6 things we learned from Joe Jonas' tell-all
December 2nd, 2013

6 things we learned from Joe Jonas' tell-all

Now that the Jonas Brothers have broken up, Joe Jonas is airing his dirty laundry.

Speaking to New York magazine, the 24-year-old singer reflects on the intense pressure that came with being a star in the Disney machine, plus the coming-of-age markers that arrived along the way.

If you're a JoBro fan - or even just mildly curious - it's worth a full read. But below, we're parsing out the seven things we were intrigued to learn about the middle Jonas brother:

1. Joe says it was Miley Cyrus and Demi Lovato who introduced him to weed: According to the singer, back when Joe, Miley Cyrus and Demi Lovato were still part of the squeaky clean Disney team, the two pop princesses in the making got Joe to try pot. "The first time I smoked weed was with Demi and Miley. I must have been 17 or 18. They kept saying, 'Try it! Try it!' so I gave it a shot, and it was all right. I don’t even smoke weed that often anymore." Lovato's rep offered a "no comment at this time" to CNN about the story and there has been no response yet from Cyrus' camp.

2. Joe sucks at math: It seems when his parents opted to home-school Joe and his brothers, Kevin and Nick, after Joe hit seventh grade, it became really clear what Joe's strengths and weaknesses were academically. "I sucked at math. Was pretty good with science, and I was great at music class. Big surprise. Music was always in the house. Our dad could play just about anything, and we started picking up instruments ourselves."

3. He felt like he was "living a lie" while dating Demi: Even casual pop culture observers can remember the 2010 altercation that caused Demi Lovato to exit the Jonas Brothers' tour and seek treatment. She had been involved with Joe, and to hear him tell it, their romance was short-lived. "We had been friends forever, we were both Disney kids, and because we played a couple in the 'Camp Rock' Disney Channel specials - and fans liked seeing us together. We eventually dated for a month. I really got to know her and got to see the ins and outs of what she was struggling with, like drug abuse. I felt like I needed to take care of her, but at the same time I was living a lie, because I wasn’t happy but felt like I had to stay in it for her, because she needed help. I couldn’t express any of that, of course, because I had a brand to protect."

4. There is such a thing as Disney groupies: Joe can recall "moments when I'd walk into my hotel room only to find a girl I didn’t know standing there."

5. Joe has dated fans: "I can’t say that I’ve never put a foot in that world; there were times when I definitely took advantage of the opportunities I had," he admits. "I remember I invited a fan to a movie, and we just made out the entire time. I don’t even remember what the movie was about. I must have been 16 or so. Afterward, I was kind of freaking out, because I thought she’d go public and the whole world would find out. Luckily, she never did, I think because she assumed there’d be another meet-up down the road."

6. Joe was a virgin until 20: "Because of our age, because of Disney, because of those rings, there were so many things throughout our career that we had to sugarcoat. If a lyric was slightly sexual, someone at the record company would tell us we had to change it. It could be the most innocent reference, like 'I’m alone in a room with you,' and it would have to go." The rings came off a few years ago; Joe lost his virginity at 20.

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. ll

And still...no one cares ;)

December 9, 2013 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. T.rex

Wow... he kissed a girl in a movie theater??! The perks to being a millionaire celebrity sound so extraordinary.

December 9, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. FAT HIPS HACKER TALKING TOUGH

PEACE AND WIN 50

December 6, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. MOUTH IS IN DENIAL OF WHAT SHE DOES...

YOU NOT RELEVANT...WE ARE....BROKEN MACHINES WANT THE TRUTH WHERE IT CAME FROM

FAT HIPS....NO? LIFE GOES ON ...

December 6, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. 9 GRAND FOR BROKEN MACHINES

I'M STILL NICER THEN YOU ARE....YOUR A FAT HIPPED HACKER...BUT WE'LL LET THAT ONE GO ALSO..

BECAUSE I CARE ABOUT...YOU? YOU SHOULD HAVE KEPT YOUR MOJTH SHUT

December 6, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. BROKEN COMPUTERS

YOU OWE ME 9 GRAND FOR COMPUTERS FAT HIPS...THE ONLY THING YOU BETTER IS

STFU

December 6, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. PEACE 50...

WITH ALL HER FKING BILLS...SHE'S WORRIED ABOUT ALL THE TRAPS WE SET....

December 6, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. HEARD ME SAYING PAYING FORD IN FULL

REPORT FAT HIPS-SHE STILL CONTINUES TOO EMBARASS HERSELF...

December 6, 2013 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. YoureCrazy

Dylan Sprouse was right, this is BS. Not to mention thefact that he lied to his fans for years about who he was. Jerk.

December 6, 2013 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Monty H

If he ain't GAY, I'm a monkey's uncle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 6, 2013 at 4:43 am | Report abuse |
  11. Dashawn

Wait, what am I missing? First, there are Disney groupies and when you walk in a room there's a girl you don't know, and second you're a virgin until age twenty? Bro, you missed the train. The whole point of celebrity is narcissistic self-indulgence. Was she ugly? Fat? Are you unAmerican? Then why didn't you consume and discard her, as celebrities do? Obamacare covers venereal disease.

December 3, 2013 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  12. chelsea

7th thing we learned about Joe J: He's the most boring person in the world! I feel asleep just reading this article, I couldn't imagine tring to get through a whole magazine interview about his sea slug

December 3, 2013 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  13. Lala

This is so obnoxious. He's just going off and blaming everyone responsible for his fame for his problems... And dropping Miley and Demi's names was completely unnecessary

December 3, 2013 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Oompa

He just stated that he occasionally smokes weed and that he thinks it's alright. Miley is an admitted pothead, and Demi has never denied her drug past, so why do you take issue with this? It's only natural for him to say when he started, and the fact the instigators were two Disney teeny-bopper starlets makes it more interesting.

December 3, 2013 at 6:14 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jack Schmitt

Demi's rep had no comment. Miley's is probably lighting up with her now.

December 2, 2013 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Scott S

Smart move by you guys – get out while the gettin's good – brilliant!

December 2, 2013 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |