Dave Chappelle walks off stage during Hartford show
August 30th, 2013

Dave Chappelle walks off stage during Hartford show

The joke was on the audience at Dave Chappelle's Hartford, Connecticut stand-up show Thursday night.

The returning comedian was in the middle of a performance when he detoured to chastise the audience for being so noisy. When the spectators responded to his set with jeers and boos, Chappelle felt compelled to drop the mic and walk off.

"Alright, you guys," he said as he made his exit. "I like some of you, I hate some of you. I forgive some of you, but I don't forgive all of you."

As the boos got louder, he cracked, "You guys have totally ruined my chances for running for Congress or something. Thank you. Good night."

[Editor's Note: The videos below contain strong language.]

The only thing that seemed to marginally silence the crowd was the sound of Kanye West's "New Slaves" that blasted as Chappelle walked off.

CNN's reached out to Chappelle for comment, but has yet to hear back. The comedian was right about one thing: "(I'm) going to have to read about this s*** for months."

Filed under: Celebrities

1. The only comedy is the bimbo in shtoaramus

You never win with 50....especially on a lie and you get no respect from me because your a felon and we find you no example too women...we want women with spark we do not want these types of females setting examples too decent women out there. We want spark, we want great women, we do not want bully bimbos around, they cramp our style of good quality women...we do not want too be in a category like your types. We shine and we stand out and that is what we feel is the right way.

Your way is the bimbo style ... we do not follow bimbos we follow quality females. We want men too understand that we are good women and your not our kind.

September 28, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. m french

"The returning comedian was in the middle of a performance". That was a performance? The only thing he did was show up.

September 28, 2013 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. unknown11

Gees. I could not listen to the whole thing. They guy had no act. He was just rambling. He put zero work into his "art" and it is obvious.

September 13, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris G

Yeah it was horrible and I am a huge fan of his.....if you don't want the crowd to talk, do not ask them questions

September 24, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sam

Honestly he got paid to tell jokes. The audience didn't want to hear it. Everyone says they'd do this or do that if they had the chance but honestly fighting with a crowd is not worth the time and effort. Like arguing on the internet. Nobody wins. Good for you Dave, Come to McAllen Texas! We'd love to have u perform!

September 4, 2013 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  5. The Reverend Shal Arpton

The brotha's not funny any way.

September 4, 2013 at 6:31 am | Report abuse |
    • dj4life

hes the funniest comedian right now next to Kevin Hart, so please stop lying to yourself.

September 4, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Eric

Well played Dave. If people in the audience are going to be rude, who cares if they get mad. You should've went for the gusto. If I were you, I would've taken it further. I would have came back on stage. pulled up a chair, put my headphones on and ate a sandwich. Then a couple days later, sent a picture to CNN of me chilling on a tropical beach with the tag line "Thanks CT for buying me a great vacation!".

September 3, 2013 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. alucarD

hmmm typical...get paid to do a job and end up not doing it.

September 3, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. M.A.P.

Seems like he can dish it out but not take it. He could've turned the whole situation around and made it a part of his performance, but then again Im giving him too much credit. He is talentless as a comedian.

September 3, 2013 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  9. For the Record

I am from CT and would never boo somebody because I have a heart. I can't stand rude obnoxious people.

September 2, 2013 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  10. kelsiebctbs

Reblogged this on BlackGirlPhiladelphia.

September 1, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. maria

I am soo happy he left the audience this idiots still spending money on this men? he is not funny at all .... how come you spend your time and money with this obnoxious loser? this gay get pays to talk to the audience? outrageous! but they deserve they promote him and make him rich what a idiots!

September 1, 2013 at 4:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Morgan

Learn how to speak English. You sound like idiots.

September 2, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bri

Maria is probably a perfect example of the make up of the audience.....completely illiterate and clueless about proper conduct in a public venue. Dave Chappelle has always been a funny comedian, but he is getting sick of the scene he obviously feels trapped in. Make some investments, Dave, and get some NEW FRIENDS. Walk away forever!

September 23, 2013 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris G

So if you PAY for someone to make you a sandwich and they come back with a bottle of water, you should just suck it up and be thankful? No better yet, people will insult you simply because you complained?

Also when you are READING someones comment they are not SPEAKING.

September 24, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Autumn Light Films

Good for you Dave. When will people realize that a comedy set is not an interactive performance art piece? Sit in your seat, laugh where appropriate and save your opinions and comments for your friends gathered around the table at Denny's after the show. Tell that sh!$ to your moons over my hammy.

August 31, 2013 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. cabinr

You can't compare this to Pryor, Dave. He knew he was off his game, invited everyone back the next day, and gave his fans what they payed for.

August 31, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Liquidswords

I was there. Chappelle told zero jokes. he had nothing going on that is why he got booed off the stage. Us CT people dont put up with bs like this. we all paid good money to see him and all he did was talk to the crowd for 15-20, so we booed him off the stage. I didnt laugh once during his set. this was nothing like killing em softly or for what it's worth

August 30, 2013 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. John

Good for Dave. The obnoxious people are slowly moving out from behind the safety of their internet anonymity and going live with their obnoxiousness.

August 30, 2013 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy

True. Notice how they want to cry foul. Any artist should be able to perform without being insulted.

August 31, 2013 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  16. Len

I don't appreciate you or your intellect.

September 1, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Scout talent

Gumball is correct, who cares what you think, Len. Pay money to enjoy a show? It's all wasted if the crowd is as Gumball describes. But I wouldn't pay to see Chappelle.

September 1, 2013 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |