Mark Wahlberg blasts Hollywood - but not Tom Cruise, specifically
November 14th, 2013

Mark Wahlberg blasts Hollywood - but not Tom Cruise, specifically

Mark Wahlberg has a bone to pick with Hollywood.

At a premiere Q&A for his upcoming movie, "Lone Survivor," the 42-year-old actor set the record straight for those who might be confused: training to play a Navy SEAL in a movie, as he did for his upcoming film, is nothing like becoming the real thing.

You see, Wahlberg's January release is based on a dangerous military mission that occurred in 2005, involving a team of four Navy SEALs. Wahlberg portrays Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell, the only survivor to make it out of the deadly operation.

While Hollywood these days strives for authenticity when re-creating actual events - Luttrell wrote about his experience in the book, "Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10" - Wahlberg said it would be disrespectful (not to mention wrong) to suggest that movie magic can re-create the horrors of war.

"For actors to sit there and talk about, 'oh I went to SEAL training' ... I don't give a f*** what you did. You don't do what these guys do. You just don't," he calmly but firmly told the audience. "For somebody to sit there and say, 'well, my job is as difficult as somebody in the military,' how f*****g dare you. While you sit in a makeup chair for two hours. I don't give a s*** if you're getting your a** busted - you get to go home at the end of the day. You get to go to your hotel room. You get to order f*****g chicken or steak, or whatever the f*** it is."

The timing of Wahlberg's comments made many assume that he was indirectly responding to Tom Cruise, who was recently misquoted as saying his work as an actor is comparable to being a soldier in Afghanistan.

But, Wahlberg later told TMZ, he wasn't directing his fire at Cruise specifically.

"I didn't know that it was Tom Cruise that said that, somebody just mentioned that people were comparing that," Wahlberg told a photographer. "I love Tom Cruise. I have the utmost respect for Tom Cruise. But I have the utmost respect for military guys, so."

Filed under: Celebrities

1. unknown

thank you, someone who finally understands what us service members feel about those actors and athletes who get paid millions to do nothing. hooyah navy, oorah marines

January 12, 2014 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. You do not exclude and hack...

see you at the party.

December 11, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. J man

LOUD NOISES !

December 9, 2013 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Hater

Marky Mark is garbage anyway. Nobody cares about his public kiss up to the military.

December 3, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Craig

December 6, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • SnafuBob

Love him, hate him; or anyone else for that matter, are you a famous millionaire? No, well let me suggest a nice cup of STFU, goes well with Cool"whip". If nothing else I've always seen him stand up for military service members; I'm one who cares; that is all that matters to me flip stick. Keep hating cupcake.

December 7, 2013 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Chaos

"You're nobody. A nothing. At least Wahlberg is famous. Let me reinstate: You're nothing."

And you are? Internet troll. Impressive.

December 11, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • I just got the dare of my life...

yawn

December 11, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. tim is gay

LOL LOOK WHAT I SAID ABOUT TIM

December 2, 2013 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Overrated

When you need security guards at a gas station, you know who to call.

November 30, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. gahh

Wahlberg made the statement that it was a good thing, he wasn't around when 9/11 happened. Pot calling the kettle black.

November 27, 2013 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Johnny Vintage

Hogan's Heroes was good but I think two others that were more realisitic would be F Troop and McHales Navy.

November 14, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Marky Hate Crime Mark

Marky also blasted a Vietnamese man with a stick blinding him in one eye while yelling racial slurs. The guy was riding his bike and holding a case of beer unable to defend himself at all.

November 14, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. FISH FRY

Also, just because you keep bringing up the fact that you had a criminal childhood doesn't give you the right to throw the f-bomb as much as you want, like that's gonna make us think you're tough. Save it for the script, Mark.

November 14, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Mama

Ever notice he always plays someone from Brooklyn, the Bronx, or Jersey? Put him in any setting, he's still just that yankee punk.

November 14, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • 7echnique

lmao what a punk marky mark

November 14, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. DF

Don't care for the expletives, but I like Mark Wahlberg as an actor and I think what he said was valid. Directors, actors and special FX crews can do their best, and they have in many instances--but, of course, it can't compare to the real thing-nor, can actors even dare to think that what they do can compare to what our military personnel has to experience during times of battle or evern during their average day in service.

November 14, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Peace ☮

Idk, Saving Private Ryan did a pretty good re-creation...not that I was ever in a war, but, I still think they did a good job.

November 14, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nope

Hogan's Heroes was the most realistic depiction of war ever made.

November 14, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peace ☮

Lol! I still watch Hogan's Heroes!

November 14, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • cnnlicksit

If you were never in a war, and specifically not at Omaha beach, how do you know it was a good re-creation. I actually read some articles that said that the mortar fire seen in the film was way overblown as compared to the actual day.

November 14, 2013 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hey!

@Peace I had heard that, too. Did some checking. This is what Wikipedia said. Saving Private RyanFrom Wikipedia:
      Saving Private Ryan is a 1998 American epic war film set during the invasion of Normandy in World War II. It was directed by Steven Spielberg and written by Robert Rodat. The film is notable for its graphic and realistic portrayal of war, and for the intensity of its opening 27 minutes, which depict the Omaha Beach assault of June 6, 1944.

I have never been to war, either. I guess we won't know unless somebody had actually been there at the time?

November 14, 2013 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ric H

The issue is not really whether the portrayal is good/believable and simulates the real thing. The issue is that even if they simulate being held in a hole in North Vietnam for 5 years and beaten/tortured every day, left vulnerable to the elements, starved and/or poisoned, and denied medical assistance... an actor who simulates this is confident during every moment that he will go home (or to a hotel) to a nice hot shower, a good meal, and a comfortable bed. Similarly, the tension of a dark night filled with as yet unseen enemy combatants whose sole mission in life is to find you and kill you, or the sheer hell/miracle of having to run headlong into enemy fire to reach the next objective or save a buddy, is something no one who hasn't actually done it can truly understand. That’s why we call them heroes, give them medals, because we can't imagine having to actually do such things, and should be thankful to the many that did. An actor should be praised for their portrayal, but should never think of themselves as equal to the real deal. It just ain't so!

December 5, 2013 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
  13. are you serious?

You are sick and disturbed.

November 15, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. M.A.P.

Do you think you could post dried ones, internationally? I have a huge market here for such delicacies.

November 16, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. M.A.P.

I love that you are still here SHOUTING THE SAME SH!T OVER AND OVER.

November 16, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |