October 8th, 2013

'DWTS': Valerie Harper bids farewell

Valerie Harper went into the 17th season of "Dancing with the Stars" with one desire: to be an inspiration to viewers at home.

Although she didn't make it far in the competition, Harper can consider that a mission accomplished.

The 74-year-old actress joined the ABC series just months after announcing she had a rare medical condition where cancer cells from her lungs spread to the membranes near her brain.

At one point, she was told she may have only three months to live.

But Harper continues to survive and thrive, and her performances on "DWTS" have encouraged her competitors, the judges and fans across the country.

Unfortunately, her lack of dance technique and skill caught up to her on Monday night, and she became the third celebrity eliminated from this season.

Harper's elimination came after a cha-cha that earned an 18 from the judging panel, which included "DWTS" alum Julianne Hough subbing for Len Goodman. That score put Harper at the bottom of the leaderboard for a second straight week.

But Harper is leaving the show on a high note. "I never expected to go past the first elimination," she told CNN after the show. "I really didn’t, and here I am! I got to dance four times with this guy and proved some things to myself."

Do you think America got it right last night?

« Previous entry
  1. Maryanne Serfina calls, Serafina was thrown out...was too confim bimbo45..

you have too keep talking too confirm...if you know what I mean

October 11, 2013 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  2. Sue

She is pajamas at this very moment....please.

October 10, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rock

The girl in blue needs to accept my screwing of her backstage.

October 10, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Valerie

we always pray for you even though lost. give them h-ll rhoda

October 9, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Worst show on TV

Worst show on tv and nobody should be watching it any longer.

October 8, 2013 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • ed

Valerie harper is one beautiful classy woman and should be a inspiration to everybody battling any sickness maybe she wasn't the best dancer out there but you would be hard pressed to find someone with as much heart and desire to succeed as her and I think she danced better than a lot of other so called stars love you val and may god bless you

October 9, 2013 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
    • WORST SHOW ON TV

all the best too a real professional Valerie Harper. She has the charm and always will have it.

October 9, 2013 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  6. JRPActor

I am quite disappointed in all those who watch DANCING WITH THE STARS and have been affected by cancer WHO DID NOT VOTE. Was Valerie the BEST...maybe not. But, she wasn't the worst. I am a big fan of Valerie's and I tried to inspire my friends and family to vote; call in to vote, vote online...but people just can't be bothered anymore. Most people under the age of 30 have no idea who Valerie Harper is or who Rhoda was...which is quite sad. Why doesn't the public get to see the VOTE TALLIES? Now, with it being on only one day a week...people are calling in and voting for someone who won't be on the show next week. Never been a fan of the show and with Valerie's departure, it is one less show to record each week.

October 8, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lucygal

okay JRP, if Valerie wasnt' the worst, then who was? It was completely obvious she could not dance, or rather, could not focus. She did well during the time she was there, but her sympathy card ran out. I do like her, but again, it was obvious she just couldn't concentrate enough to go any further. Poor Tristan :-( I hope next season they pair him with someone who will go all the way!

October 11, 2013 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
    • 0584 is the bologna phone..

remember I was trained on Wall Street...we say and do anything to get a bimbo hack45....you also heard a conversations stating we function from other phones====Peace50

October 11, 2013 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  7. palintwit

I'd rather see Bristol Palin back on DWTS. She's one of the best !!

October 8, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Professor Knoitall

And you are one of the best reasons I have seen for not dropping babies on their heads. You truly are a twit.

October 9, 2013 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Shane

Go back to your tea party rally.

October 10, 2013 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  8. Trezenia

I adore Rhoda, and will keep her in my prayers. I do feel she just wasn't qualified to be on Dancing With The Stars,
    & knew from the start she wouldn't make it far. I really felt sorry for Tristan, he is a hero in my book, to take
    on the task of teaching a 74 year old woman with cancer to dance those super difficult routines. Money always
    plays a huge factor in these decisions. I love Dancing With the Stars!

October 8, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rhoda has funds...

and who cares as long as she remains alive that is the important thing.

October 8, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chaunceytanner

Valerie Harper just shows you life doesn't end unless you gives up. May she be blessed with many more wonderful full days and enjoy her family and friends everyday given. She has my thoughts and prayers.

October 8, 2013 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blondie

Thank you Chauncey for saying so beautifully what I would like to have said. God Bless this woman, who despite a deadly disease, chooses to live her life fully. May Valerie live to reach 100 years old and then some. Michele

October 8, 2013 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joe

Gee....spoiler alert CNN? Guess I'll just delete it off my PVR now.

October 8, 2013 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Sylvannia Television

It took about 20 minutes for VAL too fall on her face on the dance floor once again-Take care and Valerie you dance like a 53 year old. Rhoda fan forever.

October 8, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. mel

Valerie was amazing sad to see her leave the show

October 8, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. I love Valerie Harper...

I was sorry too see her leave.

October 8, 2013 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  14. jujubeans

What kind of loser feels the need to post all this gibberish?

October 8, 2013 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • JellyBean

I know, right? The mod bot spam that The Marquee allows here is ridiculous.

October 8, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pork N. Beane

And the stories about crap no one cares about.

October 9, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Agreed.

I adore Valerie. Please revive the Rhoda character one more time.

October 8, 2013 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  16. cvnnbmtyu568

Oh… Unbelievable…… My friend Kaly has just married to a handsome wealthy black man. They met through==♥ http://blackwhitehubdating.weebly.com/ . ♥The best choice for you!. It is he largest and most effective dating here you will meet lots of inter`racial singles and find friendship, love, romance, marriage or even more. Over 1700000 active members from local and worldwide. You can meet (lawyers,busy professionals, CEO,benefactors. models, celebrities, etc….). If you are single , Try a try.XCBXCB

October 11, 2013 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |