Katie Couric: I made getting married a priority
September 4th, 2013

Katie Couric: I made getting married a priority

When it came to getting married again, Katie Couric put her mind to it.

The 56-year-old journalist and TV personality, whose first husband, Jay Monahan, died of colon cancer in 1998, tells People magazine in its September 16 issue that she made finding love again one of her top to-dos.

"I knew that I wanted this," Couric tells the magazine of finding a spouse. "I made it a priority, and I pursued it with some purpose."

Kim Kardashian beefs with Katie Couric

That pursuit paid off over Labor Day weekend, when Molner whisked Couric off to the beach in East Hampton to ask for her hand. And even though Couric was looking to settle down, Molner's proposal initially caught her off guard.

"He said that there was a reason he'd brought me there to the beach, and that he loved me and was committed to me, and I said, 'Yeah, I know that, you didn't have to bring me here to tell me that,'" Couric recalls. "Finally he said, 'Couric, I'm trying to propose to you,' and I was stunned."

Katie Couric is engaged

The "Katie" daytime host was so stunned at first that she couldn't even respond.

"It took me a while to say yes, because I was so confused!" Couric says.

Once she finished processing what was going on, Couric is said to have "ecstatically" accepted. She's been dating Molner, a 50-year-old banker, for two years.

Filed under: Celebrities

1. drew

October 1, 2013 at 4:09 am | Report abuse |
  2. goat

Really? Her fiancee calls her "Couric"? Thats romantic...

September 30, 2013 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. we now have 3 people assigned too 53rd

September 27, 2013 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Vicki

Wonderful for her. Marriage is a good thing and I am happy she found someone to love.

September 27, 2013 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Monty Monty

She is 6 years older than he is. Interesting.

September 23, 2013 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • JAG

Six years isn't a problem. 25 years (Michael Douglas) or 40 years (George Soros) is.

September 24, 2013 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. socalpimp

Funny how these so called liberals all date rich bankers or hedge fund managers.....

September 23, 2013 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  7. M.A.P.

Oh how sweet. Dating for 2 years now getting married. So, how is this in any way remotely deserving a mention on here? THEY WILL BE DIVORCED IN ANOTHER YEAR OR SO! God people, get over the whole wedding thing ploooisse!!!!

September 5, 2013 at 5:57 am | Report abuse |
    • jujubeans

My guess would be that they live happily ever after, jerk!

September 5, 2013 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

Well, that was rude and un-called for.

September 5, 2013 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Vicki

Why must you always be so negative. Katie Couric is a popular person and I wish her only happiness. She lost her former husband and that was a tragedy for her.

September 27, 2013 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Excellent News

Katie moved on and found a great younger man too have a good life with ... you go girl

September 4, 2013 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Don

Shad up Miss M. A. P. U can change yer handle, still know it be u.

September 5, 2013 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  10. M.A.P.

GET A LIFE DON!!! Don't you have anything better to do than come on here to complain? You are such a typical whining american waa waa waa.

September 5, 2013 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  11. M.A.P.

Yes the marquee blog is a sacred place where only the most intelligent minds come together to discuss the worlds most important issues, yes? Moron.

September 5, 2013 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  12. lol

It's an entertainment blog, not a bodily function blog. You, map, are not entertaining, even though I'm sure you think you are.

September 5, 2013 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  13. jujubeans

"a fecal joke"? Gee, I don't recall seeing any fecal posts that could remotely be considered jokes.

September 5, 2013 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |