Mark Wahlberg earns high school diploma
September 17th, 2013

Mark Wahlberg earns high school diploma

It's never too late to learn something new, and Mark Wahlberg has proof.

The 42-year-old actor earned his high school diploma this summer, years after dropping out of high school in the ninth grade.

As Wahlberg writes in a piece on The Huffington Post, he's been taking classes for the past year and studying wherever he could, including on-set.

"It has been both humbling and challenging, but I'm happy to report that I am officially a high school graduate, having received my diploma this summer," Wahlberg writes.

On top of feeling accomplished, Wahlberg added in an interview with People magazine that getting his diploma is "also a huge sense of relief."

"I wondered, 'Why didn't I do it when I was there?' It's so much harder going back and trying to do all these difficult tasks," the star said. But Wahlberg might not be done hitting the books.

"I would love to go to USC and study film," he told People. "I don't want to become a veterinarian or anything, [I want to study] things that further my career and broaden my horizon."

Filed under: Celebrities

1. PK

Well; I have to give the man some credit. At least he has the skills to use the English language and proper grammer better than most people on this post.

September 23, 2013 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  2. O'drama ya Mama

Big Shiz

At least take some vocal coaching to get the New Jersey/ New York out of your accent. Big turn off for the 90% of us that know New York is NOT the center of the universe.
    September 19, 2013 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________

He clearly has a Boston accent

September 20, 2013 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jen

Lol..... he is def. from Mass and has a Boston accent. Maybe you should travel more and learn about other cultures

September 26, 2013 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  3. The Queen Rules 10 - 06

This guy is a gem.. He has a wife he praises night and day, kids, movie star and now he's ready to finish school...better late then never and all the best in your career Mark!

September 19, 2013 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Filo

The guy is amazing he's going back too college also. He is a respected in Hollywood a classy young guy and now he is completing his education. All the best!

September 19, 2013 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Tom

Congrats Mark, You are a great actor, and seem to be a great guy as well. I can relate with what you have accomplished. I dropped out at the seventh grade, received my GED in Vietnam (which was very difficult as it was) went to college and received my 2-yr. degree. Not rich but, very great full to the Military for giving me that chance. So be proud of your accomplishments for you are a high school grad. and yes take it to the next level if you can.

September 19, 2013 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Meh

I like ya Mark, but, to quote someone else, "whatchu want, a cookie? ya low expectation having mf'er"
    I do envy your hands having touched Mila in 'Ted' tho – well done

September 19, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sandra

Congrats, but who lets their 15-16yr old quit school? Oh, well good job with going back to school and getting that piece of paper, because contrary to what stupid people think that piece of paper is the difference between self sufficiency and homelessness.

September 19, 2013 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Karen Tyler

Yeah, because not having the "piece of paper" has caused him to NOT be a huge movie star and a millionaire. You're an idiot.

September 20, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mary K C

Well done Mark !

September 19, 2013 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jenn

Thats awesome! I wasn't allowed to finish school after my mom kicked me out at 15... the sch district said I had t have an adult t register me and I didn't have one so I couldn't attend school... I went t a walk in GED place at the age of 27 to take the test.. past it that day and now i'm taking college classes! keep it up Mark, your teaching others to never give up

September 19, 2013 at 5:41 am | Report abuse |
  10. Rosana Smith

Congratulations! It is an inspirations for many of us...Due to lack of time, I can't go back to school...I work long long hours...housekeeping is not a glamour job....but we all have to survive....I true believe that education is the answer for many things in life! I am a big fan! I love your work! GOOD JOB! :-)

September 19, 2013 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Pam

Don't give up on getting your GED and going to college if you want to. Many school districts have the GED thru distance learning. Yes, it cost money to go to college but there are many grants and scholarships out there. Use Google to research them. I was a financial aid counselor at one time. Don't give up!

September 23, 2013 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pam

Check out http://www.fastweb.com. It has listings by every public and private organization that give grants, loans and scholarships for college.

September 23, 2013 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Guest

Thats awesome! Its never too late to finish your education!

September 18, 2013 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Hannover

Hey that's great! Maybe you can look into some acting classes now.

September 18, 2013 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jujubeans

At this point in his career, why bother?

September 18, 2013 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big Shiz

September 19, 2013 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. M.A.P.

I saw his wang in that movie.

September 18, 2013 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
  15. Bubs

Good for you, Mark! You should be very proud of yourself! It takes a lot of courage at an older age to return to school, and get your diploma or a degree.

Maybe, Mark can help teach Jaden Smith the importance of education....After reading what Jaden tweeted to his fans, Sept. 12th, “School Is The Tool To Brainwash The Youth” and on Sept. 13th, “If Everybody In The World Dropped Out Of School We Would Have A Much More Intelligent Society", I was ready to scream!!!

September 17, 2013 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

Yeah, well Jaden Smith would know all about brainwashing – he goes to a bl00dy scientology school! No wonder he has been brainwashed to believe the public school system is in bed with the drug manufacturers in their evil plot to get all children addicted to medication for mental conditions which do not really exist (it's just the soul of an ancient alien inside your body that makes you feel confused or depressed). Ive said it before and I say it again, Miscaviage should be in jail.

September 18, 2013 at 5:37 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

LOL! Yiou're so pathetic! I really love your one line posts with no username though. Totally standing up to me!

September 18, 2013 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Jaden Smith is an idiot

If he wants to live in a country with little to no formal education, he can move to Afghanistan. Jaden's outlook on education works wonder over there.

September 18, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big Shiz

M.A.P is a B.I.O.T.C.H. and probly F.A. T. Too

September 19, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

who cares about her.

September 19, 2013 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

Hey SHIZ, nope not fat. Actually people ask me if i have an eating disorder because im so thin and eat whatever i want. It's in my genes. B.I.O.T.C.H? I'll take that.

September 20, 2013 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
  16. Skipper Sam

This just a GED ?

September 17, 2013 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Karen Tyler

No. He took courses for credit and earned a full HS diploma.

September 20, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Sherri

Congratulations to him. This is an accomplishment, regardless of how long it took him. He did it. He worked for it and did it. To others out there who think they are too old or have waited too long – go for it. I knew a lady who went to college at 83 and got her degree. You're never too old to learn.

September 17, 2013 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  18. glenda

Now he's officially qualified, to work in fast food! McDonalds or Wendys, Burger King or Braums, decisions, decisions!

September 17, 2013 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Robert Mischief

This is a great thing to hear about. I'm a big fan of Walberg, even though I am not actually a a decent portion of his work, and it's nice to see him striving to better himself. Go Marky Mark.

September 17, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |