Jennifer Lawrence: Deaf and drinking on 'Catching Fire' set
November 7th, 2013

Jennifer Lawrence: Deaf and drinking on 'Catching Fire' set

Jennifer Lawrence's hair has had a drastic makeover, but the actress herself is as refreshingly frank as ever.

The actress participated in a few fan events on Wednesday, including a Google+ Hangout with her "Hunger Games" co-stars Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth, a Yahoo! "fireside chat" along with "Hunger Games: Catching Fire" director Francis Lawrence, and another Facebook Q&A along with the whole crew.

One persistent question, of course, was what prompted Lawrence's big chop.

"I cut it earlier, and it grew to that awkward gross length and I kept putting it back in a bun, and I was like, 'well, I don't want to do this,' so I just cut it off. It couldn't get any uglier," she joked with the audience at Yahoo!. "This isn't how Katniss is going to look in the next movies, don't worry. I'm wearing a wig."

It was evident from Lawrence's interaction with her cast mates that they've developed a familial bond, and, like a lot of siblings, that bond has included accidental injuries. As Hutcherson said during Google+'s hangout, Lawrence once nearly knocked him out.

"When we were filming the first movie, 'The Hunger Games,' in North Carolina, we were goofing around and all of a sudden she does a textbook roundhouse kick, right to my temple," he recalled. "I kept consciousness, and we kind of laughed about it and I walked away. I went to the medic, and ... I had a mild concussion."

Lawrence - who's been profusely apologizing for kicking Hutcherson in the head for the past three years now - didn't escape filming the newest "Hunger Games" movie, "Catching Fire," without hurting herself, too.

"I went deaf in one ear for two-and-a-half weeks," the 23-year-old actress revealed. "I got a double ear infection because I had to keep diving into this water, and then I had to keep jumping into this water that was supposed to be like hurricane water, with really powerful jets ... and punctured my eardrum."

Never say Lawrence doesn't suffer for her art. It wasn't all pain behind-the-scenes, though. Occasionally, the cast - particularly, it sounds like, Woody Harrelson - likes to let loose with a few drinks. While they were filming at a convention center in Atlanta, Hutcherson and Harrelson were "running around acting like total idiots while you guys were trying to film - it was so much fun."

"We were drunk," Lawrence interjected. "That was fun. That was the first time I'd ever drank at work."

At least the shot turned out OK. "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" opens nationwide on November 22.

Filed under: Celebrities • Hunger Games • Jennifer Lawrence • movies

1. RICHARD QUEST: PAYONG KAIBIGAN

Jennifer Lawrence: Deaf and drinking on 'Catching Fire' set

November 21, 2013 at 2:56 am | Report abuse |
  2. marilyn

She is fake pretending to trip at Oscars and saying she doesn't know where the Oscar is now, that is bull if she didn't care about it she would have stayed home instead of going to the awards. She just loves the attention, but she is very boring.

November 14, 2013 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Danny

She's awesome! You sound like a jealous chick.

November 14, 2013 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
    • RodW

Green eyed monster

November 14, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • snow

wow, talk about being cheap jealous bint, marilyn..

Besides, how do you propose one works in "show business" without "getting attention"?

November 15, 2013 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • derek

shes perfect.....dont be so jealous

November 18, 2013 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jackson

Just curious, Marilyn,

Have you dedicated your life to being a total hater b!tch, or did your gynecologist pull the wrong tooth yesterday?

November 25, 2013 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Cedar

Silly boys, Marilyn is JLaw. Fall for that?

November 25, 2013 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Hot Carl

She has "cankles"!

November 11, 2013 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. winterforge

It's just like she's fighting in Afghanistan, right Tom?

November 8, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hogarth

Yeah, Jim. Or like she's driving a lorrie in Taiwan during typhoon season. WOOOOSH!

November 8, 2013 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dopeboykid

She punctured her ear?...... i dont think dat is safe but if they r payin u for it then by all means have at it. All the best to a beautiful and talented actress

November 8, 2013 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
    • gah

i am wondering if she meant she ruptured her eardrum. punctured sounds more like a sharp object piercing the eardrum, while ear infections and powerful water jets could rupture it. i've had the former rupture my eardrums multiple times in my life, and yes, it's like your ear canal is stuffed with cotton. you can't hear well for weeks and there's really not much you can do but wait for your eardrum to heal :(

November 8, 2013 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Sean

Wow, you should go to school. No offense but you're really illiterate.

November 14, 2013 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  6. Gary

Loooove me some Jennifer Lawerence! Could eat her alive after seeing her figure as Mistyque in X-Men!

November 8, 2013 at 3:53 am | Report abuse |