Why Morgan Freeman won't be seeing '12 Years A Slave'
October 24th, 2013

Why Morgan Freeman won't be seeing '12 Years A Slave'

It's one of the most acclaimed movies of the year, and is an expected awards season contender, but Morgan Freeman isn't that interested in seeing "12 Years A Slave."

The Steve McQueen-directed drama is based on the real-life account of Solomon Northup, a free black man who was kidnapped and trafficked into slavery in the antebellum South.

The film is being hailed as a masterpiece, with accolades regularly handed out by critics for stars Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender and Lupita Nyong'o.

But Freeman hasn't been swayed by the clamor.

"I saw a television movie that was made a few years ago about the same character (Northup)," the 76-year-old, who next stars in November 1's "Last Vegas," explained to The Daily Beast. "But I don’t particularly want to see it. I don’t want my anger quotient exacerbated, you know? Things are bad enough as they are. I don’t want to keep punching myself in the face with it."

"12 Years A Slave" opened in limited release on October 18, and is expected to go wide on November 1.

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. JTMackTX

It should make you mad when you see it. That way you remember how awful it was and won't let it happen again. Also, maybe you won't use the word slavery so nonchalantly like Sarah Palin and her right wing brood of numbnuts.

November 22, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joe Schlabotnik

So Jewish people won't make or watch any more holocaust movies then either?

November 21, 2013 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. RETSGM

I agree with Mr. Freeman, I get mad all over again when I see movies about slavery.

November 21, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Hadenuffyet

Slavery has been around forever. Every race , color , creed and nation has been a victim at some point , so I refuse to plat a pity tune for anyone , anywhere , anyway.

November 20, 2013 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Lost

I refuse to see the movie "12 Years A Slave" due to the subject matter. It's so painful, and slavery in this country's past has left an irreparable blemish. From the indoctrination of anti-miscegenation laws and the "one-drop rule", to Jim Crow laws, to the war on drugs, and the war on poverty....all tools used to cripple a people hungry for justice. Now, we have a president whose mother is white,and who's father is black, we are all insulted to see him endure racial attacks and slurs simply because some one or group of hateful people can't agree with him. The reported upswing of white-supremacist group recruiting activities is also another slap in the face. My question is this: What have black people done to deserve such ill treatment, what have native indigenous people done to deserve such ill treatment? What is wrong with white people?

November 20, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • percy chow

FWIW – I think everyone under 20 in the USA needs to see movies like this. Not because I am encouraging pain, but because our youth need to know there was a time in America (and people to this day), when society saw it right to treat people as less than people.

The most shocked audiences I met who saw "42" weren't adults – it was kids I talked to, because they didn't understand how an entire nation, their own USA, had such beliefs.

November 20, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aaron

You're right. Even black colleges hate Obama. For ObamaCare cancelling their insurance: http://campusreform.org/?ID=5235

What is wrong with people who see eternal left/right disagreement as "raaaacist!!"?

November 21, 2013 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  6. Kenny

Love Freeman. His narration of Through the Worm Hole is epic.

November 19, 2013 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  7. eva68

I agree with Freeman. I feel the same way about politics.

November 17, 2013 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  8. HACKING UPDATES AS FOLLOWS...

EP IS BLOCKED ON THIS MACHINE AND ALL HER OTHER SH-T FOR THE WEEK HAS BEEN FILED....

DONE.

November 15, 2013 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • revdocjoel

This article is misleading. THE Steve McQueen (of The Great Escape, and Bullitt fame) could not have directed this movie because he died in 1980.

November 16, 2013 at 4:53 am | Report abuse |
  9. giolynn

My 85 year old grandmother told me she did not want to see any slave movies because she was raised in the South, worked the cotton fields and it was too close to home. I agree with Mr. Freeman and my grandmother. I do not need to see a portrayl of what my family went through. Sometimes things are too close to home.

November 13, 2013 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. SONIA

EVERY ONE HAS A RIGHT TO THEIR OPINION, JSUT BECAUSE MR. FREEMAN DOESN'T WANT TO SEE THE MOVIE, DOESN'T MAKES HIM A RASCIST. THIS MAN IS WELL BEYOND 50 AND HAS SEEN MANY THINGS IN HIS LIFE TIME. AS WELL AS BEING A READ MAN. AGE, GENERALLY COMES WITH COMMON SENSE AND GOOD JUDGEMENT, HE KNOWS THE STORY ,PROBABLY BETTER THAN MOST, ITS NOT A STORY BEING TOLD FOR THE FIRST TIME, JUST BEING ALLOWED TO FOR THE FIRST TIME. ITS ALL APART OF A PLAN TO REMIND BLACK FOLKS THAT NOTHING REALLY CHANGED AND IF YOUO WANT WHATS YOURS THEN YOU BETTER BE PREPARED TO FIGHT, AND EVEN THEN IT CAN STILL BE TAKEN FROM YOU . ME , I AGREE WITH MR. FREEMAN WE DON'T HAVE TO GO TO EVERY MOVIE ABOUT SLAVERY OF THE BLACK MAN GOOD OR BAD, WE KNOW OUR HISTORY.

November 13, 2013 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  11. neschegemov

Mr. Freeman is not required to see any movies and give any reasons for that. He, however, being in a position of prominence and influence, should be cognizant of the effects his statements make on other people. That's a basic duty of a public man, which he is. The reason he gave is immature and inflammatory, and especially strange coming from a man who's done so fantastically well in a place where things are so "bad". The comment is deeply disdainful of the very people of all races whose help, work and love helped to make him what he is. He could've done better.

November 12, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • RAL

AMEN!!! Mr. Freeman has become an elitist. Fame, money and power causes successful BLACK MEN to want to forget where they came from. Frankly, I think his remarks are disgraceful and he's a disappointment. 12 Years A Slave is just as powerful as Schindler's List.

November 17, 2013 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rufus Bogart

I am a Jewish man who has never seen Schindler's List. I do not go to see Holocaust movies. It is NOT because I am an elitist. It is for the exact reason stated by Mr. Freeman. I know the history and simply do not want to subject myself to the pain of reliving it. I do however believe that these kinds of movies should be made and seen by anyone not familiar with the events depicted.

November 18, 2013 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • reldra

This small blurb was taken out of a much longer interview with The Daily Beast, where he was asked this question and why. It's not like he had a press conference to announce he wasn't seeing the movie.

November 20, 2013 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. mark edwards

I have heard Morgan Freeman talk and he is a very very racist person. Usually the ones that cry racism are the ones that are the biggest offenders, true in this case.

November 12, 2013 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • newdouglitas

Could you please elaborate on how Morgan Freeman is a racist? Maybe with some evidence? That's quite an accusation and I'd like to see you back it up.

November 19, 2013 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  13. EP 403 FORBIDDEN ON THIS MACHINE...THANKS

November 12, 2013 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  14. mary dieckow

Seen the movie, thought it was good. Personally i think all kids today need to see the film so they can understand the brutality of slavery, since they do not teach much history in schools today!

November 12, 2013 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • nan

Our young people are visually oriented and text books seldom delve into the role of slavery in this country. I think this work is extremely valuable.I understand Mr. Freeman's agony when you see how we were treated in this country. That is the reality of how this country was built. Free Labor.

November 15, 2013 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Cold Sun

The only slave movie I want to see is the Legend of Nat Turner! Now that would be a good slave movie!

November 12, 2013 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  16. Tom

Worst movie I have ever seen. The plot is man stands up, he is beaten. Man sits down,
    he is beaten and this goes on for over an hour. Avoid this movie like the plague.

November 8, 2013 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim in PA

Tom – The summary you give of this movie could also be used interchangeably to describe Passion of the Christ. Or Rocky. Oversimplifying things tends to have that result.

November 11, 2013 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • DEAL WITH IT

Um, you have the problem with the "PLOT"? You DO realize the movie is based on true events, right? That's what the guy actually went through. You can't make a historical film if you're not going to include real events just because they are unpleasant to watch. If that were true, movies like 12 Years A Slave, Schindler's List, etc would be 3 minute films.

November 17, 2013 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  17. comene

Morgan Freeman, a great actor, who in real life is just another racist. See his racist comments touted by media fairly frequently – most recently – his racist comments about Obama...

November 8, 2013 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

I agree with you, sadly. I've always thought he was (well, he still is) a great actor, but the more he opens his mouth for his personal views, just like Jamie Foxx and others, you see how very racist they are. Sadly so.

November 11, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • mulehead

A racist? you are clearly ignorant of the facts. Morgan Freeman is the furthest thing from a racist, and is a genuine treasure. A freethinking human that chooses to limit what he watches – simple as that. Go away…you bring nothing intelligent to the conversation.

November 12, 2013 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

Morgan Freeman, a black man, is racist because he disagrees with Obama, did I get that right?

November 15, 2013 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • ...the Tank Engine

*TOOT *TOOT

November 15, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • RL

I too disagree with President Obama and I'm black as tar, does that make me a racist? Moreover, I think Obama is an abomination to the presidential office. He's a chamelon in "black face." A lot of Black Americans are fooled by his shannigans, but I and many others aren't.

November 17, 2013 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Nathan

That is the difference between my people, African Americans and the Jews. The Jews will make sure everyone sees this movie and use it as a motivational tool to make sure it never happens again by stressing education and self economic preservation. Morgan Freeman is just worried about getting angry and punching someone in the face. I'm sure the watered down version he claims to have seenon TV did not depict the true brutality of that era thus leaving an impression that difficult to remember. I know I never saw the version he was talking about

November 8, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barry

I completely get what he's saying. As a man, he has the right to pick and choose which media he wishes to consume. He is clearly aware that this film, whether good or bad, will be upsetting to him. It is clearly not breaking any new ground for him, so why go through the aggravation? We all have the right to self-censor. Maybe we should utilize this right more frequently.

November 10, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  19. 1865

How about a movie about the countless men who died to set the black man free? A lot of them were white. Many of them, like three of my ancestors, never met the people they freed. They didn't live long enough. HOW ABOUT THAT FRICKING MOVIE, huh? You guys want history, there's your history.
    See how this game can be played by all sides? Looking to the past and drawing direct correlations to your life, your times, and your issues, by focusing on the most self-serving of those events, only seeks to put you in the place you wish to escape - that of the victim. It's pathetic. A self-fulfilling death spiral, played out time and time again on posts like this and in the inner city.
    Something to think about, for your kids' and grandkids' sake.

November 7, 2013 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • mark

wow that's not very intelligent. looking at your past with reverence, respect, and honor makes you a victim? it's self-serving to watch a movie, read a book about or remember a time when you weren't free? it's exactly what you need to do to focus on the fact that you're very special and it keeps you from becoming a thug. if you know what your people overcame to be free and educated, you will unite and do whatever you could to show the world that you intend to be free and be educated. it's nature vs. nurture. if youre never taught anything about where you came from and what youre supposed to be about, then you cant display that in your daily life. and the movie youre thinking of for the whites that freed blacks is EVERY FREAKING CIVIL WAR MOVIE EVER MADE.

November 8, 2013 at 5:46 am | Report abuse |
    • nathan

You ignorant fool. There have been countless movies and countless mini series about the civil war that were centered on the white people as the main characters. These are stories that should be told. If you can't handle the history of this country perhaps you should ask yourself why. Look at how many years it took to recognize the Black 54th regiment in the movie Glory. I bet you never heard of them until that movie if you even watched it. I suggest the next time you're repulsed by a movie depicting the true history of America you put on D.W. Griffith's Birth Of a Nation. I will ganrantee that it would be more to our likeing.

November 8, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • zr1100c3

What about every movie about the Civil War that's ever been made?

November 8, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Kre8tive

I agree. I refuse to go see it, buy it or watch it! Is enough! We need more positive movies that reflect the culture.
    Why do we need to review this type of movie over and over again.

November 7, 2013 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • mark

this is why morgan shouldn't have said what he said. he gave people an opportunity to say don't watch black history movies. who said this movie wasn't a positive influence on the world in general? I used to give a handout called life of a slave to my students and its what Solomon northup recalled about his life on a louisiana plantation. my students learned about what slaves ate and how they lived and how long they had to work right before we watched Roots. now you tell me how is this harmful to black students?

November 8, 2013 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  21. sk homess dk

Get the ip

November 7, 2013 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  22. mark george

I love morgan freeman and have used several of his movies in my black history classes. He is correct in saying that it's difficult to keep seeing the themes of racism, slavery and segregation without getting mad all over again. it's particularly gut-wrenching at times but this movie is not for him or a black history expert like skip gates or myself. this movie is for the kids and students as we attempt to wake them up from a self-imposed malaise and technologically-saturated stupor. we want them to stop looking down at their phones and video games long enough to understand the sacrifices, hardships and struggles of those who came before them. if they can get to the point of exhaustion and not wanting to get angry all over again at what slavery did to black people, then we have succeeded.

but alas it begins at home with the parents and an extended families teaching what they know about the struggle and telling their kids why it's important to know your history. our 20 year olds are so violent and angry these days wanting to act like thugs and for what? why do they all run out and get guns when they enter high school? are they all being bullied to the point of self-defense? a good black history education is vital to the safety and security of our nation. once our students realize that they are literally in the same boat as their fellow man, that some people want them to fail even today, and that their future is tied to the understanding of their ancestors they will inevitably rise. it Is a great pleasure to learn all that I can about black history and teaching it is my duty and my honor. yes morgan freeman said that line in lean on me...that's the first movie I show at the beginning of each year and administrators in the schools HATE IT!

November 6, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • chiniquy

I agree with you 100%.

November 7, 2013 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Dee

I use to like Morgan Freeman until he started having relations with his granddaughter, now I can't stomach him... who cares what he thinks? I will watch this movie and require my boys to watch becuase if you don't learn your history you are subject to repeat it ....

November 7, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Behjat

Those of us who are not African American cannot possibly understand why Morgen Freeman doesn't want to watch a movie that showers how his people were treated by white slave owners. Why should he torture himself ? I think white people should see this motion picture so they don't forget how horribly they treated another race, because they didn't have blue eyes and white skin.

November 6, 2013 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Halo

I refuse to be limited by your assessment of my powers of understanding.

November 6, 2013 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Josh Majka

I'm white and I never owned a slave. In fact, I've never meet a slave owner either. My family came to the US in the 1920's, well after slavery was outlawed. Am I still required to see this?

November 6, 2013 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Elder

I realize this is a difficult concept for nitwits to grasp, particularly those who failed basic courses in U.S. history and government, but here we go again: America is a free country, Josh, there are no laws requiring you to view certain movies, or any movies for that matter. You still have freedom of choice. You are also free to remain an uneducated, bigoted moron, if you so choose. Ain't America great?

November 6, 2013 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Tanya M.

Well, @Josh Majka, you are not "required" to see anything. Nobody is, especially when it comes to forms of entertainment. I will say that I always find it interesting when a persons first response is "my people (or I) didn't do it", "my people (or I was) were not here", etc. YOU were not accused. If you are not the guilty party, then please feel free to go forward with your life and not comment. You might be the person who first says "it wasn't me!" when people in a room says something smells bad. Don't always feel like you're being blamed. YOU sir/maam, are not.

November 6, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • chiniquy

To Josh Majka.

You and your family benefited from the legacy of slavery. The wealth that America amassed during the years of slavery, was one of the main reasons why many immigrants came here in the late 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century. Every time you look at those beautiful buildings in Washington D.C, like the white house and the Capitol, remember that they were built by slave labour.

November 7, 2013 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

You say that white people should see this movie to remember how badly they treated another race. I was under the impression that all the slave owners are dead. As I am a white man, can you point out the black people that I mistreated?

November 15, 2013 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  24. Pierce

Don't watch it, Morgan.
    The same way I won't watch your gotta-be-silly "Last Vegas."

November 4, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rukmini

Um, Pierce? That's what Morgan WAS saying... that he wasn't going to watch it. He didn't announce it, he was answering a stupid question.

November 5, 2013 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  25. What a disgrace...

I have never experienced that behavior in my entire life.

November 4, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  26. GM Riley

Why is the actor for Driving Mrs. Daisy the authority on films? Why are we asking his opinion? Who is he speaking for besides himself? Incidentally, I see a MAJOR conversation on race relations in the 21st century when I thought this post was about Freeman's opinion like ANYONE really CARED...

November 4, 2013 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  27. Dex

"Things are bad enough as they are. I don’t want to keep punching myself in the face with it."

What a cop-out. Slavery happened, it was brutally unjust and it's a history that Americans shouldn't cower from. Perhaps Freeman would be happier if movie-goers just continued lapping up trivial fare such as his latest film. That way, everyone can continue to remain ignorant of their history, yet happy.

November 2, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary Benedict

I'm trying to clarify something. Do you think Morgan Freeman was telling other people not to see the movie, instead of just saying he didn't think it was the right thing to see, himself? Second, do you feel that Freeman is morally obligated in some way to see the movie? Do you feel he is too out of touch with his African-American background, or that he will be less sympathetic to nonwhite causes if he does not see the film? I'm just trying to understand.

November 2, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • vic

Did u have fun today? Stfu

November 2, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elaine

He was asked his opinion. Its his perogitive not to watch it and be upset by it. You watch what you want no one forces you to watch anything. Don't you?

November 5, 2013 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  28. judymooreperez

We all know how bad things were at that time, for black people, jewish people, american natives and especially children. I do not want to spend two hours being tortured in the few hours of spare time I have watching a human being being abused. We all know it was wrong...please give us movies that inspire us to be better, do better and give our children hope for a better future.

November 2, 2013 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Schmoogalicious

Judy, why do you believe 12 Years A Slave won't inspire you to be better, do better, and give your children hope for a better future?

November 3, 2013 at 4:33 am | Report abuse |
  29. Dave

Of course this movie will win lots of awards just like Broke Back Mountain. Hollywood loves the liberal agenda and white hatred is part of it

November 1, 2013 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Not All Docs Play Golf

Dave....take a deep breath. Go do something relaxing today. Maybe go to your gun range.

November 1, 2013 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • JellyBean

I am so wrong for laughing at "Liberal agenda? Really?"

November 1, 2013 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • proudliberalmjq

You mention "hate" in your comment….the only person spreading hate is you. I am proud not to hate people for no reason. "Liberal agenda"????? It is my opinion that it is people like you that have an agenda and want to change this country into a country where hate rules ……..I hope that never happens….that is what will destroy our country.

November 1, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

I get sick of people making everything political. The movie is historical but it should not be made because it somehow offends your politics? Give me a break.

November 1, 2013 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Schmoogalicious

Interesting. So the history of our country is actually a liberal agenda?

November 3, 2013 at 4:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Cleo1205

Dave, what does "white hatred" have to do with the movie "Brokeback Mountain"? That's just a silly thing to write.

November 4, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim in PA

Abolition is "The LIberal Agenda"? Yeah, if you live in 1862.

November 11, 2013 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  30. victor

The Irish were treated much worse than the blacks in America. I think those blacks owe anyone of Irish descent reparations.

October 31, 2013 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • med123

Yes, I do agree that the Irish were mistreated. However, unless there is a media conspiracy out there, I have never heard Irish people being lynched simply for being Irish.

October 31, 2013 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • O'Malley

BTW...When were the Irish slaves in America? (Indentured Servants were not slaves.) When were Irish children sold as property? When were the Irish brought to this country by force? When were the Irish considered 2/3 human? When were the Irish routinely executed (lynched) without the benefit of any trial?

October 31, 2013 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Huh

The Irish where slaves because of DEBTS, not because of their skin color and language. The Irish weren't jam packed into boats like sardines and shipped thousands of miles from their home. The Irish didn't suffer for 500+ years.

November 1, 2013 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

Regarding Irish Slaves: http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-irish-slave-trade-the-forgotten-white-slaves

November 1, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary Benedict

As an Irish American myself I feel no need to compete with African-Americans for "who was treated worse." Some Irish workers were treated worse than some slaves because they were considered to be less valuable. That does not mean that over the entire history of the United States, Irish Americans have had it worse than black Americans. I daresay it's been many decades since anyone was denied employment or housing for having "Mc" "O" or "Fitz" before his or her name.

November 2, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary Benedict

White people were sold and bought as slaves during the slave trade era. I don't think there were literal white slaves in the United States (tho indentured servitude is a form of temporary slavery) but the British Empire sold Irish people to work as slaves in the Caribbean. BTW this topic is dealt with in the movie Captain Blood starring Errol Flynn as an Irish slave turned pirate.

November 2, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • dsangiovanni

You certainly are wrong in what you say. Try to look into history. They do not bring to America Irish people in chains nor they were drown in chains on their way here. Irish people did not get their master last name. Do you know why Malcolm X refuse to have a last name ?... Try to read history my friend. You do not know what you are talking about..

November 6, 2013 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • John Ashton

Victor, you didn't learn a damn thing in your history class.

November 6, 2013 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Tim

I felt the same way when I watched Spartacus and saw my german ancestors enslaved and forced to fight in the arena to live and one day seek freedom if they aren't killed first. Those evil Romans. Even though none of them are alive anymore, I'll blame the Italians instead for their ancestors wrongdoings.

October 31, 2013 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Vinnie

Too bad the Romans didn't fry those proto-Germans when they had the chance. Think how much better the 20th century would have been without those nasty Germans.

October 31, 2013 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrBigStuff

My mother's side is 100% Scottish and I get SO MAD when I watch Braveheart that I've decided to hate every person of English descent in this country. And since a huge portion of the population is of English descent, including me, I've decided to hate everyone, including myself! I'm also demanding reparations from approximately 1/2 of the American people including half of myself.

November 4, 2013 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  32. retief1954

The man just doesn't want to see the movie! You get to a certain age, you've earned that right. He's under no obligation to see it because of the topic. Let him be.

October 31, 2013 at 3:55 am | Report abuse |
    • ginamero

He's also not under any obligation to comment on it either...but he did so he has invited this conversation...Let us be.

October 31, 2013 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Mary Benedict

And since you have had the conversation, you have invited people to respond to your conversation. So there's no reason to "let you be."

November 2, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  33. The Online Footprint

OMG my sentiments exactly. I honestly can't take it anymore. I saw the Butler and needed 2 days to be happy again. I will not dare see 12 years a slave. I am well versed and would rather deal with the problems of 2013 which do not happen to include African slavery.

October 30, 2013 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Taco

I don't understand why the Butler would make you angry? It's a historical account. Did things happen back then that those people should be ashamed of? Absolutely. A lot of horrible things have happened in history...learning about them shouldn't make you upset for days...it's water under the bridge...

October 30, 2013 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • ginamero

So only African slavery makes you angry? Grow your mind. Slavery exists to this day and the fact that you care so much about something that ended legally in 1865 and yet could care less about the young women and children afflicted with it today says alot about you. Just because the term was changed to 'human trafficking' to placate the likes of Rev. Al does not mean it's over.

October 31, 2013 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Melissa

I think Taco and ginamero are losers

October 31, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

The Butler was just another white hatred film not based on fact but an agenda. This has already been proven

November 1, 2013 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  34. AverageJoe76

I understand where Morgan is coming from. But ignoring it will not help.

October 30, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  35. RJ

That's a shame. It is such a great movie. I paid $12.50 to see incredible actors of all races portray complex characters. The movie showed all the horrible things we know about slavery but it also did a great job of showing how slavery itself impacted EVERYBODY. Yes, what was done to my ancestors was atrocious but their masters had their own self inflicted scars too. This is the first movie that helped me see that. It's a shame a fellow African American will turn away and not look at it.

October 29, 2013 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
    • dsangiovanni

He has the right to do whatever he wants to do. Should not be a shame. That's his right.

November 6, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  36. dreeves

we are all salves to the tax man anyway so why linger on the old south. None of those people are still lingering around, i dont think. Lets talk about the slave state the federal government wanted in texas. split texas in half and make west texas a large penal colony. the state said no and said it would split from the union to stop it. think about that

October 29, 2013 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Really?

We are all soothing, medicinal ointments for healing or relieving wounds or sores (salves) to the tax man?

October 29, 2013 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  37. Brad Richmond

While I understand Mr.Freeman's heasitation in wanting to fan flames of what may be lingering disturbing images of slavery.
    And those that persisted through out the Jim Crow era. A time not so distant from his youth growing up in the south. While coming of age in the late 40s and early 50s, as witness to white southerner acts of terror against their black neighbors in opposition to the civil rights movement, hearing of or being a witness to bombings of churches or the hanging or assignation of some black or white activist.And feeling such rage at the way thing were.
    That seeing it on the big screen can be as emotionally draining and aggravating now as it was in the past!

But Mr.Freeman if you can muster the strength of will to see this film and view it as the theatrical work that it is.And separate from yourself the personal displeasure of the depiction of the horrors of slavery and see the characters in the light of their will to survive, and know that the hatred and those horrors of the passed were thwarted by the smarts and determination of many slaves of that time and know to that we have come a very long way.
    Even though there are still vestiges of evil thinking men that exist today!
    And know that, We Have Overcome!

October 28, 2013 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Raj

I am so SICK of american movies depicting the old south with white masters and black slaves...ENOUGH already...its so overdone

October 28, 2013 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dude

Yeah, how about showing the good side of the old south? Like black people not being forced to serve white people. Oh wait, that did not happen. But, they could show white people treating black people with respect. No, that didn't happen either. I know, show how human dignity was honored in all people regardless of skin color. Oops, didn't happen either.

Might as well show black and white people in the old south manning a star ship that collects monopoles from the surface of a neutron star. That is as close to the truth as you are going to get in a movie about the old south where black people are not being beaten and abused.

October 29, 2013 at 6:03 am | Report abuse |
    • darth cheney

Um, well, the Old South WAS pretty much white masters and black slaves. Maybe you'll get lucky and someone will make a movie with green masters and purple slaves, or something.

October 31, 2013 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  39. gerri

I have no respect for him messing with his granddaughter, it started when she was 16. He is a maggot

October 28, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Whaddya expect?

Yet another dipsh!t Tea Bagger. Do a Google search of 'Morgan Freeman step-granddaughter', ya moron.

October 28, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • emrdrd

The rumor about Freeman was started by someone who wanted to see if it would circulate on the internet and it sure has. And the sad thing is, people assume it's true.

October 29, 2013 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Thinker...

Well of course it's true! It's on the internet after all!

October 31, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Internet

I am not a fan of the internet since I found out how too cause chaos and confusion. Its not as challenging as it use too be.

October 31, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  40. G

"Why Morgan Freeman won't be seeing '12 Years A Slave'"
    Because he's old enough to remember being one?;)

October 28, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  41. lili

I am glad that Morgan Freeman is not afraid to say what he says. And I completely get what he means, why watch something that will only make you angrier?

October 28, 2013 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  42. Lapisdreams

I have always admired Mr. Freeman for his grace, dignity, and impecability. He's one of the geatest actors and human beings I have seen in a long time.

October 27, 2013 at 3:13 am | Report abuse |
  43. M.A.P.

wonderful man and actor

October 26, 2013 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Morgan Freeman

is one of the greatest actors of all time...black or white...he is a star. He will always be a star. His has done tons of work in the industry. He has sold close to a billion dollars in movie ticket sales and respected by everyone. I like this man and will watch all his movies because he is a 4 star actor.

October 26, 2013 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  45. bob_in_ny

I enjoy and respect the works of Morgan Freeman. He is a fine actor who performs well in both comedy and drama arenas, exactly because he is a fine actor, and a personable human being. If he is not anxious to see this period piece, so be it. I respect his freedom to choose, and I hope this movie does well. I saw the trailers and want to see this for myself. Movies such as this, The Butler and The Help, while fine movies, may touch on subjects that he would rather not revisit, and enjoy some different fare better, like his movie RED, with Bruce Willis. We all have our preferences.

October 25, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Morgan Freeman

is one of the greatest actors in history and we need too respect him. There is nothing wrong with the actor and i find him an example to young people heading into the acting business. He remains friends with his "Electric Company" cast..which was a children's show years ago. The guy is real he's not fake....he hangs with clint eastwood and then another day he's having lunch with the Electric Company cast members.... I like him.

October 25, 2013 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  47. rTravis

Hey, how'd I get on this Klan forum.

October 25, 2013 at 3:38 am | Report abuse |
  48. Islavenomore

But he stars in driving Ms Daisy!

October 25, 2013 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
  49. RB

Oh, I see.....Morgan Freeman didn't get a role in the movie so he hates it! I get it.

October 25, 2013 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  50. Rand Paul

It’s interesting how brave and ignorant people are. They will say anything under an alias. What’s more, these people are cowards with small minds, vocabularies and value themselves more than they are worth. (Which is not much)
    It does not surprise me that people who posted these silly things share the same characteristic. None would dare say what they post in a public arena where they can be seen and recognized. Keep hiding little boys and girls. I can respect a racist because at least they are who they are and it's not hidden. But I have nothing but contempt for loathsome individuals who make comments under the guise of a silly alias. Yes you. Have fun posting after you read this. I wont see it and nor do I care.

October 24, 2013 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  51. NiceMan

Morgan Freeman is one of the greatest actors of all time...Everyone loves him....

October 24, 2013 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • RomyMon

Not me. Not anymore,after he followed the lead of Colin Powell and endorsed Barack Hussein Obama! I really never thought much of Colin Powell who came to prominence only because of political correctness. He never made it to West Point. He graduated from an obscure New York City college, then joined the Army through that college's ROTC program. But Morgan Freeman is a smart guy, like Denzel Washington, and so great was my disappointment when he defended Obama's un-presidential shenanigans. How could anyone so smart not see and condemn the gross incompetence of that Kenyan fraud!t. Ask Bill Cosby about Obama and you'll get the right answers! And I bet you Cosby will see that movie!

October 30, 2013 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
  52. RockNrollRefUg

Morgan Freeman is an inflated moron. Ignorant as the rest, just with a larger ego. And we are stupid just to give him credence because of the baritone of his voice.

October 24, 2013 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  53. the lobs

I love that actor hes hot

October 24, 2013 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Cold Sun

I agree with him. The only slave movie I want to see is the Legend of Nat Turner, We have done the Slave movie thing too many times.

October 24, 2013 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dr E

Amen to that! I hope McQueen makes that one next, I'll be FRONT & CENTER!!

October 25, 2013 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Simon Abromowicz

Although the Emancipation Proclamation occurred over 150 years ago, and the Civil Rights Act passed over fifty years ago, Holywood still must make wh ite guilt movies to correctly indoctrinate those with money to redistribute it to the downtrodden minorities. PAY YOUR FAIR SHARE!

October 25, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • @great

W t.f.is the matter with you? You're a stupid idiot

October 25, 2013 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • tessie may

Is it going to be called that? The book-which my mom gave me when I was about 10-was called The confessions of Nat Turner. Either way, a great book.

October 29, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • GM Riley

The Autobiography of Jane Pittman, Rosewood, etc. were excellent depictions( actually both were true stories ) of that era. Movie like Django that cast a talented Jamie Fox in Aviator sunglasses and a perm hairstyle NO!!!!

November 4, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  55. That black thing...

give it up already-that never worked because everyone knows her. its the same redundant material that nobody cares about anymore.

October 25, 2013 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  56. bob_in_ny

I thought that "The Butler", Oprah's most recent movie was terrific, but not for Oprah's part. Forrest Whitaker is one of my favorite actors, and his evolution from a small boy through manhood in the role of manservant, and butler was spot on perfect. He reflected the distance required from the guests, while keeping those guests' needs the absolute focus of his attention, despite personal feelings to the contrary, at times. It struck me with the same sense of pride in one's duty as Sir Anthony Hopkins' take on the butlers' responsibility in "Remains of the Day." I suspect that the subject matter is what turned off some to the movie, rather than the performances. That can temper one's appreciation of a fine film.

I especially enjoyed the scene where the Butler's son was speaking with MLK Jr. concerning his father's profession, which the son was ashamed of, but which the activist praised, and revealed the merit and value to Civil Rights. Forrest Whitaker's performance was a far cry different from the perspective portrayed by Samuel L Jackson's take on the manservant in "Django Unchained", set some years earlier.

October 25, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Um

Get real. Your people own everything. And complain to everyone to respect their holocaust. In the meantime, our school systems are purposefully underfunded. Our inventions and money for them were stolen. And we are still getting killing for walking while black. Shut up.

October 26, 2013 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  58. John

Though, of course, everything about your comment is either racist or ignorant, your most amusing line is the tired, overdone, and cliched whine about how "unoriginal" Hollywood is. Talk about unoriginal. How ironic.

October 26, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  59. tired of yer krap

Bogus. Name-stealer troll

October 28, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  60. ^ mouth fulla krap ^

Eat it, you sycophant.

October 28, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  61. plokij

I'm thinking about getting a lower back tattoo indicating that my a n u s is both an exit and a point of entry.

October 28, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Why did the Rand Paul, Michelle Bachman and Sarah Palin cross the road?

See above - they are Tea Baggers.

October 28, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Truth hurts, doesn't it?

Conservatard azzhole.

October 28, 2013 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  64. joey

What inventions? Everything around you...flight...planes, and space travel (including landing on the moon), electricity, telephones, watches, the instruments used in the music you love (is all done with instruments invented by white people)..in other words everything including the shoe you're wearing...all invented by the white race. So, I ask you again what invetions?

October 28, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Um...ok, Joey -- whatever you aay

I'm wearing sandals right now, foot wear that's been around since the dawn of time. Are you sure those were invented by white people? I'm guessing not.

October 28, 2013 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  66. S baldwin

wow my fine feathered friend you most certainly did not do your homework, you do nto knwo who invented what as it is or was nt always spoken openly however if you dig a little you may have to eat some of ypour words, watches, electricity, phones, planes (idea came from who & first attempt to fly was not a white man nor a black man but another man of color way back in time, watches was a black man but teh credit was taken away the saem as the phone work, wjat is important is that more than one race was involved in most inventions but some seem to think that white is all that exists, guess you have not looked around you lately to see who the minority is becoming but the difference is that people of color will not go backward but show respect and allow to live and let live unless you rock the boat then your own will denounce you idiot, why? no one wants to be around ignorance and ignorance has no color and you proved this fact when you typed your comment for everyone except those who cannot think for themselves and one more thing, you are the one who seems to be complaining also about your due, your desires, your this or that and we just smile and say look at the pot calling the kettle black and lest I forget cousin if you check your DNA you will hahve a surprise from way back, helloooooo, have a good evening and & all that. PFW- passing for white – as most sem to try to say, DNA threw that out the window. Yes.

October 29, 2013 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  67. dsangiovanni

You certainly are an ignorant.. Do you know that A/C was invented for a Black guy?

November 6, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Joe

No. Now please go sit in the corner, little troll, and STFU.

October 29, 2013 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  69. puddin is a tasty treat

and not at all racist unless you prefer vanilla and hate chocolate puddin.

October 29, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Them's A cups, pardner

Here's something even better

( o )( o )

October 29, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  71. MyTwoCents

Only a small percentage of Southerners were wealthy enough to own plantations and large numbers of slaves to work them. Even when you add the less wealthy slave owners who were not part of the plantation aristocracy, the percentage of the free population that owned slaves was not large. Not all southern whites believed slavery was right, and not all southern whites agreed with the Jim Crow laws. In fact, many fought against it. Many (including some of my distant relatives) fought against their own family members in the Civil War because they knew it was wrong.

October 29, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Joanie

You do realize that they first humans were black, don't you, and that white skin was a mutation from that original dark skin tone? Or are you just another one of those inbred ingrate racist rednecks?

October 31, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Fonzie

You do realized that white people left Africa and evolved and adapted while blacks stayed behind and devolved.

October 31, 2013 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Potsie

Sit on it.

October 31, 2013 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  75. troll buster

Sorry, dude. I took the spammer trolls out. Don't you know better than to feed the trolls anyway?

October 31, 2013 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  76. But, it's fun to tease that troll

She is so fkiny whiny and stupid...

October 31, 2013 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  77. @Troll Buster

Why don't you do something about namkoS/Sokman and all the other filthy racists who pollute the blog?

October 31, 2013 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  78. troll buster

I find racial comments offensive myself. I am a friend to all. I can't in good conscience delete a real comment, unless a lot of ppl ask me to do it. I take out the dating sites, and the spammer troll. They contribute absolutely nothing to the blog, and are an irritant to all. Again, I do not approve of the racial crap, but I don't want to moderate a real post. Where do I set the standards on who stays and who goes?

October 31, 2013 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Jim

Wow! The guy you were answering might be an idiot (I didn't read what he wrote), but your response about the first humans, etc. was ignorant, moronic and seriously, just plain stupid. Oh, yeah, and racist, to boot.

November 11, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |