Lisa Kudrow talks 'life-altering' nose job
October 29th, 2013

Lisa Kudrow talks 'life-altering' nose job

Not every celebrity will admit to going under the knife, but "Friends" actress Lisa Kudrow has nothing to hide.

Kudrow, 50, tells The Saturday Evening Post that not only did she get a nose job at 16, but she also has no regrets. The decision, she says, was "life-altering."

"I went from, in my mind, hideous, to not hideous," Kudrow explains. "I did it the summer before going to a new high school. So there were plenty of people who wouldn’t know how hideous I looked before. That was a good, good, good change."

But, we have to say, we think Kudrow might tend toward the self-critical. When asked about her Emmy-winning performance as Phoebe (and Ursula) Buffay on "Friends," she admits that she thinks she "sucked" on the long-running comedy.

"Yes, sometimes I watch myself, and I mean, really?" she says. "I had always thought that fame would give you permission to lighten up on yourself. If everybody else likes you, you could finally have permission to love yourself. It’s not true."

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. Roger

Lisa - you didn't suck. Phoebe was my favourite Friend, full stop.

November 26, 2013 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. scopedope

I think you were great on Friends!

November 21, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. D9

That's a good looking 50!

November 13, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • M C

She looks good, but 50 is not old. If you ask me, her nose still looks long.

November 21, 2013 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  4. brad

I never lowered my IQ by watching friends, nor seinfeld, nor most of yesterdays or todays sit-coms, or reality shows.. and I'm quite proud of that! and it seems EVERYONE needs therapy these days.. what happened to growing some self-esteem and doing something about your INNER issues instead of doing something to alter your OUTER issues... oh well, todays world, I feel sorry for todays kids... time outs & therapy instead of LEARNING how to deal with issues and yourselves.. too bad parents cant be role models instead of singers, rappers, movie stars, reality stars..or articles of clothing or name brands.. what a shame!

November 3, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa50

38 c...buys her own stuff...no worries.

November 3, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • BaltoGuy

I can see you must REALLY have a high IQ given the UPPER CASE emphasis in your comment. Actually, "Sienfeld" is brilliant as is "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and other Larry David creations. They are all "much ado about nothing"; kind of like these blogs.

November 5, 2013 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Jane

u huh..please.

November 5, 2013 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • BD

@Brad – So you never lowered your IQ by watching these tv shows, yet here you are reading about the stars of them in the entertainment section? Good for you, Brad. Good for you.

November 5, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rett

I'm with you on the reality shows.....but you never watched Seinfeld? You have missed some funny stuff.

November 5, 2013 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • DB

Has anybody ever told you what an insufferable windbag you are?

November 6, 2013 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lindy

You can't lower your IQ by watching a program. Those with low IQ to begin with watch all that crap. I've never seen any of it and don't plan to either.

November 10, 2013 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shadow

Brad, since you work out all those issues yourself, how about working on those delusions of grandeur you suffer from. You actually believe you are better than people because you didn't watch some comedy tv shows. LMAO
      You do realize that an overly controlling personality is a mental disorder too, yes?
      I figured you might know both problems there, along with a lack of sense of humor are deficiencies that you suffer from and are too proud to get assistance with. Well, that being the case, grab a psychology book and work it out for yourself for the rest of your life, as you are, apparently, all powerful and can solve all problems by yourself and by not watching...sitcoms. lol
      P.S. I think you did manage to find your mate for life in Lindy. ;-)

November 11, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kelly

Jeesh, up tight! You need a hydrocolonic.

November 16, 2013 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
    • cjacja

This is not about self-esteem. This woman makes her living in front of a camera and is getting older. She wants to keep working so she has to look like what some producer/director wants.

Yes most other cosmetic surgeries are pointless

November 19, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larson

Aww Brad...

Sorry, but you're coming off as a snob. Friends was a funny show. There's a reason that it lasted 10 years, the acting and writing was awesome. You should hide in the closet sometime with your laptop and watch some of the episodes. You'll be glad you did.

November 20, 2013 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • M.C.

I never thought Friends was that great, either. Lots of people liked it, but I didn't think the plots and situations were all that believable or funny. To each his own.

November 21, 2013 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  5. Shay

I don't mind her as an actress, but they way she spoke in the interview seems like she still has some self-criticism issues that could benefit from some therapy.

November 1, 2013 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mesfin

yes for it to be life altering, she must have been snub nosed girl and now she has a straight thin nose. Look where she landed! She got an acting job, where beauty is the utmost qualification.

November 1, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Brian

I agree with barbara. When I hear about a life altering nose job, the first thing I think is, "let me see the before and after pics".

November 1, 2013 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Nathan

I love Lisa Kudrow. I think she was the funniest character on Friends and her self-doubt just makes me love her more; obviously she hasn't let Hollywood get to her. I would love to see her in a serious role *looks on IMDB*

October 31, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JGN

Lisa Kudrow is extremely intelligent and extremely funny. Her self doubts are common for anyone who has both humor and brains. And 'C' honestly, what a bumpkin you must be to make a comment like that. A person's face is what the world sees, so how can a nose job NOT be life altering? It doesn't matter whether you happen to believe it's a frivolous surgery, the fact is that it obviously would be life altering, whether you 'had a life' before or not, as I suspect you do not.

October 31, 2013 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  10. kathy

I thought she was brilliant on Friends...none of them really sucked...except maybe David Schwimmer just a little bit.

October 31, 2013 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Bates

No, he didn't. Many of us thought he was one of the stronger comedic performers.

November 1, 2013 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Bubchek

Brilliant? Wow, guess I really missed something since I never watched it. Not once even. DANG!!! Chick show "Fer Sher"

November 9, 2013 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  11. hugefan

Her nose is beautiful, as are the rest of her parts. She is also talented and very intelligent. In case you didn't know.

October 31, 2013 at 5:41 am | Report abuse |
  12. c

If a nose job was "life altering" you had no real life to speak of.

October 30, 2013 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nobody you know

As if you had a clue what anyone else's life was like. Really, how arrogant can one person be?

October 31, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Says the loser posting criticisms on the internet. Yeah, you're quite the winner, c.

November 1, 2013 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Hey John...says the loser who is replying to others' comments on the internet. :)

November 3, 2013 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. barbara

Some before and after shots would have been nice.

October 30, 2013 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |