'Orange Is the New Black' star on Julianne Hough's costume
October 30th, 2013

'Orange Is the New Black' star on Julianne Hough's costume

Julianne Hough offended many with her recent Halloween costume - one that unbelievably included blackface - but "Orange is the New Black" star Laverne Cox isn't among the miffed.

"I wasn't offended," Cox, who portrays Sophia on the Netflix comedy, told Us Weekly of Hough's costume, which was inspired by the "OITNB" character "Crazy Eyes," played by Cox's castmate, Uzo Aduba.

Instead, Cox just found Hough's get-up sad.

"I thought it was a shame that (Hough) is in this country, that she would wear blackface and not understand the historical implications of that," Cox said. "I don't think Julianne is making a specific informed choice to comment on blackness. I just think it's out of this ignorance. That's really sad."

Since the incident, Hough has apologized.

"I am a huge fan of the show Orange is the New black, actress Uzo Aduba, and the character she has created. It certainly was never my intention to be disrespectful or demeaning to anyone in any way," she wrote on Saturday. "I realize my costume hurt and offended people and I truly apologize."

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. Rock

Stop griping...Id eat you as much as many other colors

November 5, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mark still

Cox is condescending. Hough should be offended.

November 3, 2013 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Green is the new purple

I have to tuck my penis into my sock, it's that big! Otherwise it would drag on the ground, or I might trip on it.

November 1, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Ginalin

Research the history of "blackface".

November 1, 2013 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. QUP2

We paint Dracula/vampire faces white, frankenstein green, Charlie Chaplin with the same moustache that Hitler used ... it's part of the costume. People, stop being so dramatic and give up the problem profiteering mantra. It's old.

November 1, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim Rep

Took the words out of my mouth. They just HAVE to keep those flame burning. Just like to get their names in the news... maybe?

November 4, 2013 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Sometimes when we touch, the honesty's too much

November 4, 2013 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  6. Isaac

I don't think she did it to offend. I wouldn't even consider what she did as blackface. Blackface is more on the lines of literal black (as tar) makeup and and red lips plastered across your face.

November 1, 2013 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  7. luna

I don't understand why it's such a big deal when it's JUST A COSTUME! it's not like she was trying to be "black".
    AND what about the movie White Chicks?
    So it's okay for 2 black men to dress up as white women in a movie and COMPLETELY STEREO TYPE they ways of Caucasian women...
    where's the heat for that?
    sorry but i don't drive a drop top beetle and i hate the michelle branch song they portray as loved by "white chicks"
    (and actually, i am mexican but considered a 'White girl" by other "more" mexican people, just because i was born in the US)
    yes, sure there is historical issues with "blackface" in that white actors would paint their faces to be latin, black, native american, asian, etc..
    But It's History!!!
    it's not now..it's in the past..and as far as i can see, the only people that need to get over it are the rest of cultured america. we're not living in the 50's anymore..culture has been okay! for a long time now! quite with the racist paranoia!
    I don't get mad when i watch west side story and say "omg they painted their faces as puerto ricans!"..
    it's an old movie!
    and if julian hough needs to paint her face to properly portray her character's costume, then she should be able to without criticism.

October 31, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Chill Out!!!

She was in costume. She was not making a politcal, economic or racial statement. She was dressing as her favorite character from a show. If I'm to take this writer's point of view then I can't dress as Rocky because even though I am white I am not Italian. I can't dress as Bruce Wayne because I'm not rich. I can't dress as Darth Vader because I'm not from Tatooine. This is riduculous. Are we expecting to get an appology from Robert Downey Jr. for his character in Tropic Thunder? What about the Wayan's brothers from White Girls? How about every actor that portrayed a character not of the ethnicity. I don't think so. People need to relax. It wasn't "Black Face" she was wearing but rather makeup to darken her skin.
    Everyone should just dress up as themselves because according to society that it the only thing you are permitted to due with having to worry about upsetting someone.
    Looking forward to the movie about the actor/actress being themself doing nothing creative and being un-entertaining because I might be offended.
    Loosen up people. Bring on the black Superman costume. The female Darth Vader or storm trooper. Anyone showing up at my house dressed in something imaginative that is not of themselves is getting something extra today.

October 31, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Linda

Is this a man or a woman? She/he is UGLY!

October 31, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Suzanne

Shut up!!! How ridiculous. It was an innocent act and done with no vengeance and no racism intent. This broad needs to lighten up as does anyone who found Julianne's costume offensive. Black people still crying "poor me". Get a sense of humor. Typical....black people get ticked off but whites are supposed to take it. Orange even made fun of white people on the show, hypocrite!!!!!

October 31, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jeremy

Julianne Hough's problem is she thinks the OITNB character is great because of her skin tone? Growing up, I went as Fat Albert one year because I really liked the character. I put on his signature red shirt and stuffed a round pillow under it. I walked around saying "Hey, hey, hey" (in Bill Cosby's voice). People got it. No need to go blackface.

October 31, 2013 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  12. Carl F

Funny you should bring up Dave Chappelle... what about Eddie Murphy and the Wayans brothers? What's up with the double standard? Do we really need to hear more whining about how the "Black Man" has suffered? Really? Yes they have suffered but it's not like they are alone, or the first. Hell, Joseph's own brothers sold him into slavery hundreds of years earlier, and you don't hear his ancestors milking it.

October 31, 2013 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  13. namkoS

She's dressed as an orangutan for Halloween. Swing from the branches and give me some monkey noise, honey. Oh, that's not a costume?

October 30, 2013 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Forrest Gump

Momma was right. Stupid is as stupid does.

October 30, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. 80's Geezer-to-be

Who do these people hire as pr reps or agents?! Stupid is as stupid does. She KNEW the implications, she just didn't CARE or think anyone else would. do others realize when they defended her they were basically saying, "oh that Julianne, she is just a dumba**". LOL

October 30, 2013 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Hot Carl

And what about when Dave Chappelle does his white newscaster impersonation? Oh, that's funny, huh? How about when Key & Peele do the Jewish & Nazi skit with the cat toy? Yeah, that's real funny too, right? "You people" need to get over yourselves.

October 30, 2013 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Peace ☮

Cone head?

October 30, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Capt. Zap

Squint your eyes and imagine Uzo Aduba in white face makeup, and she looks just like Julianne Hough!

October 30, 2013 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |