Kanye West and Twitter: A brief history
September 27th, 2013

Kanye West and Twitter: A brief history

Kanye West is often given over to passionate discourse, and nowhere are his thoughts more crystallized - and shout-y - than on Twitter.

Ever since West first issued his inaugural 140 character comment, @kanyewest has become one of the most controversial, talked about and followed accounts on the social media site.

But if we had to describe Ye's relationship with Twitter, we'd have to go with "complicated, and yet magical." The music star's latest Twitter issue, this "fight" with Jimmy Kimmel, is just the #tipoftheiceberg.

West made his Twitter debut in July 2010, sharing thoughts related to business, pleasure and regrets:

From July 28, 2010: The album is no longer called "Good A** Job" I'm bouncing a couple of titles around

From July 28, 2010: Up early in the morning taking meetings in Silicone Valley ... Lol I spelled Silicon wrong ( I guess I was still thinking about the other type of silicone ITS A PROCESS!! : )

From July 28, 2010: I jog in Lanvin ... I wish I had a Twitter when I was at the Lanvin store in Paris 3 weeks ago with Jay & B uuuuugh so many missed stuntastic moments

From July 28, 2010: hold on.... I'm bout to hop on this #BABYMAMAJET the jets Billionaires give to they baby mamas or they 1rst 2nd or 3rd wife

From July 29, 2010: I specifically ordered persian rugs with cherub imagery!!! What do I have to do to get a simple persian rug with cherub imagery uuuuugh

After he got the feel of it, he also used it as a way to apologize to Taylor Swift about "The Incident":

It is distasteful to cut people off as a general rule. What's the point of dressing tastefully if I'm going to act the complete opposite? ... I've hurt, I've bled, I've learned. I only want to do good… I want to help as many people as I can. I want to help starting with the music and ending with the smile. It starts with this... I'm sorry Taylor.

And as a way to share how much he didn't like certain members of the media, like "Today's" Matt Lauer:

From November 2010: I don’t mess with Matt Lauer or the Today Show and that’s a very nice way for me to put it!

By the end of 2010, West's tweets were practically works of performance art - and nearly everyone had a list of their favorite 'Ye Twitter moments. Truth be told, sometimes he was pretty on target:

From August 1, 2010: Fur pillows are hard to actually sleep on

From August 20, 2010: French fries are the devil

From September 16, 2010: You basically can say anything to someone on an email or text as long as you put LOL at the end.

From October 16, 2010: I hate when I’m on a flight and I wake up with a water bottle next to me like oh great now I gotta be responsible for this water bottle.

They were so talked about, Josh Groban even sang about them:

But as the years wore on, West's Twitter account also got him into some trouble - such as when he tweeted about abortions.

Sometimes he was effusive - like when he listed a bunch of things he didn't like, including "big a** striped scarves" and "khaki trench coats with jeans and off-brand workout sneakers," or outlined his plan to create a company called DONDA in a series of 80+ tweets.

In October 2012, West decided to leave Twitter altogether, and took his exclamation marks, ellipses and persistent capitalization with him. When he returned, though - and we all knew he wouldn't be gone forever - he seemed more elusive than before, like when he just tweeted a series of words in January 2013, or deleted all of his tweets in May 2013 and left a single message, "June Eighteen."

In context, we're not even sure where his epic Twitter fight with Jimmy Kimmel even falls. True, it was surprising to see West return to old habits - his Twitter account has been more promotional vehicle than emotional outlet lately - but, when you think about it, it really isn't wholly out of character. All caps, a little photoshop action - nothing we haven't seen before. In case you missed it, here's Jimmy Kimmel's response:

Filed under: Celebrities • Kanye West

1. SKY

FACT: KANYE WEST NEEDS TO SIT DOWN AND REALLY TALK TO A PERSON, NOT A TWIT.....
    A DISTANT UNCLE OR AUNT WHO IS NOT A LEECH......ONE PERSON SAID I HAVE ONLY
    ONE FRIEND.....I SAY, HOW SAD....OF THE BILLION I HAVE A MILLION FRIENDS....

October 3, 2013 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  2. My Butt Photo At the flower shop as wel....report debra

Another hoe.

October 2, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Comments below are directed too Personal Account Hacking While I was at the Hospital

Let me know when she is reported..you lose debzy every day

October 2, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. vccvbvbmrt568

Oh… Unbelievable…… My friend Kaly has just married to a handsome wealthy black man. They met through==♥ http://interracialmatching.weebly.com/ . ♥The best choice for you!. It is he largest and most effective dating here you will meet lots of inter`racial singles and find friendship, love, romance, marriage or even more. Over 1700000 active members from local and worldwide. You can meet (lawyers,busy professionals, CEO,benefactors. models, celebrities, etc….). If you are single , Try a try.xcb

October 2, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Back too outside machines....

thanks

September 30, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. C Felon Updates.

word.

September 30, 2013 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  7. You see....We made you look stupid again ---(well joey did)

We do not want women following your path .... we want men too like us not hate us because of that type that exists.

I am too busy for bimbos- football, boys, study and fun.--

September 30, 2013 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  8. Joey can smell a rig from a mile away now...

and so can his TECH......haaaaaaaaaaa

September 30, 2013 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  9. Morning 53 Sh...t---retrieved at 7am.

By George i think he's got it!....

September 30, 2013 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  10. Sad428

I agree when your not existing in a relationship like that one....its time too find another one.

September 30, 2013 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  11. Tim

So if god, or ye, or what ever the hell Count Crazy is doing in his tilt-a-whirl of a mind, i really dont care. He can make all the delusions he wants..not listening, not buying....

September 30, 2013 at 6:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Maggie53

Now you get the idea...that 53 this morning was a load of sh-t...

September 30, 2013 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  12. M.A.P.

No, Kanye, do me! Then slap me down like Chris Brown and do me again!!

September 29, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jane

Another date outta commission after 9pm
    Music studio is gorge

get me on Motorola. *IN*

September 28, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  14. V¡xen

I saw h¡m on E-News and he was rambling on like a deranged man. I didn't understand what he was trying to get across. He wasn't making any sense.

September 28, 2013 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  15. She is in.

thanks 0000

September 28, 2013 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  16. John

Let's get this guy mad in public again.

September 28, 2013 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  17. ThereIsNoGod

What a stupid waste of time this article was...What did i learn? Kanye uses Twitter

September 27, 2013 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Yeh Steve ya ferkin 'mo, go get her!

Whoooo, go hacker troll, GO!

September 27, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |