering to the public morality to make herself look good, which is what I think is the case. And actor on the screen is just as much of one in real life.

December 19, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  40. anonymous

Ms. Lawrence is cool. She is a refreshing change to the type of personalities that have come out of Hollywood recently. She's honest and unafraid to speak her mind, and according to her statement, she's empathetic to others. I just hope fame does not changer her.

December 19, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jess1998

She is just a dumb cow. And is fat. A lard butt.

December 19, 2013 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • VladT

Encouraging a form of censorship because she finds a word offensive is something to be commended?

Sometimes I really worry what our country will be like in 20 years....

December 20, 2013 at 3:33 am | Report abuse |
  41. A Man

America is truly a psychotic society. Everyday I observe more evidence that the American mainstream/pop culture is truly like a cancer of the mind. How can a woman, who makes her living on her appearance, try to tell people that appearance SHOULDN'T matter. What kind of non-sense is this?
    I'll say again. This woman makes a living by her looks, and tries to tell people not to judge on appearance?

December 19, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Margo

Typical – A Man who just doesn't get it. Further evidence that stupid people are like a cancer to society as a whole.

December 19, 2013 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Republicrat

She makes her living on her talent, not her looks. Sure she is nice to look at, but saying she makes her living on her looks says more about you than it does about her.

December 19, 2013 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  42. stagger

Don't let your kids watch garbage like E! network. Problem solved...

December 19, 2013 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  43. Lee

It wouldn't hurt to treat people kindly...

December 19, 2013 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  44. Phat Albert

Did she mean "fat" or "PHAT"?

December 19, 2013 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  45. smcneil

pretty soon everyone will have a word or words they want to make illegal, ugly hair, yuk, you smell, etc. ooooh you heart my feelings, I'm telling.... Grow up Jennifer you're ONLY an actor and in a real world your opinion would be taken for what its worth, nothing, nada. Actors really think the real world cares what they think? Not!

December 19, 2013 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank Fielder

I couldn't agree with you more. This whole politically correct thing is getting way out of hand. What ever happened to "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me"? Just so you know, I'm a little guy, grew up in the 60's, got teased, bullied, etc. If the person teasing you was close to your size, you fought. Otherwise you just let it roll of your back. Perhaps if someone calls you fat and you don't like it, you should LOSE WEIGHT and not try to make it illegal for someone to tell you so.

December 19, 2013 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Pipe down there, shorty

and go help Santa load his sleigh.

December 19, 2013 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
    • @ Frank

Of course you shouldn't "lose weight". People are beautiful the way they are, it's just insecure people who tell them they are "fat". Terrible.

December 20, 2013 at 3:07 am | Report abuse |
  46. Messiah

Yay! My birthday is in one week! I hope I get good presents this year.

December 18, 2013 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Timmy

I got a gerbil for my birthday from my uncle and his special friend, Ted. It smelled kind of funny. Almost like poop.

December 19, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  47. V¡xen

Lol..reading through these blogs, I can only wonder what you people really are like in person.

December 18, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda Lou

I'm picturing a lot of pudgy, balding middle aged men..former class clowns...divorced or never married...

December 18, 2013 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  48. ^ obvious troll ^

is obvious

December 18, 2013 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  49. u ain't fooling nobody

palintwit, we all know it's you, and we all know you pay good money to get Bristol's worn, fragrant panties. You are a one-trick pony & your act has grown stale. You need a new gimmick, man.

December 18, 2013 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  50. jujubeans

J. Law? Gimme a break! From now on call me J. Beans.

December 18, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Margo

I'd do her, fat or otherwise. She's not fat, BTW.

December 18, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  52. No, F Foo

It used to be, years ago. You should build a time machine and go back t

December 19, 2013 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Dudette21

im sure u have no room to talk. jennifer lawrence is beautiful in her own unique way. why does everybody have to be so judgemental?

December 19, 2013 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Cami

Look, every girl is beautiful in her own way. There's no need for you to make fun of them, and you just might be jealous yourself of J-Law's confidence. You don't have to be so rude.

December 19, 2013 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |