Katy Perry: Why is everybody so naked?
October 28th, 2013

Katy Perry: Why is everybody so naked?

Katy Perry, with her "eye of the tiger," has noticed a lot of naked pop stars lately.

As the 29-year-old told NPR in a recent interview, there's been so much nudity from female singers, she's become almost the "default" inspiration for young music fans.

"A lot of people see me as a role model, but I'd like to kind of turn that around and say, 'I appreciate that but I'd like to be seen as an inspiration,'" Perry said in the interview, while promoting her new album, "Prism." "A role model, I think, will fail you. I mean, I couldn't tell kids when it's time for them to try things or do things. I mean, that's not my role."

But, funny enough, she does see herself becoming an "inspiration out of default right now, 'cause it's such a strange world. Like females in pop – everybody's getting naked. I mean, I've been naked before but I don't feel like I have to always get naked to be noticed. But it's interesting to see."

Perry assured her listeners that she wasn't talking about any woman in particular, but rather "all of them."

"I mean, it's like everybody's so naked," she said. "It's like, 'put it away. We know you've got it.'"

Yet before she could be reminded of her own skin-baring style, the "Roar" singer admitted that she's "taken it out here and there. And I'm not necessarily judging. I'm just saying sometimes it's nice to play that card but also it's nice to play other cards. And I know I have that sexy card in my deck but I don't always have to use that card."

Filed under: Celebrities • Katy Perry • Music

« Previous entry
  1. bruce

Give us a break Katy, didn't one of your biggest videos have sparklers coming out of your BOOBs !!

November 24, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ruby Dolores Witham

There is actually no excuse for performers to go on stage without more clothing. Why does a person have to
    show their body? Some can almost make a person sick just looking at them. My parents never allowed us
    to go out in public like people these days. We had to be completely dressed.

November 23, 2013 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. K

What inspiration you could give being naked? To whom? Serial rapists? Which parent would want their children to follow a role model thinking that being naked is an inspiration?

November 16, 2013 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
    • H4BAF

Did you even read the article, or are you unable to comprehend?

November 16, 2013 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Crotchety

She's heavy bottomed. She probably looks bad naked. Good. Keep your clothes on fatty.

November 19, 2013 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JustUsBikers

This is a no brainer! Many women like to get naked and show their bodies and get the attention. Even when they don't want you looking at them they really do and just never admit it.

November 13, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Troyzkoi

I would be so honored to have such a talented and amazing creature, such as Katy for a wife. I would love and cherish her for eternity. I would die and melt into her arms if I had the chance to be her one and only.

Love you,

Keep up the hard work, it's amazing the things that you do do.
    The power of your voice is calling my name, you've woken me from a deep sleep.
    Keep killing them softly with that gorgeous voice of yours. And you can seal that with a kiss!
    Good night. xoxoxoxo sweet dreams of a tasty me/nu. Chocolate covered strawberries of course.

tk

November 13, 2013 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jon

Pot, meet kettle. Show me one Katy Perry video that isn't focused on her mams, typically with something shooting out of them.

November 7, 2013 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Concerned mom

I agree with you Katy! You are such a great role model! My two sweet angels Just love you, and it feels so good to know they won't be steered in the wrong direction. Katie, the older one (yes she spells it with a "Y" now) is almost halfway through her first year of junior high, and she has only contracted chlamydia once!!! Keep up the good work katy, and stay outspoken when it comes to all these horrible hussies with no morals!!!

November 5, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Katy

hot.

November 3, 2013 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  9. Nodack

Ask Katy's father if he thinks she is a role model. He is disgusted by his daughter.

November 1, 2013 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. hurt

what sucks is when she finally does get naked to get that publicity, she's gonna be way past her prime.

if she just did it now, she would still be attractive

October 30, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. The Spread Eagle

Katy Perry had a talent a few years ago that brought tears too my eyes. I feel when she's 50 she will still have the same stamina she back then. This was her goal to lose the rest of the weight and she will finish the job. Yea showering in front of a Skype..yea that was fun. I would like to bring those same memories back just like Katy does.

October 30, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ruthann Adamsky

The photo of Katy Perry shows her wearing plastic wrap over a bathing suit; I don't think she gets to criticize what other people do or do not wear.

October 30, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Telewhacker

I want to have her baby.

October 30, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Meh

Role model...lmao
    Lets see...
    cant sing
    big rack
    hypocrite

October 30, 2013 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  15. jim g

WHY is everybody naked? no talent. get attention by taking their clothes off.

October 29, 2013 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Slurpee

That's it exactly, get naked, twerk your butt and it doesn't matter if you have any talent.

October 30, 2013 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Larry

It's the old standby, just like when dating. If you're too stupid to talk or do something intelligent, take off your clothes and show your boobies. Makes you popular.

October 29, 2013 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  17. lara

i feel you gal.i'm totally with you.u dnt have to go all nude to gt other people to notice you. Nice 1 katy;)

October 29, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Kestrel

There's a lot worse out there – I'm looking at you, Rihanna – than Katy Perry.
    Her songs are fluff, she wears tight dresses and clownish makeup but at least her songs have a positivity to them that is entirely missing in other's efforts. I'd rather have Katy for dinner than Rihanna (she'd make a pass at my 13 year old) or Britney (she'd chew with her mouth open) but we can all agree than Taylor Swift sets the bar. Good kids do exist today. We should support them.

October 29, 2013 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  19. Nate

this is someone who is completely naked in California Girls... the ENTIRE time. Ridiculous.

October 29, 2013 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  20. mikeymo74

What a hypocrite. She wouldn't have made it if not for showing off her breasts every chance she gets. Her songs are all standard industry pop with no soul or creativity and she can't even sing live.

October 29, 2013 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
  21. jujubeans

I'm all for naked!

October 28, 2013 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  22. yeah-

Bet that's the closest you get to one.

October 29, 2013 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Pervinator

Kinda makes you wanna sn@tch a kiss, don't it?

October 30, 2013 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  24. Crotch-Rocketeer

Meat Missile launch in 10...9...8...7...

October 30, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |