Why not this guy for Batman?
September 17th, 2013

Ben Affleck on 'Batfleck' backlash: I'm tough

The sustained hatred for Warner Bros. recent Batman casting was hard to miss - particularly for the actor who landed the part.

But Ben Affleck - or "Batfleck," as he shall henceforth be known - told Jimmy Fallon on "Late Night" that he can handle the hate. Or so he thought.

The star's management had a hunch that the 41-year-old actor would get hammered online after news went out about his new gig as Batman in Zack Snyder's "Man of Steel" sequel, and they warned him to stay off the Internet for a while.

Affleck brushed them off, saying, "I'm a big boy. If I can handle an Emmys snub, I can handle anything. ... I handle s***, I'm tough."

So he goes online, checks out his casting announcement, and was hit with the world's reaction right in the first comment: "NOOOOOOOO!"

After that, Affleck informed his family that they're going to be Luddites for a while.

To be fair, even Affleck was hesitant about taking the role, knowing that Bruce Wayne's cape is a hard one to fill.

"They called me up and said, 'Do you want to do this?' and I thought, 'I'm not 25, are you sure?,'" Affleck told Fallon.

But after hearing director Snyder's direction for Batman, Affleck was on board. Although he can't give too much away, he did say that Snyder plans to keep the character somewhat in line with the hero Christian Bale brought to life in Christopher Nolan's "Dark Knight" trilogy, while also branching off and doing something different.

"It's so awesome, I'm so excited," Affleck said. "He has this incredible take on it. I thought this was a brilliant way to do this."

Filed under: Ben Affleck • Celebrities

1. Meh

Nice guy – mediocre at his craft

October 1, 2013 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. Phone 44

Done.

September 26, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bink

Ben will do a great job...can't wait to see it!

September 26, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Doc Johnnie

He must have said this 'tongue-in-cheek', surely.

September 24, 2013 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Hacked in to my phone call with cablevision...

report her as abuse

September 23, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Debra is going also

He does not show up on any of the scripts--you do

September 23, 2013 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mr.Beepo

I've got to be honest...I wasn't thrilled with the annoucement about Afflack but after seeing those other "choices" I think they picked the best one of the lot.

September 23, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MSK

Definitely will not be wasting money to see Ben Flack in role as Batman and know of many others who won't waste their money either.

September 22, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anything is possible...

Ben has the personality and a huge fan base. All have gone too see him for years and will continue to do so.
      The UK loves him too

September 22, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  9. MSK

Can some one else be selected to star in the Batman Role ?

September 22, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Project Trust

I feel that is the best choice for the role at this time.

September 22, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bimbo44

2 phone calls this morning reported.

September 22, 2013 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  11. booradleymoments

It's so back and forth, some people like it and obviously some hate it. I'm on the like it side of the fence. Ben is a talented man. Yeah, he's done some crap roles in the past, but most actors have done a role or two that have been awful. I think he'll do just fine. Read more of my opinion at http://brmoments.com/2013/09/batman/

September 22, 2013 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  12. sandranwadi

Reblogged this on sandranwadi.

September 22, 2013 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
  13. lean6

After watching "The Town" directed by and starring Affleck, I actually became a fan. But, after seeing "Argo" after all of the awards hype, I just received further confirmation that the Oscars and the Emmys have nothing to do with awarding the best movies. He should gain no confidence from winning an Oscar while being snubbed for an Emmy; "Argo" was an average film, at best.

September 21, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jan

Not that I'm a huge fan of anybody in Hollywood,but it is so funny how everyday nobody's who most likely make min. Wage and have no singing or acting abilities are quick to criticize those who are successful and talented and will live a life that 99.9% of the haters will only dream about. So, I say, unless you are famous and have something to offer, Shut up and grow up. Go get a job.

September 20, 2013 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

So you're saying that everyone in Hollywood worked hard to get there and deserves their fame and fortune and anyone NOT famous in hollywood, just didn't work hard enough? Are you one of Mitt Romneys 27 children?

September 20, 2013 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
    • El Vis

Jan, what are you famous for, exactly? Thought so. I sold out every time I played Vegas, baby. Take your own advice and put a cork in it.

September 28, 2013 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  15. dave

since only gays watch the Emmys its not big deal, unless he's....

September 19, 2013 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  16. JGN

I love it; all these people with absolutely no talent whatsoever ripping to shreds a competent actor and director for something he hasn't even DONE yet. Wow.

September 18, 2013 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cait

Mmmm....competent actor? Methinks you give the 'Fleck too much credit. His younger brother runs circles around his acting ability, and they've been in the biz for the same amount of time, if that says anything. All he has is the aesthetic of batman, which I sums up most hollywood movies~ impressive visuals lacking substance.

September 19, 2013 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Richard

He should just admit he is unsuitable for the role. Like most he's played. He's a much better director than an actor.

September 18, 2013 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  18. Robert Mischief

I will go into this movie thinking the problem is Zac Snyder, and then, and only then, will I judge Ben as Batman.

September 17, 2013 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  19. flexnfx

Noooooooo!

September 17, 2013 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  20. palintwit

I've not seen or heard anything to the contrary so I must (sadly) assume that Sarah Palin continues to waste oxygen. *sigh*

September 17, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  21. M.A.P.

Whoa, they caught his face at a wierd moment in that photo. Seriously a film called Batman vs Superman was never going to be good anyway. At least it's not Clooney!

September 17, 2013 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Peace ☮

Hmmm, no pic for me. I'm on my phone, that might be why. I'll have to take your word for it. :)

September 18, 2013 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
    • lean6

That's just how he looks...it's not a "bad" photo. Having said that, how he looks and his mannerisms observed over the years plays into people judging his suitability for the role of Batman. If he had a filmography that had more stuff like "The Town" on it, perhaps perceptions would be different...he seemed like a believable tough guy in that movie.

September 21, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jane

You don't have the personality Map, sorry

September 22, 2013 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |