Jay Z celebrates 44 by going vegan
December 4th, 2013

Jay Z celebrates 44 by going vegan

If you want to help Jay Z celebrate his 44th birthday, send him a link to a vegan recipe.

Over on his website, the entrepreneurial rapper and mogul has announced that he's going vegan as he turns 44 on December 4.

"Psychologists have said it takes 21 days to make or break a habit. On the 22nd day, you’ve found the way," Jay "no hypen" Z writes on Life + Times. "On December 3rd, one day before my 44th birthday I will embark on a 22 Days challenge to go completely vegan, or as I prefer to call it, plant-based!! This all began a few months back when a good friend and vegan challenged me to embrace a 'plant-based breakfast' every day. It was surprisingly easier on me than I thought."

While Jay tells his fans to follow the advice of his "friend Marco" - a.k.a., Marco Borges of 22 Days Nutrition - when it comes to adopting a plant-based diet, we can't help but wonder if Carter family friend Gwyneth Paltrow helped influence this decision. After all, the GOOP founder and BFF of Jay's wife Beyoncé recently wrote a cookbook about how to eat well while eliminating certain foods. (As it turns out, Mrs. Carter will also embrace veganism for the next 22 days along with her husband.)

"There’s something spiritual to me about it being my 44th birthday and the serendipity behind the number of days in this challenge; 22 (2+2=4) coupled with the fact that the challenge ends on Christmas day," Jay says of the challenge's timing. "It just feels right! So you can call it a spiritual and physical cleanse. I will post my progress ... Any professional vegans out there that have any great food spots please help out!"

Have some vegan-friendly suggestions? Jay's Twitter account is @S_C_.

Filed under: Celebrities

« Previous entry
  1. tnoor

Beyonce didn't write that cookbook... Gwen Paltrow did.

December 18, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. SKY

FACT: THERE HAS TO BE A BALANCE....EVERYONE HAS THE RIGHT TO WEAR WHATEVER THEY WANT TO WEAR.
    AND IT NEEDS TO BE RESPECTED...

December 10, 2013 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. Meh

Serious Christy Brinkley/Billy Joel anomoly there...hot vs not

December 9, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Pat Jones

Someone reported that Beyonce wore fur to her vegan lunch. What a moron!

Sir Paul McCartney says:

“Fashion is an important industry. It can be creative and beautiful but it also has an ugly side. Those designers and retailers that use and sell real fur have the blood of the animals killed for that fur on their hands. It is the demand for fur, created by the fur industry, that causes so much animal cruelty and it’s all so unnecessary. No one needs to wear fur and no one would suffer or die if the commercial fur trade was to disappear. There are alternatives to fur and fashion designers can and should use their artistry to come up with designs that do not use this cruel product. I am so proud that my daughter Stella – who is a great designer – has shown the way and uses no fur in her collections. Remember, as Respect for Animals says: ‘fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people’!”

December 8, 2013 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. SKY

FACT: EATING HEALTHY WILL IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH...WHEN YOU ARE YOUNG YOU NEVER THINK
    ABOUT DYING...YOU LIVE RECKLESSLY ...BUT AS YOU GET OLDER AND RICHER YOU WANT TO
    LIVE LONGER AND ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE....I GET THIS....

GOING VEGAN BENIFITS THE BODY, BUT NOT THE MIND AND HEART NOT THE INTER-PERSON...
    LEAVING GOD OUT. SO YOU WILL BE 44 SOON...JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE...
    THERE IS NOTHING SPIRTUAL ABOUT THAT ....AND THERE IS NO CONNECTION WITH
    CHRISTMAS WHAT SO EVER. BUT IF THIS DIET WORKS FOR YOU, THEN GO FOR IT
    JUST DON'T SAY, SOMEHOW IT WILL MAKE YOU A SPECIAL PERSON. OR SPIRTUAL..
    REMEMBER YOU ARE A SPECIAL PERSON TO YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS.

December 8, 2013 at 6:09 am | Report abuse |

you continue to help me in the fight of losing weight because of you I lost 6 pounds.

December 8, 2013 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  6. MoMO

RICH AND SUCCESSFUL BLACK PEOPLE, BRING OUT THE RACISTS

December 7, 2013 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dominicano

Fav Rapper!

December 7, 2013 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Real1only

It kills me to hear Morons say J is ugly. Post your picture because it really does not matter. The man figured out a legal way to make millions and grab the hottest babe in the Music game. Isn’t that what the rest of us ugly or not so good looking guys want? Applaud the man because he stands for every average looking dude out here that we all can be a major success and have the honey of our dreams if we do it like we got do it. Trust me all of us can do what he did. Beautiful women like successful men. They are not pigs like us. Thank god for women on this planet. It is not how you looking but how you are cooking when that body is in your hands! Go 4 it JayZ. You’re a Hero!!

December 7, 2013 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike Derrukie

Seriously! I can sell crack in my community and become one of the most successful people in the hip-hop industry. I can insult some of the worlds most famous civil rights activists and marry a really pretty woman? It's the money you love – not the person. The dude is ugly that's what he looks like and what he acts like. He never gave you anything and never will, but you act like he is your big brother or something. This is demonstrative of your lack of education and your lack of knowledge of hip-hop.

December 9, 2013 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. TakeABow

The comment section here is the best part of CNN..The rest of the site blows big time.

December 7, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. james

well ........i guess that means more meat for us!!

December 6, 2013 at 5:33 am | Report abuse |
  11. Marcus Jones

I shudda to think of the damage he has done to her tender yoni with those lips!!! And she says he is the only man she has ever been with!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 6, 2013 at 4:57 am | Report abuse |
  12. Monty H

He is so ugly.

December 6, 2013 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |
  13. Alvarez

They can eat my poops as they're considered vegan, and fabulously tasty.

December 6, 2013 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  14. Justy yay z

Cool ay jay ay wish ay mo ay ho-ho-ho itzay ah [HARDNOCKS LIFE FOR US]...hold it down

December 5, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Justy yay z

Hovaa lovaa bloggaa Jeegaa vay gaa veegee yoncèy i-vay run eee north eee west eee Kan-yay Kimyay gotta 99prbmwzay 1ay downayz.D.O.A.T!

December 5, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  16. uneek braddy

That's wassup Jay some changes make you a better man. Keep shinning stay bright HOVAA

December 5, 2013 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  17. Jessica

It’s a cleanse!!! That’s great!! I had read on another blog that Jay was doing the “King’s Cleanse" & Beyonce was doing its counterpart the “Goddess Body Cleanse” . They are herbal based and instruct to consume a plant based diet for the duration.. I found the website where they’re available!!! http://www.GoddessBody.org

December 5, 2013 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  18. Gigiann

Being "Vegan" doesn't just mean NOT eating meat (that's vegetarian), it means not using any products that comes from animals., i.e. leather, wool, fur, etc., because vegans are against cruelty to animals. It seems his experiment with going vegan has nothing to do with believing that animals shouldn't be slaughtered for human consumption. Doesn't he have a clothing line? Do they use leather? Curious to know if that will change.

December 5, 2013 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  19. will

my god how did he get Beyonce. I still cant get over it. Money surely is an amazing thing!

December 4, 2013 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  20. I love this couple...

they have one of the most wonderful relationships in Hollywood...beyonce actually does not lie too him and pretend she is something is not. she's beautiful and this is a marriage of perfection, unlike josh brolin who had too run the heck
    away from that suffocating witch he married

December 4, 2013 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  21. going vegan means...

No tuna tacos for him, no big brown sausage for her. Where's the fun in that?

December 4, 2013 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Bets

Habit being booze and cigars. Appears to be a condition for Beyonce staying in this marriage, after he embarrassed the hell out of her. Hope it works for them, as they compliment each other as a couple.

December 4, 2013 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Foodies are talking

∞ Weeds ∞ says:
    December 4, 2013 at 3:04 pm
    where the heck is this blog you speak of bro? I’d troll that place like my favorite fishing hole if I knew where it was.

December 4, 2013 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |