Jennifer Lopez talks Casper - and her controversial performance
September 4th, 2013

Jennifer Lopez talks Casper - and her controversial performance

Returning "American Idol" judge Jennifer Lopez views each mistake as a lesson.

The 44-year-old actress and singer was caught in a performance faux pas in June when she sang "Happy Birthday" to one of the most repressive leaders in the world, Turkmenistan President Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov.

J. Lo sings happy birthday wishes to repressive Asian leader

At the time, Lopez's rep said that "had there been knowledge of human right issues of any kind, Jennifer would not have attended," but that didn't save the star from criticism.

Reflecting on the incident with Cosmopolitan magazine in its October issue, Lopez can admit that she made a misstep.

"I know that being seen as a role model means taking responsibility for all my actions. I am human, and of course, sometimes I make mistakes," she said. "But I promise that when I fall, I get back up. When I am wrong, I will learn the lesson and move on to face other challenges. For me, that's what creating your own life is. Doing your best work while being your best self."

Lately, Lopez's best self has been attached to 26-year-old choreographer Beau "Casper" Smart. The couple have raised eyebrows with their age difference, but Lopez explains that for her finding a worthy partner trumps all.

"For me, it's about having a great partner to walk this life with. I have my own high standards for what I want in a partner and how I want to be treated," she said. "I bring a lot to the table. I'm not talking about material things but what I have to offer as a person – love and loyalty and all the things that make a good relationship."

Don't be fooled by the rock: J.Lo isn't engaged

Although she's no longer with fellow singer Marc Anthony, it sounds like he did offer Lopez a lot of support during their seven-year marriage.

"The biggest insecurity I had was my singing," Lopez told Cosmo. "Even though I had sold 70 million records, there was this feeling like, I'm not good at this. And while I was married to Marc, he helped me get over it. He kept telling me, ‘You're the only one holding yourself back from reaching your full potential as a singer. You have to let go'…I was always so insecure and just kind of going along. Then I grew, little by little, and realized, wait a minute, this is not a fluke. I'm not a mistake – I work my ass off. And I know what I'm doing."

Filed under: Celebrities • Jennifer Lopez

1. No letter s...means its yours...

now we separate all http and https-

peace 50

September 23, 2013 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jujubeans

That outfit's not so hot up close. They should have made it out of sheer material.

September 23, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. citizenUSA

"I didn't know..." is a bulls**t answer from people who get paid lots of money and PAY lots of money to people who should have checked it out. It's not like it's the first time a performer has been in this situation. She ain't "Jenny from the block" anymore. I know because I used to live on her block.

September 12, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. skip

Now I like Jennifer Lopez and think she is Stunningly beautiful, but A good Singer she is not!! she has entertaining songs certainly and selling 70 million albums doesn't mean you are good it just means you are popular and those are not the same thing. I do think she is a decent actress and would like to see her on screen more.

September 9, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. The 7 or 8 men are bimbo's

FILED

September 6, 2013 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. pennylane

What cracks me up about JLo..she claims she found a man worthy of walking through life with...I'm sure she said the same thing about the other 7 or 8 she dated or was married to...great role model for her kids...

September 6, 2013 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cristina

She was married 3 times, and she had a few boyfriends in between those marriages. What's wrong with that?? Many women go through a few frogs before they meet their prince. She was with Marc, the father of her kids for 7 years, and they had the most graceful and respectful divorce in the history of celebrity divorces, they remain the best of friends. She's had ONE boyfriend since her divorce, and it doesn't look like he's going anywhere. You ma'am, are a bitter, jealous TROLL. Why don't you look at all of her achievments over the years? She came from nothing and now she's considered a cultural icon. She is a successful singer and actress, with a multi-million dollar perfume and clothing line. YES, she is a GREAT role model for her kids.

September 20, 2013 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

As she claims to be a christian, there is something wrong with that. She is either lying about her faith or proudly spitting in the face of god. Either way she's deservingly going to hell.

September 20, 2013 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

"Cultural icon" you've gotta be f-cking kidding right!? HAHAHAHAHA!!! Yeah "Let's get Loud" changed history! you fool!

September 20, 2013 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Cristina

You are the fool, you are all over the comments swearing and ranting like a lunatic. You took a mistake from someone else's life way too personal. I suppose you're perfect right? And in the same limelight you would never in the ever look bad in the eyes of millions of judgemental people? Get over yourself loser. And fyi, Forbes named her the most powerful latina entertainer on the planet, her remix album was in the guiness book of world records, she received the legend award for outstanding contribution to the arts at the WORLD music awards, her list of accomplishments goes on and on and it speaks for its' self. So just keep on swearing and calling her the B word, you're only proving that you wish you could be as classy as her. Why don't you go find the next celebrity to spend your day bashing. You obviously have nothing better to do.

September 20, 2013 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

I never called her the B word for starters. And No I am not perfect, but I still wouldn't accept millions of dollars in BLOOD money from a CORRUPT DICTATOR!!! I dont give a sh!t how many "guiness world records" or "world music awards" she has – she is not talented, she is a greedy, mean, hateful person and I am sorry she has fooled you into thinking she is something more. You don't know her personally, so I wouldnt be so sure if I were you. A lot of undeserving peoploe are showered in awards only because they are already rich and famous. Those awards = Sh!T

September 20, 2013 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  7. M.A.P.

If she ever tours Europe again there will be picket lines outside her concerts demanding she repay the fees she received from corrupt government and business officials from eastern europe. What an absolute disgrace! As if she doesn't have enough money already! She needs to acceept corrupt money from some of the poorest developing countries in the world? Ignorance or greed?

September 6, 2013 at 4:13 am | Report abuse |
  8. Williams

"Since Jennifer Lopez’s performance at Turkmen dictator Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov’s birthday celebration on June 29, 2013, the media has been saturated with stories about Turkmenistan and 'J.Lo.' Lopez publicist Mark Young responded to the media outrage, declaring 'had there been knowledge of human rights issues of any kind, Jennifer would not have attended,'" HRF notes.

List of the 5 performances to Easter European Dictators the Jlo forgot to tell the public she did know her dictators friend were bad men?

• In July 2011, Lopez was paid $1 million by corrupt Uzbek industrialist Azam Aslanov to perform at the wedding of his son. One of the guests at the wedding was Chechen dictator Ramzan Kadyrov. Prior to this, Lopez was paid $1.4 million to perform at the birthday celebration in Moscow of a businessman engaged in widely reported acts of corruption: Russian oligarch Telman Ismailov.
    ◦ In September 2012, Lopez was booked by the dictatorship of Azerbaijan to perform at a FIFA soccer tournament. The fee was reportedly $2.5 million. While in the capital city of Baku, Lopez’s representatives met with the dictator’s wife and began negotiating a contract to put together a music festival in Azerbaijan in partnership with Los Angeles-based Creative Artists Agency. The event was initially planned for September 2013 but has been rescheduled to 2014.
    ◦ In October 2012, Lopez traveled to Belarus, the only dictatorship in Europe, where she performed a leg of her world tour. Details of her stay in Minsk and her engagements are not public record, and the Lopez team has ignored requests for comment on the matter.
    ◦ In November 2012, Lopez traveled to Russia, where she was scheduled to sing happy birthday to Alexander Yolkin, a Russian bureaucrat accused of corruption. Yolkin was arrested the day before Lopez’s performance at his birthday party. Russian media claim that the reported $2 million paid to Lopez was the product of kickbacks and bribery schemes. It is not known if Lopez returned the fee.

Seem Jlo is a compulsive liar when it comes to telling the truth?

September 5, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Meh

Awww dont worry about it, you hot little spanish girl...you still cant sing. Dont be confused in thinking that selling records and talent become intertwined.
    I would still knock the bottom out of you but please dont sing unless its "ohh Si si si si si si ohhh si si si si si" over and over

September 5, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. MARK

I like Jennifer Lopez, but she made a very big mistake with that performance, and using "I'm only human" That's about the lamest excuse a "star" can give. By the way, your handlers, management, etc. are all greedy morons for participating with you on this. Also, since everyone else is putting in their two cents – Jennifer, you can't sing! But then again, most of your contemporaries can't sing either. You're all just "product"

September 5, 2013 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  11. Smith

First of all “Shame on Fox’s Entertainment Kevin Reilly , American Idol-Executives and their Sponsors, Ford Motor Company, Coca-Cola Company and AT&T Inc. for choosing as represented for their show that as direct ties with Eastern European Dictators that kills helpless men, women and children? The same Eastern European Dictators that the United States is going to war with in Syria? The same person-Jennifer Lopez that has already received 10 million for her performance over the last several years, according to the Human Rights Foundation: Read a statement from the foundation:
    “What those covering this story have missed is that J.Lo and her management have misled her fans and the public,” said HRF president Thor Halvorssen. “J.Lo has repeatedly mingled with and entertained some of the world’s worst thugs and their cronies. The ‘Jenny-from-the-block-who-doesn't-Google’ clarification may be credible in one instance, but it beggars belief in light of a pattern of repeated behavior. This is not about ignorance, it’s about greed”

JLo again trying to mislead the world that she made a mistake, but kept all the 10 million? According the Human Rights Foundation, this wasn’t the first time Jlo performed to Eastern Europeans dictator’s, she has been doing it for years, she just got caught this time and was expose to the world.
    Now Jlo thinks she can get away from the truth by saying anything say wants to the public because she just landed one of the biggest job in her career in Hollywood with American Idol, so in her mind she untouchable no one can bring her down, is what she told Cosmetology Magazine in the October issue.

What JLo doesn't understand, Idol is not the powerhouse show anymore, and now that the truth was been expose, all the Human Rights, Women Rights, and all the organizations in the world are going after (boycott) Jennifer Lopez, and all the sponsors related to Fox’s Entertainment, American Idol, and all the other entertainment companies affiliated with American Idol, like KISS FM-Ryan Seacrest and other that sponsor American Idol. Jennifer Lopez is going to have to realize the she has just become just as evil as her dictators friends?

Read the complete story from the Human Rights Foundation

September 5, 2013 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  12. M.A.P.

YES J-LO you made a TERRIBLE MISTAKE!! Now if you are really sorry for accepting millions from a dictator whilst the citizens of that country live in POVERTY with NO ASSISTANCE from their government, perhaps you could DONATE that blood money to a charity to show you really mean it. Oh wait, I forgot, Jlo is a self serving greedy b!tch with no soul.

September 5, 2013 at 3:11 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

I can't believe she used the "I'm only human" defense on this!!! F U J-Lo!!!!!!!!! Yes we all make mistakes... but not getting on a airplane, flying to a country to receive millions to perform for a DICTATOR!! How could she not know? Is she and her staff unable to do a quick google search on the country/leader she is performing for? Pathetic excuse from a pathetic "human being" if you can call this piece of sh!t human.

September 5, 2013 at 4:36 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

The only thing worst than a tyrant dictator is the dumb rich bimbo from a richer country accepting millions from that tyrant dictator and then claiming she had no idea. She is dirt. As if she didn't have enough money already. AND she refuses to donate the blood money.

September 5, 2013 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  13. CARRIE

YOU ARE RIGHT JLO, YOU CAN'T SING!!!! YOU GOT THAT ONE RIGHT AT LEAST SINCE YOU CANT GET YOUR MAN SITUATION RIGHT, GOING THROUGH 7 OR 8 IS BIENG A GREAT "ROLE MODEL"

September 5, 2013 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
  14. bp

Put your money where your mouth is – does she intend to return the exorbitant fee she received for that gig? Any guesses?

September 5, 2013 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  15. maria

Role model? really? specially for your kid.... an young man around your little children ,how many man have we count in your life the ones we know had been 7 or 8? boy this woman had been busy indeed? and talking about her voice you right JLO you can't sing indeed!

September 4, 2013 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cristina

Life goes on after divorce, and obviously Marc trusts this man around his kids, so what business is it of YOURS to question it and criticize her for it? It's hilarious when people that can't spell or use proper grammar try to insult someone. You only made yourself look stupid.

September 20, 2013 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  16. Well JLO50's

secret is out of the bag!

September 4, 2013 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  17. jujubeans

Luckiest 26 year old I've seen!

September 4, 2013 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Peace ☮

Awww, wasn't that nice of her to say that she's seen as a role model? As Go Jlo says, "go girl".

September 4, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  19. palintwit

Bristol Palin's next novel should be hitting bookstore shelves soon. Her recent memoirs about her life as a drunk, pregnant teenager sold an astounding 1,500 copies and buoyed by this success she has worked very hard to write the sequel. Her adoring public expects no less because after all, the Palin family is known for not resting on their laurels as well as not being quitters..... go girl !!!!!!

September 4, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Go Jlo!!!!

45 years old, big hair, greatd body, microphone near mouth, singing her head off and dancing her azz off..... go girl!!!!!

September 4, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • jujubeans

and she's got a lot of azz to dance off! ( v )

September 12, 2013 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cristina

She's amazingly beautiful for her age, she still looks young and in shape. You can tell she's still young at heart, and I'm happy for her. I could only hope to be as happy and beautiful as her when I'm in my 40's.

September 20, 2013 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

She may look ok, but her ugliness shows from the inside. What a greedy selfish, horrible person.

September 20, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  21. cindy

Put it back in your pants, Dick!

September 12, 2013 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |