Dave Chappelle and Hartford have a mutual dislike
September 5th, 2013

Dave Chappelle and Hartford have a mutual dislike

Chances are, Dave Chappelle isn't going to revisit Hartford, Connecticut anytime soon.

The comedian's performance there last Thursday ended pretty badly - by which we mean he first lectured the audience on their heckling before walking off the stage.

The experience was so comically disastrous, Chappelle even found a way to work it into his live act in Chicago on Tuesday night.

According to TMZ, which has audio of his stand-up, Chappelle told the Chi-town audience that he "will never go back [to Hartford] ... I wouldn't even go to Hartford for f*****g gas. I don't want anything bad to happen to the United States but if North Korea ever drops a nuclear bomb on this country ... I hope it lands in Hartford, Connecticut."

Needless to say, some of Hartford's prominent figures haven't offered an olive branch.

"Dave Chappelle should quit whining, do his job and try some yoga," tweeted Hartford Mayor Pedro Segarra.

But to Chappelle, the crowd that booed and jeered with increasing intensity on Thursday was "evil ... an arena full of suburban torturers, young white alcoholics, just booing and talking all kinds of s***. It was like, I wanted to pull a reverse Kramer, and just call 'em all crackers, or something crazy like that. I know that s*** would be on YouTube."

Yet he also knew he couldn't do that, as he remembered how badly he felt when Michael Richards - who played Kramer on "Seinfeld" – used the "N"-word in a rant during a 2006 performance.

"I was a 'Seinfeld' fan till the end, but when he did that s***, I was like, 'Kramer, you f****d up ... you lost me,'" he quipped.

In the end, though, Chappelle thinks the Hartford crowd got what they came for.

"That crowd feels lucky that they got to see me freak out. It's just like being at a f*****g tiger show the night Siegfried and Roy got their throats bit out by the tiger," he said. "I know deep down that's why you go to the tiger show. You don't go to see somebody be safe."

Filed under: Celebrities

1. ashy larry

I'm Ritch B****H !!!

September 9, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. 53

The information is not accurate.....what a bimbo

September 9, 2013 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
  3. Ian Woo

Honestly, no one is REALLY as stupid as most of the comments on this article so far reflect. If you people aren't getting paid to post the comments you're posting, you are SERIOUS AND MASSIVE LOSERS. Get help!

September 9, 2013 at 4:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. Ian Woo

Wow, reading these comments so far, my only guess is that it surely must mostly be paid propagandists so far.

September 9, 2013 at 4:00 am | Report abuse |
  5. SlapHappy

Chappelle is a racist, unfunny performer who is trying to retain any relevance he may have thought he had. Wants desperately to be Richard Pryor and falls FAR short.

September 6, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian Woo

You know nothing about Richard Pryor OR Dave Chappelle. That's all there is to it. Go "Git 'er Done" and kill yourself please.

September 9, 2013 at 4:14 am | Report abuse |
  6. jimmer

Chappelle is just as much as racist as any white person he has ever criticized.

Don't like an unruly audience Dave?

Now you know how the rest of feel any time we go somewhere where there are blacks in the audience.

September 6, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian Woo

September 9, 2013 at 4:08 am | Report abuse |
  7. Black Messiah

See, white people can chimp out too.

September 6, 2013 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  8. M.A:P.

"an arena full of suburban torturers, young white alcoholics, just booing and talking all kinds of s***"

Now I can't imagine the outrage if instead of "suburban torturers" and "young white alcoholics" it was a white comedian saying "ghetto thugs" and "black cra-ckheads". There's no such thing as reverse rac-ism, it is rac-ism any way you direct it. Shame on you, Chappelle.

September 6, 2013 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Ian Woo

That is completely absurd. You have no earthly idea what you are talking about.

September 9, 2013 at 3:57 am | Report abuse |
  9. Buddy

I don't know what he's complaining about. The crowd always acts that way when I go to a movie in a black neighborhood.

September 6, 2013 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  10. Rachel

Racist SOB, where is the outraged, maybe we should bomb his house. The man has no taste whatsoever.

September 6, 2013 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  11. Måd

They shoulda never gave you crackas money!

September 6, 2013 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  12. mrC

Funny how people like Paula Dean lose their careers for using racial slurs, but he can get away with a racial slur combined with a comment of terrorists destroying a US city with a nuclear bomb.Not funny Dave. Sissy.

September 6, 2013 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Ian Woo

September 9, 2013 at 4:00 am | Report abuse |
  13. John Vecchitto

I've been a fan of Chappelle since first hearing his comedy. But his hate saddens me. Dave, "...you lost me."

September 5, 2013 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian Woo

You probably never got Chappelle to begin with. Go "Git 'er done" and kill yourself now!

September 9, 2013 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |