NeNe Leakes 'thankful to be alive'
November 19th, 2013

NeNe Leakes 'thankful to be alive'

NeNe Leakes says traveling almost cost her her life.

The "Real Housewives of Atlanta" and "Glee" star announced on Tuesday via her website that she was recently hospitalized after blood clots were discovered in her lungs. She said she sought medical treatment after experiencing shortness of breath.

"After some routine tests I was diagnosed with blood clots in my lung," she wrote. "I’m told this happened to me because of the constant traveling around the country that I do for my job."

In addition to her reality show duties, Leakes has been pursuing a career in acting and was formerly a part of the cast of the now canceled NBC sitcom "The New Normal." She posted a picture of herself in a hospital bed with her infant granddaughter and assured fans that – contrary to some reports – she did not have a heart attack.

"I’m thankful to be alive as the doctor advised me that most people don’t recognize the symptoms of blood clots and don’t go to the doctor and that’s when the big problems start happening," Leakes wrote.

1. Meh

I've been there. Glad you came thru ok.

November 22, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. homey on de corner

Come On sistagurl, what up wit de blonde hair? Makes you look like a streetwalker.

November 21, 2013 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kanye east

Sorry youre still here.

November 20, 2013 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Peace ☮

I wonder how traveling caused the blood clots...? I would understand the legs, but, the lungs?

November 19, 2013 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elizabeth Lynch-Woodson

Hi, Peace. Blood clots in the legs are deep vein thrombosis (DVT). This is why they tell air travelers to make sure they move often if they travel for long periods of time. The problem with DVT is these blood clots have a tendency in some cases to travel the bloodstream and enter the lungs becoming pulmonary embolisms. Very deadly.

November 20, 2013 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Peace ☮

I thought about that after I made my comment. Thanks for the info, Elizabeth. :)

November 20, 2013 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  5. @not done yet

Prepare for the ending. It will come sooner than you think.

November 20, 2013 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |