The last Blockbuster rental was so appropriate
November 12th, 2013

The last Blockbuster rental was so appropriate

As Blockbuster says goodbye to an era of Blockbuster nights, it's going out with one last laugh.

The store chain shared its final movie rental on Twitter Monday, and the customer - who checked out the title from a Hawaii Blockbuster location on November 9 - picked the appropriately titled comedy, "This Is the End."

The well-reviewed summer flick starred a near comedy club of actors, including Seth Rogen and James Franco, as a group of friends who, during a rager at Franco's house, find that the world has descended into apocalyptic chaos.

Rogen, who also co-wrote and co-directed the comedy, got a little nostalgic after seeing his film being named the final Blockbuster rental.

"This is nuts and sad," the 31-year-old tweeted. "In high school I would go hang out at Blockbuster every day."

Yet come January, high school-aged kids will no longer be able to use their local Blockbuster as a meet-up spot. The remaining 300 stores in the U.S. are being shuttered by the DISH Network, which bought the company in 2011.

Filed under: movies

1. Gumby

... but I'll never be able to delete that useless awful Blockbuster app from my phone.

November 22, 2013 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jacob

can you believe that they just opened a video rental store near my house?

November 21, 2013 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  3. the_dude

Hahaha blockbuster I get the last laugh. I still have that copy of madden '99 that I never returned nor did I pay the extortion charges or anything. I kept it for free b!tches!!!! AHAHAHAHAHAH

November 15, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mr.SlantyEyes

Oh...herrrooooooo!

November 14, 2013 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
  5. JoJo

Remember that video store skit on the Amanda Bynes Show many years back? The staff always tried to sell homemade rip-offs claiming, "This one's better! MUCH better!"

November 13, 2013 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. JT

yeah... I "went to blockbuster" just about every day when I was in HS too. It was a great excuse to go on a burn run and not be back right away.

November 13, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Meh

Their late-return fees were outrageous anyway...good riddance

November 13, 2013 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  8. K10

We haven't had a blockbuster store in my area of Virginia for years! They all pretty much went away when redboxes started appearing.
    What are they going to do about the freestanding redbox-like things they have? Anybody read anything about those? There's still a couple of those around in my area.

Also, remember wasn't it all that that used to do a paraody called blockblister? :)
    Or was that actually the amanda show before she became insane?

November 13, 2013 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Carl

Wikipedia says,
      "Blockbuster Express is a movie-rental kiosk brand sublicensed for use by Redbox from licensee NCR Corporation. [....] Apart from the license to use the Blockbuster brand name, Blockbuster Express kiosks are unrelated to Blockbuster LLC"

November 13, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Gator

This is the End sucked so bad I want to sue someone for that period of my life I lost and will never get back.

November 13, 2013 at 5:26 am | Report abuse |
  10. Obbit

Pitch for a new movie:

Mel Gibson in, The Last Blockbuster!

November 13, 2013 at 4:26 am | Report abuse |
  11. Kealani Smith

WRONG, wrong, wrong. Blockbuster still has stores open in Alaska !

November 12, 2013 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robb

Kealani – the remaining 100 or so Blockbuster are franchise stores. Dish is closing all CORPORATE stores.

November 13, 2013 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  12. Mickey Dolenz/Davey Jones/Mike Nesmith/Peter Tork

Hey, hey were the Monkees
    And people say we monkey around...

November 12, 2013 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frodis

Take the last train to Clarksville,And I'll meet you at the station.
      You can be be there by four thirty,'Cause I made your reservation.
      Don't be slow, oh, no, no, no! Oh, no, no, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

November 15, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mark Madson

So if he checked it out, and they were closing the store...did he get to keep it? Or, just PR stunt.

November 12, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Pat

My last movie I returned on the 9th was 'Now you see me', also appropriate.

November 12, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  15. go for it....

Karen

Try Redbox.

November 12, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  16. MICHAEL WHITE

My question is where do I go to rent a movie now if I need to get it right then and there? Netflix and many of the other online movie sites many times don't have the selection of movies I want. Also, I prefer to play movies on my DVD not computer. So, it beggs the question, where do I go now?

November 12, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jenkins

I would recommend going to 2013. They have things to assist in these situations.

November 12, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

These days you don't need a Blockbuster. Netflix has its DVD service, but yes, you have to wait a day or two. If you absolutely need it tonight, go find a RedBox or the like.

November 12, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Karen

Try Redbox.

November 12, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • gigadee

smart tv

November 12, 2013 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robb

Redbox or just buy the movie. They're not that much more expensive.

November 13, 2013 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • King

honestly if you have cable or sattelite service their ppv is just as good as any store rental service. Also, Blockbuster is not the only video rental company around.

November 13, 2013 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Old Enough

If Netflix doesn't have it, you need to buy it.

November 13, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • GregOhio

Many Blu-ray players will play various video-on-demand services like Amazon, Netflix, and VUDU. That's where I get mine.

When buying one, be sure it offers the service(s) you want, and has built-in wifi if you can't run a network cable to it.

November 13, 2013 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

You can always rent movies from a pirate that lives in the bay like many other people do.

November 13, 2013 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • tim

Get a smart tv or a blue ray player with built in wireless. Many of these have Netflix as an app. The one I have has Netflix, Vudu (wallyworld's video service), Amazon prime, and Hulu.

November 29, 2013 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Dude, Jenkins, you realize it's still 2013 right? Lay off the smoke, mmkay.

December 11, 2013 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  17. George Lindsey

Be sure to tell 'em Goober says 'hey!'

November 12, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Someone needs to come in here and clear out all the troll trash

It's starting to build up, and frankly, it stinks.

November 12, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  19. webman6

No wonder they bit the dust. Dish Network bought them. Look for Dish Network to go away within two years.

November 12, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thatkindofperson

They have been dying on their own, with the high late fees and hefty prices; they dug their own grave. Dish tried to bring them back, or at least have a movie rental within their name. Blockbuster was cheap and had enough movies to be content with.

November 26, 2013 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  20. Johnny Triumph

Looks like NPR trumps CNN...from NPR on 11/8:

But don't be surprised if you stumble across an open Blockbuster in Alaska or Texas. In those states, 26 stores are owned by the Austin, Texas-based Border Entertainment. They're among roughly 50 franchises or licensees that will live on after the parent company shuts down

November 12, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan I

This has been mentioned in EVERY article about the closures (including those on CNN prior to this one). Franchise stores are NOT closing, but the vast majority of stores are. All "corporate stores" i.e. those owned by Blockbuster will close.

November 12, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thatkindofperson

It has been a sort of game to find one here in Texas with my family. So far only one has been found within our area, and even that one will close down.

November 26, 2013 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  21. Muerta

I wonder if he had to return that rental?

November 12, 2013 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  22. Sokman

Yes, my one big secret is that I'm not who you think I am. You are barking up the wrong tree, little doggie.

November 12, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  23. MC Tackhammer

I'm legit...in fact, I'm 2 legit 2 quit.

November 12, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  24. 'And always will lost'

Nice grammar. Let me guess. - pre-K drop out?

November 12, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  25. And yet, here YOU are...

Doin' nuttin' all day. That kind of makes you a hypocrite, saying others do nothing all day when you spend an entire day clogging the blog with your hacking victim BS. Maybe you should take a break, and STFU.

November 12, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Krandal

They have phones made of apples now? Why wasn't I notified?

November 12, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Matthew Harmon

Kirk Douglas was one of the strongest men (without steroids) in Hollywood.

Kirk Douglas is the actor's actor.

November 14, 2013 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  28. Harold Porter

Kirk Douglas is a great Philanthropist, Actor and American.

I Learned on OPINIONAMERICA.Net, that Kirk and John Wayne were fiends and major contributors to the retired
    actors home.

November 14, 2013 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  29. John

Hey, Harold, Douglas and Wayne were "fiends" were they? Bloodsucking fiends?

November 15, 2013 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |