Clooney calls out DiCaprio on bad basketball skills
November 11th, 2013

Clooney calls out DiCaprio on bad basketball skills

There are many things that Leonardo DiCaprio does well - star in movies directed by Martin Scorsese; wear a suit; protect endangered species; date models - but according to George Clooney, basketball is just not one of them.

Esquire: Photos of George Clooney from the shoot

It seems the 52-year-old star indulged the younger actor in a game of hoops not too long ago, and in the end, as he tells Esquire magazine in its December issue, he arrived at two conclusions: one, DiCaprio's team talks a lot of trash; and two, they can't back it up.

The story goes that the two A-listers are both basketball fans with homes down in Cabo - as one would have, naturally - and after running into each other there thought they should get around to hitting the court.

DiCaprio, Clooney says, agreed to a game, but assured him that his team is "pretty serious."

To which Clooney responded, "you know, I can play. I’m not great, by any means, but I played high school basketball, and I know I can play. I also know that you don’t talk s*** unless you can play. And the thing about playing Leo (DiCaprio) is you have all these guys talking s***."

Esquire: 10 reasons why Matthew McConaughey is at the top of his career

Clooney didn't specify how long ago this game occurred, but it couldn't have been too far in the past - he's now 52, and he tells the magazine that he and his teammates were around 50 at the time. Even with their advanced age - DiCaprio is 13 years Clooney's junior - Clooney claims his team still beat the pants off DiCaprio's boys.

"We get there, and there’s this guy, Danny A I think his name is. Danny A is this club kid from New York," Clooney recalls. "And he comes up to me and says, ‘We played once at Chelsea Piers. I kicked your a**.’ I said, ‘I’ve only played at Chelsea Piers once in my life and ran the table. So if we played, you didn’t kick anybody’s a**.’ And so then we’re watching them warm up, and they’re doing this weave around the court, and one of the guys I play with says, ‘You know we’re going to kill these guys, right?’ Because they can’t play at all. We’re all like fifty years old, and we beat them three straight: 11–0, 11–0, 11–0. And the discrepancy between their game and how they talked about their game made me think of how important it is to have someone in your life to tell you what’s what. I’m not sure if Leo has someone like that.”

With details like that, it's not really a surprise that Clooney hasn't taken to Twitter (can you imagine his subtweets?).

As the "Monuments Men" director and star explains, he just doesn't feel comfortable with the potential for 140 characters to completely undo his career.

“If you’re famous, I don’t—for the life of me—I don’t understand why any famous person would ever be on Twitter," Clooney says. "So one drunken night, you come home and you’ve had two too many drinks and you’re watching TV and somebody pisses you off, and you go ‘Ehhhhh’ and fight back. And you go to sleep, and you wake up in the morning and your career is over. Or you’re an a***ole. Or all the things you might think in the quiet of your drunken evening are suddenly blasted around the entire world before you wake up."

Like, for example, how much better he is at basketball than Leonardo DiCaprio.

Filed under: Celebrities

1. filmsharks

Just think... this rant started after Leonardo DiCaprio schooled him in basketball.

November 17, 2013 at 4:43 am | Report abuse |
  2. bea

Why doesn't he just talk about something else like his new move role. Wasn't not to long ago he made comments about his Russell Crowe spat, why does he need to talk about other Hollywood A listers. I really don't care who plays better basketball or what they do with their lives they live, eat, and s**t like everyone else. I appreciate the movies that they make though but that doesn't mean I want to hear everyone's business. All I need to know is what your movie is about and when it comes out, then I'll decide to see it or not.

November 15, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kikid

George, I can't understand why ANYONE is on twitter, especially adults. it's such a stupid and juvenile medium for whiners and wanna be fame mongers!

November 15, 2013 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. Art

More proof that straight men are just a**holes 24/7/365. It's part of your "lifestyle."

November 14, 2013 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

How Discriminitory is your statement. Wow

November 15, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Another guest

And kind of a gay comment, too. Gay as in stupid. Everyone knows that straight men have no 'lifestyles.' Just like how we don't wear 'outfits,' or 'hairstyles' because that stuff is for the women. And the gays. Sure, some of us are a**holes, but as you've proven with your statement, Art, so are some of you gay men.

November 15, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ted Nugent suks elephant dong

Just like all right wing extremists. Fingers crossed that the idiot, has been rocker has a hunting accident soon. People with dementia shouldn't play with guns.

November 12, 2013 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ted Nugent

Actually, that's very unlikely, seeing as I have years of experience with using all kinds of weapons safely and responsibly. It's more likely that you, with your hatred of guns and common sense, will be a victim of a home invasion or street mugging from one of your inner city homeys, and will be unable to defend yourself because you are a pu$$y.

November 13, 2013 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Basketball Jones

Clooney has not done anything worth a damn since his role on Facts of Life.

November 13, 2013 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Ted Nugent's Mama

You let my youngin be. How dare you spat such nonsense. He is a good boy.

November 18, 2013 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • svenghooli

Love the name....

December 2, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Fleegle

He is pretty hot, and I'm not even gay.

November 12, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Tully

How about Leo let George win because George was older? I remember the swimming pool scene in The Year Of Living Dangerously, Mel let the old guy win the challenge. And, George has to brag to the press. Lol.

November 12, 2013 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  8. TextHeartTrue

George is the hottest man I have ever seen in my life and he is aging very well. I feel he is funny, witty and has a good sense of humor.

November 12, 2013 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  9. George is the hottest guy on earth

I would do him without batting an eye

November 12, 2013 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Bingo

You need to bat your eyes whether you are doing him or not, otherwise they will dry out. Eyes need lubrication, so blink often to ensure that.

November 12, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bingo

Sorry, I am mildly retarded and didn't realize I was typing this nonsense. Just call me Cliff Clavin.

November 18, 2013 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  10. jan

George...certainly good looking, but really, do we care who plays a better game of basketball? Maybe if the interview was with Larry Bird or Magic...

November 12, 2013 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  11. JC

Clooney is a lousy actor – so arrogant and thinks he it. Crowe and Dicaprio are better actors – better looking too.

November 12, 2013 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Drooper

I disagree. I have found him to be a fine actor and have enjoyed him in practically every movie I have seen him in. Except for that crappy Batman and Robin stinker, of course.

November 12, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. lisa runnels

WELL, PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT--JUST PRACTICE--BESIDES, NO BODY SAYS YOU HAVE TO BE AN ACE ,AT ANY SPORT--–FOR SOME, ENJOYING WATCHING SPORTS ,IS GOOD------NOW, CLOONEY IS A HANDSOME GUY,BUT,I THINK HE NEEDS TO COLOR HIS HAIR AND GET A NEW WAVE SHORT HAIR STYLE-–GREY LOOKS GOOD ON SOME AND MAKES OTHERS LOOK OLDER ,THAN THEY ARE-–HIS GREY, IS MAKING HIM LOOK AND FEEL OLDER--AND, HIS RECENT BREAK UP,I'M SURE HAS IT'S DOWN SIDE--AS FAR AS TWITTER--WELL,SOME, ARE REALLY INTO IT---BUT, LAVISH POLITICAL DINNERS, CAN HAVE IT'S DOWN SIDE ,ALSO---STARS SHOULD REALLY, STAY CLEAR OF POLITICS--THEY'RE INVOLVEMENT ALWAYS MAKES THEM LOOK FOOLISH LATER ON DOWN THE ROAD---BECAUSE, OF THE NATURE OF THE BEAST, IN POLITICS----MAYBE,CLOONEY SHOULD ADOPT A KID--–TO PLAY BASKET BALL WITH-–SERIOUSLY---MAYBE,A TEENAGER, IN NEED OF A COOL DAD--

November 12, 2013 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  13. Meh

Hey George – I call you out on your mediocre abilities at playing pretend

November 12, 2013 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  14. Marquee Blog Troll

They are a healthy couple...healthy relationship...

November 12, 2013 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  15. T Lopez

Always cool to see a guy like Clooney (respected filmmaker/activist) being REAL about Hollywood and its peeps, especially when giving it straight to the most d*ckish of celebrities like Leo DiCaprio. Go on with your 50-something self, George! I'd rather play a game with you than DiCaprio any day.

November 12, 2013 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  16. Johnny Fever

Hey everyone get a grip this was meant for funny entertainment. There was no political spin, no real fight between Clooney or Leo. It was in good fun.

November 12, 2013 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  17. margarita

ummmm??....... why you baggin on leo for his basketball skills. im sure u cant do any better!

November 12, 2013 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
    • sherpaderp

Uh, did you not read the artcile? He whooped him handedly. And yeah, it's not important news but I found it amusing. He obviously doesn't hate leo, he's just joking around as most guys do with their buddies.

November 15, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Leo D.

SAID THE LIAR.

November 12, 2013 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  19. spaceflight101

Twitter has been the undoing of many otherwise good people. It gives you the ability to run off at the mouth on a world stage. Go ahead, put your business out there for all the world to see.

November 12, 2013 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  20. Joe

I don't know, joking or not, it seems weird to just publicly humiliate another A-lister regardless of who or what kind of friends he is surrounded by. It's one thing to say that you ran into DiCaprio and you guys played and you won, it's another to describe the pregame, the blowout scores, and then to add insult to injury, talk about the kinds of friends DiCaprio had on his own team. It really sounds more like that Clooney has a disdain for DiCaprio. Something happened or was said that Clooney wanted to publicly embarass him.

November 12, 2013 at 6:17 am | Report abuse |
  21. Liberal Green

Of all things to be concerned with "tweeting", you'd think Clooney would do more research into the farce of "global warming" before he spouts off nonesense there as he has of lately.

November 12, 2013 at 6:03 am | Report abuse |
    • That's a good one

Global warming is a farce? Another rightie who does not believe in science. Tell those poor people in the Philippines all about that global warming farce. You ppl are total idiots.

November 12, 2013 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Peter Puffer

Infidels, with all their science mumbo jumbo.

November 12, 2013 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Al Gore

If you trolls and naysayers don't pipe down and start towing the line, I'm gonna un-invent the internet! I'm serial!

November 12, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ted Nugent

Hey Al, let's go bow hunting. You just need to wear this deer suit.

November 12, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ ted

As long as you wear your horse's azz suit. I might add, you wear it well.

November 12, 2013 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ted Nugent

Looks better than the drag queen suit you are wearing. Why is your lipstick smeared so bad? Is that mayonnaise dripping down your chin?

November 13, 2013 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
  22. Dylan's Mr Jones

Fluff article. Both these guys are sweethearts. I'm sure his tongue was planted deeply in his cheek while discussing Hollywood Hoops. Wouldn't mind having several beers with either or both of them anytime. George? Leo? Call me!

November 12, 2013 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  23. JGN

G Clooney is nice and sarcastic; he must be a blast to sit across from at a lunch table. It's nice to see someone in Hollowood has a quick wit.

November 12, 2013 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  24. Alvarez

I'd like to squirt a thick stream of trouser chili upon both of their faces.

November 12, 2013 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  25. Ben

I hear George I'm 52 as well and sometimes I play guys years younger than me. I don't win all the time but when I do its because they can't play better than me and or they are out of comdidation. And if I do lose they know that they were in a fight. Hey George stay away from teenager those kids can run forever. I played with a group of them a week ago and I'm still tried. What if I may George is saying IF U CAN'T WALK THE WALK. DON'T TALK THE TALK!

November 12, 2013 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  26. MNDude

When was this artical about politics? Oh yeah never. Normal life is stressful enough to let a little meaningless, sarcastic, and funny artical go to waste over stupid commentors. I laughed when I read this, be it internally, it's like west side story meets basketball diaries meets cribs. Ironic and hilarious.

November 11, 2013 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  27. obama the clown

You know what they say , vote republican before your 30 and you have no heart, vote democrat after 30 and you have no brain, hey Clooney if you had to get up at 4:30 am 6 days a week just to bring home $650 you'd be a republican, guarantee it, you can make $20 million for couple months on movie set so you don't care that liberals rape the paycheck

November 11, 2013 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  28. obama the clown

Clooney I like your ocean eleven movies and brother where art thou and that one were your wife's dying can't remember name at the moment but your backward silly wrong in the real world liberal politics

November 11, 2013 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Here we go again

Why, why, why, do you Republicants have to bring politics into an entertainment blog all the time? Your constant whining is getting pretty old.

November 12, 2013 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Ted Nugent

Tell that to palintwit and the name-stealing liberal clown that's always here.

November 12, 2013 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ted Nugent must be Sokman/namkoS new alter ego

Since that conservatard tool has pretty much lost ownership of those monikers.

You should use a name that's a little more suited to your political leanings, like SoKKKman. Or, since you so cleverly reversed it to namkoS, try namKKKoS.

November 12, 2013 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ted Nugent

And the no-name liberal pu $$ y that lurks here all day rears its ugly head again. I bet you're behind all the name stealing, and probably responsible for the dating spam too.

November 13, 2013 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Oooohhh, you got me

Yes, genius. I have a vast network of name stealing blogger minions desperately combing the marquee blog in search of bloggers with who we disagree. We are legion and cannot be stopped.

Paranoid much? I think we all know the answer to that.

And no, I have nothing to do with the dating site spammer. Or the other hacker trolls.

November 13, 2013 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  29. Dave Wilson

I'll beat both Clooney and Di Caprio 20-0.

November 11, 2013 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Chisaii

Typical Clooney.

As cool as ever!

November 11, 2013 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Ou812

Who really gives a rats a**?! Doesn't Clooney have some retarded liberal agenda he should be working on? Lol

November 11, 2013 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave Wilson

Can't be any worse than some retarded conservative agenda!

November 11, 2013 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • knight

Yep, he's using a satellite to keep tabs on Sudan to help prevent the massacre and villages of innocent civilians. Totally retarded, right?

November 11, 2013 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  32. MARIA

I THINK ALL THIS IS CHILDISH

November 11, 2013 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  33. justwondering

I have always thought that Leo bears a strong resemblance to David Gilmour of pink Floyd.

November 11, 2013 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  34. DL

Man Clooney is such a cool guy.

November 11, 2013 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  35. kush

go leo. f*** everyone else.

November 11, 2013 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  36. George Clooney

Leo,see if you can run the tables with Cyrus Miley as well as Coaches Roy and KKK do.

November 11, 2013 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  37. brad

...and this is newsworthy? why?

November 11, 2013 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Rose L

You guys are missing the entire point of his story. He's saying that people should know what their skill level is before they start boasting. He is chiding Leo DiCaprio for basically just believing his own hype or believing the apparent sycophants who hang around him. I don't think this is a bad message at all. I have to say, I think Clooney is a pretty straight shooter and he doesn't buy into just anything.

November 11, 2013 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Snooki

Strange how CNN reports this story only focuses on Leo, if I recall there was also a story on Russell Crowe. Nevertheless, Clooney is just being a jack a** always so opionated about his other co-stars. Not a classy thing to do.

November 11, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Rose N. Crantz

I don't care if they can play ball or not, they are still both liberal idiots.

November 11, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kate

Rose, I wouldn't expect more from a conservative hag like you. People like you are afraid of everything.

November 11, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trooper

Rose is a pudgy, balding, middle aged man trying to be clever using a Shakespearean blog name, just FYI. Still a loser conservative, either way.

November 11, 2013 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Peace ☮

Lol, good story. Age is just a # & I guess DiCaprio found that out. Good for you GC!

November 11, 2013 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |