'Insidious: Chapter 2' keeps box office horror hot
September 16th, 2013

'Insidious: Chapter 2' keeps box office horror hot

New release "Insidious: Chapter 2" has scared up a surprisingly large box office haul.

The sequel to 2011's "Insidious" brought in roughly $41 million this weekend, making it the second largest September opening ever. (The honor of highest September bow of all time goes to "Hotel Transylvania," and just barely: that 2012 movie opened to $42.5 million last September.)

It's not only a higher bow than industry analysts were expecting, but a more profitable one, too: "Insidious: Chapter 2" was made for just $5 million.

When compared to the original "Insidious," the sequel performed better by leaps and bounds. The first installment opened to $13.3 million in April 2011, and went on to make $54 million domestically.

Both films star Patrick Wilson and Rose Byrne in a family that seems to be a magnet for evil spirits, and while critics haven't adored either installment, audiences apparently have.

Then again, horror has been the mainstay challenger this year. As the Wall Street Journal reports, the genre is "having a banner year" at the box office, beginning with Andrés Muschietti's January release "Mama" making $71.6 million stateside on a budget of $15 million.

With the "Insidious" sequel performing very well - likely helped by its Friday the 13th release date and the first film's strong reputation - horror movies have become "the closest thing today to a safe box office bet."

Robert De Niro's mafia comedy with Michelle Pfeiffer wasn't as secure. "The Family," which starred De Niro as a mob honcho who has to relocate his family to France under witness protection, earned $14.5 million in its first weekend.

It was followed by Vin Diesel's "Riddick," which earned $7 million; "The Butler," which brought in $5.6 million; and the Jennifer Aniston and Jason Sudeikis comedy "We're The Millers," which earned $5.4 million.

Filed under: movies

1. whitewaysystems55

We have amazing furniture for your rest in cheap price and many categories that you want in your house contact us if you want your wish.

January 21, 2014 at 4:51 am | Report abuse |
  2. Best line on project...

its just skin on a bone....

September 21, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Boxie Daddy dance...

That was for you bimbo....

September 21, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Boxes manufactures

September 21, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Leaving

the series

September 19, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. M.A.P.

Anyone seen Red State? Im considering that for my nightly dose of horror.

September 18, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert Mischief

Red State isn't actually a horror film. It's more of an action drama that takes a stab at the Westboro Baptist by creating a similar religious cult with a gun extremist policy.

September 19, 2013 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

Yeah, I started watching it and realised after 5 minutes it's a low budget – not very scary kinda film. I saw the Conjuring instead and was VERY scared and happy!

September 19, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yep

and pretty what she looks like also.

September 19, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Marti

I hope its better than the first one. It reminded me of the Disney Haunted Mansion. Especially the old tried and true "bride ghost". So cheesy.

September 18, 2013 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
  8. Robert Mischief

I saw this the day it came out as a huge fan of the first Insidious and Wan's new movie, The Conjuring.
    I admit that it was a very Fun film to watch, but it is far from a Good movie. Of all the horror films I saw this year Insidious 2 is holding a firm third place under the far superior Mama and Conjuring above that.

September 16, 2013 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peace ☮

I saw Momma, that was a strange one, but, i liked it. Heard Conjuring was really good. Had my friend from the start! I will defiantly see that one.

September 16, 2013 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

I loved the first Insideous! Horror is my favourite genre and I'm soo glad that there have been so many releases this year. I really liked the remake of Evil Dead, Mama was awesome creepy too. I havent seen or heard of Conjuring, what's it about? Oh and you guys have to see Sinister from 2012, creeeepeeeey!

September 17, 2013 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Robert Mischief

Sinister was a fun slick as well. I really liked Hawke in it, and the whole concept with Beghul and the Super 8 was a new and intruiging spin. Sadly, I cannot say that I cared for the Evil Dead remake at all, and I had such high hopes for it.

September 17, 2013 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

Hello'! What about the part where she gets raped by the tree, that scream is brutal! And the part where the other woman is cutting her face iff with the broken piece of mirror, i nearly died! But apart from the shock parts it was pretty standard, I know. Just the make-up and gore was amazing. I am watching the Conjuring tonight, hope it's as brutal.

September 18, 2013 at 5:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Robert Mischief

I think there's a very distinct difference between bloody gorefest and scary. The former tends to be used as a shock value and by hack writers who think the more gallons of fake blood they have the scarier it is where as the latter uses atmosphere, suspense, subtlety, and nuance to stir a more carnal reaction other than revolting.
      The original Texas Chainsaw only used two pints of blood while Texas Chainsaw: The Beginning uses more blood than a human body even posseses and at one point has the half naked heroine submerged in a vat of blood and grsitle and the first movie is far scarier. (And seriously, what woman, even frightened, would not notice a seven foot mountain of a man with a running chainsaw hiding in the back seat of her compact car?)

This is just one person's humble opinion, though.

September 19, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Canadian Observer

This is a tremendously good movie. I saw it several weeks ago and it is fantastic.

September 16, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |