'New' music from Paul McCartney: Take a listen
August 29th, 2013

'New' music from Paul McCartney: Take a listen

The title of Paul McCartney's latest single says it all.

The former Beatle has given fans a taste of his new album with a fresh single helpfully called "New."

The album, also titled "New," will arrive on October 15.

Produced by Mark Ronson, the Guardian thinks the track "sounds very much like you would expect a Paul McCartney single produced by Mark Ronson to sound - which as it turns out is quite a good thing."

We find it a little ironic that a song so reminiscent of a vintage sound is titled "New," but this upcoming disc will be McCartney's first new studio offering since 2007.

Billboard reports that in addition to Ronson, McCartney's also worked with Paul Epworth, Giles Martin and Ethan Johns.

What do you think of "New"?

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. ffgfgfvbvbvvcvvcb

… Unbelievable…wow… My friend Maggie has just married to a handsome wealthy man. They met through ~ ~SeekingRichMen.Com~~ They told me it is a Specialist millionaire dating for rich single s seeking relationships, friendships, dating ,love and more.. So, if you want to look for people with which you can date, you are at the right place.You can meet(lawyers,busy professionals, benefactors. models, celebrities, etc….)If you are single, perhaps you can have a try. fdgsdf

September 3, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. carey

One of the greatest singer-songwriters of pop music – ever – and he is still making music, still playing concerts, still vital. He has never been content to play his old music, although his catalog of back tunes is incredible. Paul has answered his own question: "Will you still need me...when I'm 64?" The answer is yes, and for long after as well. Keep rocking, Paul.

September 1, 2013 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  3. Walter Westover

The Beatles made the best music of the 60's generation. As a package the best selling music of all time. Paul was always the prolific one. To this day he has a huge group of followers. I find it fitting that as the true surviving member of the fab 4 he still has the gumption and drive to make music.

The "edge" to his voice has faded, but the edge was just one of his early skills.Paul never needed John to have an edge. If you don't believe it go back and listen to Helter Skelter or I'm Down.

"New" is an example of that melodic quality that helped make the Beatles palatable and loved by the masses. From the Man who gave is Yesterday, Shes's leaving home, Michelle, Let It Be, Hey Jude, When I'm 64 and so many many more we have something "New" Yes, it still has that ring from the past, but it would not be Paul if it didn't. The up coming album isn't likely to be a smash, times have changed. Yet, for so many of us that grew up listening to Paul's music this new release is bound to be a real treat.

If your tired, bored, and worn out with McCartney maybe your just tired worn out and bored yourself. If you just hate McCartney that's ok too it's certainly your privilege.

August 30, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

Wow, were you paid to write that or did you just copy it from the press release?

September 3, 2013 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. I love Paul

he was always the cutest beatle.

August 30, 2013 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  5. Boo

The song is good but Paul needs John's "bite." His greatest work was when he was working with John,.

August 30, 2013 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
    • M.

Paul is going to have john's bit very soon.

August 30, 2013 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Boo's Back

i'm sorry I mean't bite

August 30, 2013 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Graham

Yeah, thank goodness he had John around to give the requisite 'edge' to songs like these: http://youtube.com/watch?v=5LKtfP3ubaM

Oh wait, that's from six years after they broke up. Hmmm...

August 30, 2013 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Paul

the man his music...those other 3 beatles are dead right?

August 30, 2013 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  7. Phil

It's a grower. First time I heard it, i though, "that's all right." Then I listened a few more times and though, "huh, that's really good." Now I'm hooked. How does McCartney manage to release a song that seems like it's always existed. Neat bass line and harmonies on this too. And the last 30 seconds are excellent.

August 29, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Angie

Macca has been producing great solo work for the past decade. His 2005 Chaos and Creation album is terrific, and his 2008 Electric Arguments album is even better. So I was hoping this new one would be strong, too. And if this song is any indication, it is. It's quintessential Macca, and that's a good thing. (Why Lennon obsessives feel the need to come on to a Macca story and say they preferred Lennon, is beyond me. Who cares? He's dead. And John' solo work was weak anyway.)

August 29, 2013 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marcus

Angie, well said indeed, I have been listening to New since yesterday and I just love it, you are right saying that since Chaos in 2005 when I went to The Cavern to hear a playback on the day of release he has turned out a consistent run of great albums that just haven't been the big sellers they should have been. Really looking forward to the new album.

August 30, 2013 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Graham

I was right with you until you veered off into an attack on John Lennon's solo career.

Much of Lennon's solo career was excellent; Paul McCartney hardly needs anybody to inveigh against Lennon's reputation in order to protect his own; and it's not Lennon's fault that some of his posthumous fans are morons. (We all know the "Lennon was the talent in the band, McCartney's a hack" crowd wouldn't have anything good to say about Lennon either if he were still alive.)

August 30, 2013 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sister

Has been

August 29, 2013 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lee

And what have you done besides be a boring cowardly troll attacking someone behind your anonymity?

August 29, 2013 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Lee

Shut up already with the "what have you done" crap. It doesn't matter. The fact is this blowhole has been cranking out medicre junk for decades. The only thing that keeps him in the spotlight is his past in The Beatles. John Lennon and George Harrison, may they RIP, were the true talents in that group. This fossil needs to quietly retire and eat his veggies in seclusion.

August 30, 2013 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  10. Drew

Jaunty little tune that gets into your head, and feels like you already know it. Great song, and I hope the rest of the album sounds this fresh and lively.

August 29, 2013 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Matt

I agree Mari. Without Lennon to shake the "niceness" out of him, I need a shot of insulin prior to listening to his music.

August 29, 2013 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. MariJoy

Typical McCartney – "too poppy" for my taste.

August 29, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. mike

My first date was to a Beatles concert in 1966, Washington DC baseball stadium, only $6.00....those were the days!!

August 29, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • jp

$6 was expensive, I only paid $3 but in re. to this song, its pleasant enough to grow on you, what strikes me is the drummer in the video with a tie. What the heck? a tie? why in the world would you be wearing a tie as a drummer?
      Rocknroll is not about ties! Why would any drummer in a rocknroll band want to be wearing a tie around his neck?
      Was he wearing a tie when he applied for the gig? He's not a businessman (well maybe off stage..) but please, lose it.. I don't want to be reminded of the office when I'm listening to band on the run..

August 30, 2013 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  14. Paul

was always the hottest beatle.

August 29, 2013 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jp

you need to get a job. (hint : spamming on cnn is not it)

August 30, 2013 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  16. jp

you're friend Emily is a loser and they will soon be divorcing. Stop spamming on here!

August 30, 2013 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  17. BackDrop

don't worry this is not a real dating service

August 30, 2013 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |