Miley speaks on Liam Hemsworth breakup
October 11th, 2013

Miley speaks on Liam Hemsworth breakup

Now that she's no longer engaged, Miley Cyrus is basking in her freedom.

The 20-year-old spoke frankly about her split from actor Liam Hemsworth on "Ellen" Thursday, and from the sound of it, the "Wrecking Ball" singer has few, if any, regrets. Host Ellen DeGeneres, on the other hand, might have a tiny one:

"The last time you were here, I threw you an engagement party," DeGeneres jokingly told Cyrus, adding, "I want my money back."

Cyrus gamely opened up on the recent breakup, saying "it's not really awkward" to be moving forward with her new album in the midst of upheaval in her personal life.

"I think people spend more time actually thinking about it than I really do," she said. "I just believe that when a chapter is done you have to close it and start that new one, and that's kind of where I am right now. I felt like I have so much to be thankful for that my energy hasn't really been focused on that."

Yet if you listen to her new album, "Bangerz," you'll find that Cyrus has been pouring a lot of her thoughts and emotions on that past relationship into her music.

"The whole album is a story of that, starting with 'Adore You' and ending with 'Someone Else,'" she told DeGeneres. "I didn't even know how much (until I listened to a physical copy) ... this really is telling a story. I think I knew more intuitively where my life was going than I actually thought I did at the time."

Cyrus and Hemsworth dated on-and-off after they met on the set of their 2010 movie, "The Last Song." In June 2012, Cyrus and Hemsworth revealed that they were engaged, but in the year that followed Cyrus not only shed her "Hannah Montana" image, but she seemed to shed their romance, too. By the time they confirmed the wedding was off in September, the news followed months of rumors that their relationship had turned rocky.

In its aftermath, Cyrus has been laser-focused on her music, but the outcome has been worth it. Finally, the singer/actress said, she's learned to be content with just herself.

"For me, I haven't really gotten to see anyone right now because I've been so crazy busy. I've just been letting that chapter kind of close and just looking forward to that new one," she said. "I want to be really clear and determined with everything that I'm doing in my life right now, and I have been. I keep saying I'm the happiest I've ever been, and that's not even a dig, that's just because I really am genuinely happy, finally, with myself."

The single life has given the star another added bonus: the luxury of a few extra minutes of free time, which she's been using to soak up inspiration from those around her.

"Sometimes it takes you separating yourself from someone else to really be happy with who you are," Cyrus said. "I've never been able just to be alone, and (now) I'm obsessed with being alone. I've asked everyone that is around me, give me a list of your favorite movies, your favorite books, your favorite artists, just so I can know more about the few people that I do have in my life, and really know about them and really see what they're inspired by. ... I'm trying to take this alone time to learn as much as I can."

Filed under: Celebrities • Miley Cyrus • Music

1. khire talley

did she turn into a freak ? i guess so , i would go with her .

October 22, 2013 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sean Connery

who is the 12 year old boy wearing the bra?

October 21, 2013 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  3. All Hacks completed---week ending 10/19

thanks

October 19, 2013 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Print

file

October 19, 2013 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Miley Cyrus

During the day, mild mannered Justin Beiber. But at night. I'm "The Black Hole"

October 19, 2013 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. MILEY WINS..TIPS FOR HACKERS

1. make sure she is not connected too the greatest technology in the united states of America.
    2. make sure she is not capable of tracking ip addresses
    3. make sure the person does not deal with equipment that is number 2 in the country next too ncis.
    4. your not my boyfriend.
    5. make sure she does not have a nosey reporter cousin in the California area.

October 18, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joe

If Obama had a teenage wh0re...she'd look like Miley

October 16, 2013 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  8. bvnvbmnrtu568

xcbxcb

October 15, 2013 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Anon

Cnn, the picture with this article shows a young woman in what looks like a training bra, with a stuffed animal in the background. It's kind of icky.

October 15, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Meh

...in a bra...stay classy

October 15, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Johnny 5

Miley looks like that Bieber chick but with bigger boobs and a 90's style skater cut. A Mileiberstein monster.

October 15, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. JellyBean

I'm so sick of seeing her ugly snout in the media.

October 14, 2013 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Liam Hemsworth

That's why I broke up with her. That and her bad breath and her refusal to wear clothes. Also, I'm gay.

October 14, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • alucarD

I got tired of her coming over with her daddy's jlzz up her back

October 21, 2013 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  13. Captain Underpants

He was smart for cutting the nutjob loose.

October 13, 2013 at 4:27 am | Report abuse |
  14. Louisa

The stories make my day.

October 12, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. dana

you got Guys crack me up
    the only good thing about CNN stories the comments you guys leave

October 12, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Name*garth

She is butt ugly and way past her ten minutes of fame.

October 12, 2013 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  17. Micheng

With the way Miley Cyrus speaks now, she gain my respect! Shes so smart although I am not really happy with the way shes showing herself. But I am happy that she move on from her past. Go Miley and move forward!

October 11, 2013 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Ahhh Sheit Midrauers

Liam dodge a bullet. I hope he got himself tested

October 11, 2013 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Name*Iris Delgado

Miley most people been there done that and press forward.. stop acting and behaving so foolish so immature do meaningful things with your idol wasted time go feed the homeless or help poor women find a job a home learn to read do meaningful things with your vain life stop encouraging young women to use Molly get used and waste their temp lives.. leave a healthy legacy for all those young people women who look up to you !!!

October 11, 2013 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  20. troll buster

Gotcha! Oh wait. Missed again. Drat!

October 11, 2013 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  21. George Clooney

OK,she's moving to RT NC. She's deciding at which point whether to warp Coach Roy or Coach KKK as well as his respective court. Of course,that's before she starts warping.

October 11, 2013 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  22. TayCheyRob

I know that people don't like her. I miss the old her, but I miss a lot of things. Just because you want a big dump on her just shows how immature you are. She might act and look dumb half of the time, but she's wiser than you are. She always had to play the good little girl. She's just letting go. I bet in a year or two she will calm down. So just leave her alone.

October 11, 2013 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  23. idunno30303

There it is CNN. I was getting worried you would miss your daily Miley Cyrus article

October 11, 2013 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  24. jy

And I'm sure he's equally happy with much prettier and less erratic and trashy woman.

October 11, 2013 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  25. joek

I bet she has bad breath all the time and nobody is brave enough to tell her.

October 11, 2013 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  26. deutsche001

For a 20 year old she is very smart. People need to stop whining about her; she is young and finding her way. She has more money than most of us will ever see and if you don't like her, just don't read about her or listen to her music.

October 11, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  27. valgard

Shut up hacker

October 11, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Alvarez

Sounds good – let's give it a try. But first, brush up on your spelling genius.

October 11, 2013 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Bubba

Come closer and I will whomp you with a shovel and throw you down under the outhouse where you will get your fill of poop, you nasty phucker.

October 11, 2013 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Bubba

You are not funny. You are nasty and we are all tired of your stupid attempts at humor. You and the Insult Comic Dog should get together and fling poo at each other til you both die from e. coli infection.

October 12, 2013 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
  31. Mrs. Alvarez

Mr. Bubba, please excuse my son's behavior. He's been like this ever since those bullies trapped him in a porta-potty and rolled it down a hill. All he thinks about is poop. We've tried counseling and electroshock therapy, but nothing seems to help.

October 12, 2013 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  32. *

You and your lame azz bowel movement comments need to jump in the nearest sink hole and disappear off the face of the Earth.

October 14, 2013 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  33. @*

Lol

October 14, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  34. bvnvbmnrtu568

Unbelievable~~ My friend Kathy has just married to a handsome black man met through ♥ ♥ http://blackwhitehubdating.weebly.com/ ♥ == The best choice for you!. Here you will meet lots of inter`racial singles and find friendship, love, romance, marriage or even more . Over 1700000 active members from local and worldwide. Easy to search. Hope you will like it.xcb

October 15, 2013 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |