Beyonce: No performance in Kazakhstan
September 3rd, 2013

Beyonce: No performance in Kazakhstan

A rep for Beyonce has set the record straight regarding reports she performed this past weekend for a relative of Kazakhstan’s president.

According to The New York Times rapper Kanye West gave a performance as part of the wedding celebration of the grandson of President Nursultan Nazarbayev. British publication "The Independent" reported that "Human Rights Watch has singled out Kazakhstan for its 'serious and deteriorating human rights situation.'" West has not spoken publicly about the alleged performance.

When reports started surfacing that Beyonce had also performed, the singer's rep explained that there was no way she could have been there as she was headlining husband JAY Z's "Made In America" concert which he hosted with Budweiser in Philadelphia.

"She was in the US as the headliner at the Made In America Festival last Saturday in Philadelphia then spent the weekend in Philly to attend the festival on Sunday," her spokesperson said.

Filed under: Beyonce • Celebrities • Kanye West

« Previous entry
  1. Arker

..............M.A.P for you man!!! i am not paid by goverment as you think. I say more to u that I also criticizing my goverment. I `m sorry when i read comments from west countries that people in kazakhstan live poor and don`t free..... Yes we have problems as others countries. I respect american people...but what happens last 3-5 yers in the USA....it is awful. many incidents of shooting by young people. Just come and shoot ordinary people who were going watch the film in the cinema.....cause he think he is a film hero man with a gun. ........
    I`m not going argue. It just my opinion .

September 6, 2013 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

I totally agree with you – I am anti gun. I do not believe it is a "god given right" to have a gun and I think the mass shootings in America are more brutal and frequent than other countries (I am not a US citizen or resident). I do not mean to offend you or diss your country, I'm sure there are many good things about KZ and it is improving, however I still do not think it is appropriate for Kanye to accept a large fat paycheck from the political class in that country. They should be spending their money on improving conditions for citizens like YOU!

September 8, 2013 at 5:15 am | Report abuse |
  2. Arker

o my god!!! what i see?!! there is a few people who belive that Republic of kazakhstan its a poor and non democratic country. I am a citizen of Kazakhstan. I have to say .....all negative states(stories) about dictator president, that there are no human rights......it is not true. Our people live ok and feels comfortable themself. there are many nationals who were born and live in Kz. we kazakh people treat them with respects and love. They like our seconds brothers .
    I love this country.....where i can visit my friends with out any invitation.....relaxing drinking hot tea and discussing the native, world problem.
    i get my pardon for my english!!!

September 6, 2013 at 3:28 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

Well it's lovely that YOU are enjoying YOURSELF in Kazakhstan, however you are not the only citizen of that coutnry and many people are living below the poverty line there. Observer group Freedom House ranks this former Soviet state with a 6 in Political Rights and a 5 in Civil Liberties (scale of 1-7; 1 is the highest), denoting it as "Not Free." Wikipedia "Human rights in Kazakhstan. I trust wikipedia and non-profit human rights organizations over an annonymous post ion marquee blog. You could be paid by the government to post that sh!t.

September 6, 2013 at 4:16 am | Report abuse |
  3. Marrill

I click abuse from mac machine all day long.

September 4, 2013 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. fdgdfgvbnvbncvb

Unbelievable~~wow~~~My friend Lynn has just announced her wedding with a handsome rich men They met through~~ ~SeekingRichMen. Com ~~The largest dating site for meeting successful singles. the place to meet millionaires for fun, romance and relationships. Meet and chat instantly with millionaires from all over the world with instant messenger system!!! hope you will like it.
    We have a large database of personal ads from singles seeking for dating, love, marriage or friendship. fdgdf

September 4, 2013 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sherri

We have some serious spammers on this site. Click 'report abuse' every time you see their posts. Maybe we can get them off for good. One is advertising a dating site, every day, on every story on this site.

September 4, 2013 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Claudio

Giving a free pass to Kanye West, who did take money to sing two days ago at the Kazakh capital, Almaty, for the dictator's kid's wedding? Calling the totalitarian dictator an elected ruler is a joke, after a 23-year autocratic rule punctuated with human rights abuses. I notice also that Beyonce and Kanye perform for the American totalitarian dic tator 0bama who spies on his citizen's every communication, ignores laws he doesn't like, and invents laws he wants.

September 4, 2013 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

Tell that to the "proud" YaleMom below. some people are so naiive! Just like Putin is a "democratically" elected president. Yeah – my a$$ he is.

September 4, 2013 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Oh really?

@Claudio Your words-" I notice also that Beyonce and Kanye perform for the American totalitarian dic tator 0bama who spies on his citizen's every communication, ignores laws he doesn't like, and invents laws he wants."
      First off, the spying thing started under your god George Bush. I would like you to name just a few laws he ignors and invents as he wants. Easy to post something stupid with no facts to back your statement up.

September 4, 2013 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Delmar

Obama is the best President ever, he's been paying my rent, my health insurance, my cell phone and for my food for almost 5 years now, I love Obama, I wish he could be President for life just like Robert Mugabe, he is the President of Zimbabwe and everyone knows how well that country is run.

September 4, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • lol

Give it up Sokman/Delmar. We all know it's you. Nobody posts an anti Obama post like you do. Here's a thought. Join some right wing hate group. You will fit right in.

September 5, 2013 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  7. M.A.P.

All performers who take themselves seriously should sign a contract to promise they will never perform for dictators in some of these countries. Beyonce has already previously played for Gadaahfi and relatives of Castro. She is a clueless eeediot for doing so. Losing respect for any of these celebs that simply dont care where their millions come from as other people starve and are sent to jail for nothing. Nice work, B.

September 4, 2013 at 6:31 am | Report abuse |
  8. M.A.P.

What the hell is wrong with these celebrities? Have they no souls whatsoever? Kanye West's latest album is all about repression and corruption, inequality and racism. Then he goes and plays for a dictator in a country where hundreds of thousdands live in constant fear? What a pathetic loser. I will not be listening to him anymore. He's as stoopid as J-Lo. SH_AME!!!

September 4, 2013 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
    • YaleMom

Except that Kazakhstan is not a dictatorship, and Nazarbaev was elected -and re-elected, and yet again...- democratically.
      Living conditions in that country have improved tremendously since the fall of the USSR. Sure, there's corruption, but certainly less than many other countries I have been to such as Mexico, Turkey, Romania or Nigeria.
      Have you even been to Kazakhstan? Or are you only basing your opinions on what you saw in 'Borat'? FYI, it was a SATIRICAL movie, featuring not one Kazakh person and partially filmed in Romania....

September 4, 2013 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

Ok so have YOU been to Kazakhstan YaleMom? I doubt it. If you think it is such a fantastic country with fair elections (Mugabe was also "democratically" re-elected recently if you go by that morale) then please feel free to invest all your money there and buy a property. I will continue to believe FACTS presented by non-profit human rights organisations over propoganda from the Kazak government. And yes, I know that Borat was a satyrical film. I love Sacha Baron Cohen.

September 4, 2013 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |