Amy Robach on cancer diagnosis: Prognosis is good
November 25th, 2013

Amy Robach on cancer diagnosis: Prognosis is good

In the midst of receiving disheartening news about her cancer diagnosis, Amy Robach's spirits are still high.

The ABC News talent revealed in an open letter over the weekend that her cancer has spread, but thankfully the doctors tell her that her prognosis is good.

It was while undergoing a bilateral mastectomy on November 14 that Robach's surgeon found a second malignant tumor.

"No MRI, no mammogram, no sonogram had found it…it was only through the mastectomy that she discovered it," Robach wrote in the November 22 letter, thanking everyone for their overwhelming support. "My cancer had spread to my sentinel lymph node, but not beyond, so I will have more treatments ahead of me, but none that will take me out of work. As of right now, I plan to head back into the building Monday, December 2, and I couldn’t be more excited to get back to work."

It was actually a work assignment that led to Robach's initial diagnosis, as the 40-year-old journalist underwent an on-air mammogram at the request of her producer for a segment on "Good Morning America."

Afterward, the doctors told her, "that mammogram just saved your life," Robach recalled in a November 11 essay.

Following her mastectomy, Robach admits that she's "been through the ringer," but she's also "emerging on the other side so much stronger."

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. Celeste

Dear Amy, I was crushed when I heard your news. I too received that news 13 yrs ago...but I can tell you that before you know it you will be done with treatment and having a blast again for a very long time! I wish you a lifetime of happiness!

December 1, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Name*lisa

I don't know you. Probably never will but I think about you and pray for you everyday. I am thankful for you today. God bless you.

November 28, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Nancy Transue

I just want to say I am keeping you in my prayers. The more prayers you have the better you are, good for you. I go for my mammogram in Jan. 2014. Happy Thanksgiving and GOD Bless you and you family.

November 27, 2013 at 3:38 am | Report abuse |
  4. Is it

just me, or is Sokman all over this thread?

November 26, 2013 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rebecca

What is with all of the political comments. This is not a political venting comment section. This is an update on a familiar face, at least to some of us, not a place sound off about health care. Take your comments somewhere else.

November 26, 2013 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hank

Thanks for your petty attempts at controlling others. Say what you want to say, but don't venture into telling me what to do.

November 27, 2013 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  6. Helen

Anchor or correspondent at all the big leftie mainstream news outlets – yeah, she's an obama voter. Either she has insurance through her employer until she's thrown off that by next year, or else she realizes the error of supporting government controlled socialized medicine. How you like being on the waiting list with death's cold hand gripping your shoulder, sweetheart?

November 26, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • My God...

you're a bitter, mean-spirited, evil little b!tch there, Helen. I hope you get a nice, quick look at your Maker after your number is up, right before he casts you into the fiery pits of Hell.

November 26, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • V¡xen

Wow, that's a very cold hearted thing to say. I knew a few people that died of cancer and it's something I won't wish on for anyone.

November 26, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aequitas Equitas

I agree with Helen. Here is poetic justice. Amy Robach doesn't have a journalist bone in her body. She could care less about facts and informing. She was a brazen pr opagandist that failed to vet candidate obama, failed to cover his shortcomings, advanced his leftist agenda, and now has a grave condition as he destroys American healthcare. And vice is punished.

November 26, 2013 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dwayne

schadenfreude is an evil sentiment, helen/latin equity person. I hope you like extremely warm climates, as it's excessively hot where you're spending eternity.

November 26, 2013 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. palintwit

Amy Robach has cancer and Sarah Palin flits around the country wasting oxygen. Life is just not fair sometimes, is it.

November 26, 2013 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • enuff already

Definitely not fair, because you keep spewing your political Crapola here, instead of the POLITICS BLOG.

November 26, 2013 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  8. Green Bay

@not a real doctor 1) Sign up for government healthcare and pay your premiums you hypocrite, and 2) spellcheck before posting. You're embarrassing yourself.

November 26, 2013 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • wait a minute...

what if @not a phd has company sponsored healthcare? He/she wouldn't have to sign up for Obamacare, right?

November 26, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. PhD, retired

Correction, the prognosis you had when you were insured with a particular doctor was good. That will all change soon. Welcome to 0bamacare. If you voted for him, you deserve the consequences. If you did not, sorry... Calling all college-educated millenials with jobs: Sign up for 0bamacare and pay your premiums TODAY! This is your chance to fund the change you voted for!

November 26, 2013 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Not a real doctor, but he trolls as one on-line ^

Partisan Stooge would have been a more fitting moniker. Way to bring you political slant, ad usual, into a place where it didn't belong.

November 26, 2013 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
    • could it be...

You're jealous because all your friends know you voted for this mess and now you can't deny it?

November 26, 2013 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Ha!

I voted for Obama, and I'm going to save $600 a month on my wife's and my policy. Thank you, obamacare.

November 26, 2013 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • oh baby baby

Good luck getting signed up. Good luck having your private information protected. Thanks Obama for a bill no one read before ramming it through, thanks for hiring a mediocre company to design the website ( who happen to also be HGUE campaign donors) who already have a track record of broken promises and malfunctioning websites they still got paid for. Thanks a lot

November 26, 2013 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Ha!

All ready signed up, and had no problem signing up, either. FYI, I had a policy that I was paying $700 for myself per month. Got cancelled , because it was a junk policy, come to find out. Now, I have better insurance, and saving $600 per month. Maybe you ppl who complain about it (republicans), ought to get the facts before you bad mouth it. Btw, your hero John Boehner signed up for it. Better dam him to heII, too.

November 26, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |