December 2nd, 2013
06:17 PM ET
Now that the Jonas Brothers have broken up, Joe Jonas is airing his dirty laundry.
Speaking to New York magazine, the 24-year-old singer reflects on the intense pressure that came with being a star in the Disney machine, plus the coming-of-age markers that arrived along the way.
If you're a JoBro fan - or even just mildly curious - it's worth a full read. But below, we're parsing out the seven things we were intrigued to learn about the middle Jonas brother:
1. Joe says it was Miley Cyrus and Demi Lovato who introduced him to weed: According to the singer, back when Joe, Miley Cyrus and Demi Lovato were still part of the squeaky clean Disney team, the two pop princesses in the making got Joe to try pot. "The first time I smoked weed was with Demi and Miley. I must have been 17 or 18. They kept saying, 'Try it! Try it!' so I gave it a shot, and it was all right. I don’t even smoke weed that often anymore." Lovato's rep offered a "no comment at this time" to CNN about the story and there has been no response yet from Cyrus' camp.
2. Joe sucks at math: It seems when his parents opted to home-school Joe and his brothers, Kevin and Nick, after Joe hit seventh grade, it became really clear what Joe's strengths and weaknesses were academically. "I sucked at math. Was pretty good with science, and I was great at music class. Big surprise. Music was always in the house. Our dad could play just about anything, and we started picking up instruments ourselves."
3. He felt like he was "living a lie" while dating Demi: Even casual pop culture observers can remember the 2010 altercation that caused Demi Lovato to exit the Jonas Brothers' tour and seek treatment. She had been involved with Joe, and to hear him tell it, their romance was short-lived. "We had been friends forever, we were both Disney kids, and because we played a couple in the 'Camp Rock' Disney Channel specials - and fans liked seeing us together. We eventually dated for a month. I really got to know her and got to see the ins and outs of what she was struggling with, like drug abuse. I felt like I needed to take care of her, but at the same time I was living a lie, because I wasn’t happy but felt like I had to stay in it for her, because she needed help. I couldn’t express any of that, of course, because I had a brand to protect."
4. There is such a thing as Disney groupies: Joe can recall "moments when I'd walk into my hotel room only to find a girl I didn’t know standing there."
5. Joe has dated fans: "I can’t say that I’ve never put a foot in that world; there were times when I definitely took advantage of the opportunities I had," he admits. "I remember I invited a fan to a movie, and we just made out the entire time. I don’t even remember what the movie was about. I must have been 16 or so. Afterward, I was kind of freaking out, because I thought she’d go public and the whole world would find out. Luckily, she never did, I think because she assumed there’d be another meet-up down the road."
6. Joe was a virgin until 20: "Because of our age, because of Disney, because of those rings, there were so many things throughout our career that we had to sugarcoat. If a lyric was slightly sexual, someone at the record company would tell us we had to change it. It could be the most innocent reference, like 'I’m alone in a room with you,' and it would have to go." The rings came off a few years ago; Joe lost his virginity at 20.
About this blog
Our daily cheat-sheet for breaking celebrity news, Hollywood buzz and your pop-culture obsessions.