'RoboCop' remake gets a trailer
September 6th, 2013

'RoboCop' remake gets a trailer

In 2014's reboot of "RoboCop," we're back in Detroit and still facing ridiculous amounts of crime, but with a fresh, sleek suit for the starring cyborg to fight it with.

Gary Oldman joining 'RoboCop' remake

In the first trailer for director José Padilha's take on the 1987 film, "The Killing's" Joel Kinnaman is introduced as the new Alex Murphy, previously played by Peter Weller.

After suffering severe injuries in an accident, Kinnaman's Murphy is subjected to conglomerate OmniCorp's high-tech vision of a half-man, half-machine police officer.

The problem is that while his gear is snazzy and his programming top of the line, the emotional side of Murphy eventually learns to override the system.

Padilha is himself a fan of Paul Verhoeven's original "RoboCop," and he tells the Los Angeles Times that he wanted to push the 1987 story a bit further.

Detroit raises funds for RoboCop statue

"I actually had a take ... which is we’re in the future, and drones have been replaced by robots and are being used all over the world for foreign policy and war," Padilha explained. "Kind of like instead of sending soldiers to Iraq, you send robots to Tehran."

With machines at war instead of humans, Padilha posits that would eradicate any "political pressure at home to end wars, because the reason why the Vietnam War ended is because soldiers were dying. When you take the soldiers away and you have robots, that opens a can of worms."

So for 2014's "RoboCop," the idea is that robots are in use everywhere in the world except America, "because Americans won’t accept that a robot can pull the trigger, that the robot can decide to take or not to take a person’s life in law enforcement. So this company is losing lots of money because it can’t sell robots in North America, so the solution is, 'Let’s put a man in the machine and sell that.' That was the premise of the movie that I said to (studio MGM) in the very first day, and because they wanted to do it, that’s why I’m here."

What do you think of the new "RoboCop's" backstory? "RoboCop," which also stars Samuel L. Jackson, Abbie Cornish, Gary Oldman and Michael Keaton, will arrive on February 7, 2014.

Filed under: movies • Trailer Park

1. rs

Just about all modern action movies are hyped up on action cause with CGI we can do anything so lets do anything even if its totally unbelievable, myopic to the lead characters who are thinly developed, and thin or non-existent storylines. I hope this is not another one but my hope is thin.

September 9, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Vote for Pedro

It should be required, before you enter the theatre, you have to prove you watched the original Robocopmovie from 25 yrs ago.

September 9, 2013 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  3. sixback

Filmed in the Hammer The city of Hamilton ON., Canada during the summer evenings of 2012.
    They even paid off the surrounding neighborhoods for the nightly expenditure of ammunition!

The Hammer, Steel Town, the Pittsburgh of Canada, before Pittsburgh got its cool back.
    The Hammer is to Toronto, what New Jersey is to New York

September 8, 2013 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joe

Wow. That looks like crap. Just another reason I'm glad I watch only Indie or foreign films.

September 7, 2013 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Andrew Falcon

Unlike most people I have watched the previous versions of Robocop. The movies. The TV series. The slow, gritty miniseries. Before the movies seemed to have a hard time with the cause and effect scenarios. This finally looks like a more complete version of the concept of a the future computer, robotic, and cybernetic technology and its full implications on the human race if it were spread world wide.

It thankfully is not a shot-for-shot remake of the original. Finally, something new happens with Robocop.

September 7, 2013 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Zach

Wow. I'm surprised. This actually looks pretty good. I would buy that for a dollar, or even nine fifty.

September 7, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ※Sadie※

I'm not usually big on remakes. This trailer looks good, but I would probably wait until this comes out on video before I saw it. Did they actually make this movie in Detroit?

September 7, 2013 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Peace ☮

Hey ya! Here's a tid bit for ya.

RoboCop, the half-man, half-cyborg, famously battled bad guys in a futuristic Detroit in a 1987 movie that spawned two sequels and a TV series.

Hope that helps.

September 7, 2013 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • ※Sadie※

Hey Peace! I knew the movies were set in Detroit. I wondered if they filmed it there. So as you know me, I have to find out. I googled it. It wasn't shot there. Pittsburgh and Dallas were a few cities they listed, but not Detroit. They could really use the money. It would have been nice to see that happen for the people of Detroit.

September 7, 2013 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jetwhhs

The 2014 version looks like it will be fun but did anyone ask Peter Weller or Nancy Allen to play apart in the new version. Have not read everything concerning the new Robocop but it would be very entertaining to see them play in the new movie.

September 7, 2013 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  9. Zan

Looks and sounds surprisingly good. The update from the slow plodding tank-like robot to an agile super soldier makes sense given today's technology. Same goes for the plot. Hopefully this will live up to its potential.

September 6, 2013 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jules

so in 20 -30 years we still have Detroit going down the drain .............

September 6, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zach

You're a great American. People like you are why we are in so much trouble. OBEY, SLEEP, EAT. OBEY ,SLEEP,EAT.

September 7, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jules

Sorry , the suit in black looks like BATMAN – should have stayed robotey silver.

September 6, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Did you even watch the trailer? The gets painted black from silver, or the other way around.

September 6, 2013 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zach

No cape, no cowl, why so serious...Pinhead.

September 7, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Maelstrom

While I agree I'm disgusted with Hollywood's lack of originality by rebooting another classic, I admit this looks pretty good in the trailer.

I like how they paid homage to the original look of RoboCop, and then tweaked him to 2014 standards (at least he doesn't look like an iPhone, like the Starship Enterprise remake does). So long as the story is a new twist (aka Total Recall) it should be worth seeing.

I do find it a bit depressing that after 26 years since this movie came out, Detroit is still so bad off that it fits perfectly into this movie.

I'm sure in the next decade we'll have remakes of Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, Gremlins and Mad Max (since they've already redone most of the others already in some form or fashion that was popular in the 80's).

September 6, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Ah, the contradictory irony of your first sentence. Your comment is precisely why "Hollywood" keeps churning out these remakes.

September 6, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

OMG a Gremlins remake would be greasch!!!!!!!! I loved Gremlins 2 when they were in the foyer singing New York, New York. So funny.

September 7, 2013 at 3:38 am | Report abuse |
  13. Don Sprouse

At first I thought to myself, "Great...another remake and show of lack of creativity in Hollywood." That being said, I am a bit more optimistic as the story sound good, the casting appears very strong, and the new RoboCop appears to have some potential. I am going to wait to really past judgement until we see more trailers. Over the years I was greatly disappointed by John Carter, Conan, and other similar movies, but I am willing to give this a chance.

September 6, 2013 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

More contradictory irony. Whereas the other commenter managed it in one sentence, you did it in two. Complaining about the lack of creativity in Hollywood, yet expressing a desire to see this all the same.

September 6, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. John

Looks better than I thought it would.

September 6, 2013 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |