Lady Gaga gets 'Applause' for 'Over the Rainbow' on 'GMA'
September 9th, 2013

Lady Gaga gets 'Applause' for 'Over the Rainbow' on 'GMA'

"The Wizard Of Oz" has been reimagined by many, and that now includes Lady Gaga.

The pop star donned a Gaga-fied version of Dorothy's blue gingham dress and ruby slippers for a performance on "Good Morning America" Monday, which featured a little "Over the Rainbow" a cappella to start.

But this "Wizard Of Oz" featured a Tin Man, Cowardly Lion and Scarecrow smitten with Dorothy's voice - and she, of course, lives for their "Applause."

In front of an audience filled with "poppies" - Gaga fans rocking flower-shaped head gear - the singer went through one costume change after another during her set.

The concept is "really an explanation in a way for my entire career so far," Gaga said after her appearance. "It's like my way of saying all of these outfits and all of these wigs that I've been changing in over the years, this is my way of assimilating, this is my way of surviving, this is my way of getting to Oz to have all my dreams come true. So whatever we had to do to get past the evil monkeys from the West, and to get past the Wicked Witch, Dorothy was able to transform in order to survive."

Her upcoming album, "ARTPOP," is a product of her most recent transformation from a world famous singer who's unsure of herself into a happier, more confident Gaga.

The 27-year-old said that with her last album, 2011's "Born This Way," she was actually going through a tough time.

"I was kind of insecure. I became a star really quickly and I didn't have time to put my feet in the ground and have a sense of myself through it all," she said. "There was a lot of me putting things on, I think, to hide that sadness, and the record reflected that."

These days, though, she's feeling "so positive and healed in a lot of ways, and I feel really overjoyed and full of love. ... I'm in a happy place, and when I'm in a happy place, the music is."

"ARTPOP," she went on, will carry a message to her fans encouraging them to embrace their talent in the way they've helped Gaga embrace hers.

"No matter what I go through, and no matter how I evolve, they always stand by me because they appreciate my point of view," she said. "That's what 'ARTPOP' is about, I want them to appreciate their points of view, and as they're harnessing their talents, whatever your talents may be, I want you to know that your talents are important. ... So please, express your talents and show who you are."

"ARTPOP," which features the single "Applause," will arrive November 11.

Filed under: Celebrities • Lady Gaga • Music

1. The Queen is a class act

and all over gaga like a rug....we do not want young women learning from this hacking hoe.

September 21, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. She's street smart your a bimbo.

Get me on galaxy 2 everyone...so we an howl with laughter.

September 21, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Robert Mack

Can this clip be permanently destroyed? Is not what this ... what? ... 'entertainer'? ... is doing to this particular song, and by extension to the ARTIST with whom it is associated, and to whom - by virtue of that same ARTIST's inimitable recordings and performances thereof - it will forever belong ... is not, again, such an affront punishable by law? Back away from this ... as you would from a noisome object; and, much in the manner of Homer Simpson's refrain when it comes to the subject of family vacations: let us never speak of it again. What outrageous gall! ... Rufus Wainwright was appalling enough by way of a self-deluded, egomaniacal joke ... but this?!? All is forgiven, Judy, wherever you are!!! Save us from such horrors in future!

September 21, 2013 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. gsdfgdgcvbcvbfd

Are you still single? Maybe -ŚeekingŔichMen.Com_ ♥– is suitable for you. This is serious millionaire dating services and personals site dedicated to those seeking real love. Thousands of beautiful women and rich men have been meeting on this site and created rich couples success stories of their own, not to mention the thousands of these women and men dating and finding love on this website too. Single people meeting another single is why we are here fdgsdfg

September 10, 2013 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  5. @ twit n tracie

Same person I presume. Your sense of humor is wack.

September 9, 2013 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. tracie

UM MORE LIKE FARTPOP! I HAD A TURR D FOR LUNCH TODAY!

September 9, 2013 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. palintwit

Mention the name 'Sarah Palin' to a tea party patriot and watch his size 34 clown shoes flap wildly up and down, alomost to the point of becoming airborne. For them it's like getting an erection.

September 9, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |