Jack Nicholson may or may not be retired
September 4th, 2013

Jack Nicholson may or may not be retired

If Jack Nicholson has decided to put his acting career behind him, he apparently doesn't want anyone to know about it.

On Wednesday, conflicting reports indicated that the 76-year-old Oscar winner has either retired from performing - or is still in the business and simply waiting for his next great project. Nicholson's rep has not yet responded to CNN's requests for comment.

According to RadarOnline, Nicholson has "quietly retired" and has "no plans to appear in films again," based on the insight from a "well-placed Hollywood film insider."

This insider added that the primary reason was the actor's memory: “Quite frankly, at 76, Jack has memory issues and can no longer remember the lines being asked of him," the source said.

Nicholson, whose 55-year career includes classics like "Easy Rider," "Chinatown," "The Shining," "A Few Good Men" and "The Departed." The last time Nicholson graced the big screen was in the 2010 Reese Witherspoon movie, "How Do You Know." That role came three years after his starring role with Morgan Freeman in "The Bucket List," so perhaps the actor is just spacing things out in his older years.

NBC's Maria Shriver said as much to E! News, calling the rumors "100 percent false." An anonymous source close to the actor added that he's "actively reading scripts and looking forward to his next project."

NBC Nightly News later tweeted "Despite rumors, Jack Nicholson isn't retiring from acting and is not suffering from memory loss, spokesman tells NBC News."

We'll have to wait for Nicholson to weigh in, but we do know this - the Oscar winner did seem awfully sprightly when he was flirting with Jennifer Lawrence earlier this year:

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. changehisdiaper

He's 76... He retired 11 years ago... duh... Now change his flippin diaper... it stinks... geezus...

September 9, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. niceshot

Could they have selected a GOOFIER shot of old Jack? Man... no mercy... lol

September 9, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. OldActorsHomeApplication

"All work and no play makes Jack forget his lines... Here's Johnny..." Isn't there an old actors home in Hollyweird for this has-been? Who cares? Now... BOMB SYRIA already... what are you waiting for...

September 9, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. see

I knew this would happen.

September 9, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. OldCreeper

Memory loss at his age is normal. I too forget... forget... I forgot what my point was...

September 9, 2013 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. losersActMenDo

This "actor" is living proof it's all about whom you blow. Talentless. Immoral. Akin to the likes of Deniro and Pacino... two other actors who sold out Italians for hate film revenue. A bunch of soulless losers.

September 9, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jack

Im not gonna hurt ya...Im just gonna bash your brains in

September 6, 2013 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  8. M.A.P.

Jack Nicholson is funny.

September 5, 2013 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • John

Referring to your post below, MAP, you actually seriously think that your endless "poop" responses are in any way political!?! That's the most inane things I've read on the internet today. Maybe if you and your audience were, say, eight years old, that might be so, but the truth really is that you're just a sad little negative nobody who is entirely unable to communicate any real thoughts or opinions in a simple, passably-intelligent way, so you reduce your comments to what I imagine to be the exact substance floating around in that otherwise empty head of yours.

September 6, 2013 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A:P.

No, John I dont. They are immature posts that are disgusting and I apologize endlessly for them. I know how much this blog means to you and your cyber-bully gang, so I will never post anythiong remotely to do with that subject ever again. Congratulations on restricting my speach.

September 6, 2013 at 4:18 am | Report abuse |
  9. Larry White

At 76 a little memory loss is not uncommon. I am 69 and experience some memory loss myself. I wouldn't call it a disability, just a small problem that adds 'buy package of post its to my shopping list. I suspect we both burned a few brain cells in our younger years.

September 5, 2013 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
    • mack

Might be more than a little memory loss there, pal. If you have to write "buy package of post its" on your list instead of just "post its". Are you asking yourself why you wrote "post its" on your list otherwise? :)

September 5, 2013 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

At least he can operate a computer.

September 5, 2013 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Don

Miss M. A. P. That be a good one and u dint talk about p o o p. lMAO

September 5, 2013 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

My poop comments are only placed on articles that I find to be about something so pathetic it doesn't deserve a real comment. It is a political statement. Sorry if you didn't get that.

September 5, 2013 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Don

You dint get me. I liked that comment. You be funni when yous want.

September 5, 2013 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  10. SpamPatrol

Your friend lied. They're all rich old whimps... who want their diapers changed after she washes their butt cracks... "Is it clean?", they ask. Your friend wants to kill herself.

September 9, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |