Eminem's 'Berzerk': What's the verdict?
August 27th, 2013

Eminem's 'Berzerk': What's the verdict?

Eminem slyly rolled out an announcement in the middle of the MTV VMAs on Sunday, revealing that he had a new single dropping in roughly 24 hours and a new album arriving in mere weeks.

So for those who've been starved for new Slim Shady, Tuesday was a very good day.

At midnight, Eminem unveiled "Berzerk," the first single off his upcoming disc, "MMLP2," or "The Marshall Mathers LP 2." (The fact that this appears to be a continuation of 2000's "The Marshall Mathers LP" is only further reason to celebrate.)

But on "Berzerk," you're not going to find a sonic throwback to "Marshall Mathers" as much as a nod to the Beastie Boys. With Rick Rubin and Dr. Dre producing - the duo, in fact, co-produced the entirety of "MMLP2" - "Berzerk" wants to take us "back to straight hip-hop and start it from scratch" while sampling Billy Squier's "The Stroke."

[Editor's Note: The audio below contains explicit language.]

"The song isn't sinister and slinky, like the best material on the original 'Marshall Mathers LP.' It's a loud, brash and quick tune," the Los Angeles Times says in its review. "The song works because, lest we forget, Eminem is a phenomenally gifted pure MC. ... It's all high-energy block party material, meant for a rapper who can deliver a relentless torrent of words, and quickly."

Lyrically, Em is back to his old habits when it comes to slaying celebrities - one jab is interpreted as being directed at Khloe Kardashian - but he also doles out daps "to his rap brethren, including Kendrick Lamar, Birdman, Dre's old N.W.A. buddy MC Ren and Public Enemy" on the "loose and playful" track, MTV notes.

Grantland picked up on a lighter, less somber Em, too, pointing out that while his "lead singles are almost always hyper and technicolor, rarely ... has he sounded like he's having this much fun."

What's your verdict on "Berzerk"? "The Marshall Mathers LP 2" arrives November 5.

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. Josh Farmer

Em is the only white rapper capable of actually BEING a rapper. I love it..."set the bar low." He doesn't have stupid rhymes like 'blue due clue stew," either. :)

August 29, 2013 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Veronica

This is the Eminem I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, can't stop listening to the song. Can't wait for the album!

August 29, 2013 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  2. Evel Knievel

Can wiggers swim or are they afraid of pools too?

August 28, 2013 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • I Dunno...

You tell us, wigger. Or are you actually white trailer trash?

August 28, 2013 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. SpaceBound

Slim Shady is back! Quality rap music will once again be heard on MMLP2. He'll easily overshadow Kanye and Jay Z's albums this year, I just hope it blows Drake's out of the water.

August 28, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Eminem fan

I liked it! Is it his best? No, but will still be a hit. Cant wait to hear the rest of his CD. My whole family loves Eminem and my son knows the words to every song so far!

August 28, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rapsucksass

Rapsucksass

August 28, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Germain

Half of his hits have other songs sampled, I don't get that, can't you be original Marshal?? You get a catchy beat and you realize, OH yeah, I loved that song 20 years ago. That goes for you too Black Eye Peas, sampling a great song does not make yours as good.

August 28, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. my two cents

Back in the late nineties when I first saw Marshal Mathers being interviewed on MTV, I had never heard of him. At that time I had no respect for hip hop as an art form. I had even less respect for this bleach blond kid on MTV when the first words I heard come out of his mouth were "I can't help it that I'm white, yo. That ain't my fault."

A few weeks later my girlfriend at the time asked me if I had heard of eminem and I provided her with my opinion of the little bleach blond punk I had seen on MTV complaining about the color of his skin. No, no you really have to hear this, she replies. She then slipped the Slim Shady LP into her car stereo and turned on a track called "My Fault". That song made me laugh so hard I almost pizzzed myself. After having the opportunity to listen to the entirely of that album as well as all of his albums released since then, I became a huge fan of Marshal Mathers. I also gained enough of an appreciation of hip hop as an art form that I allowed myself the opportunity to become a fan of several other very talented rappers too.

August 28, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mysticalchic

at first i didn't like it, but it kind of grew on me as the song went on. it's not his best though. he is a genious at rapping. but tupac was the best ever!!!

August 28, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sean Torres

gosh I like the flow as always (eminem is a beast mc) but I am not feeling the beat or chorus it sounds disjointed...overall thumbs down...

August 28, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Woody

I liked it...makes me want to hear the rest of the CD.

August 28, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. dillweed7

Like a pile of poop on top of a pile of garbage.

August 28, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. derp

"What's the verdict"

It sucks more than the rest of the crap he has put out.

Which isn't saying much.

LOVE IT

August 27, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  16. farru

its good

August 27, 2013 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  17. James

Definitely sounds like early 'the beastie boys'. Not my tastes but it sounds like he had fun creating it.

August 27, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Slobowitz

This guy is still alive?
    Who knew?

August 27, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alexander Baker

It may not be your type of music but it's not like Eminem is a has been, he's the highest selling hip hop artist ever and in elite company as far as total records sold (in company with the likes of Guns N Roses, Metallica, Bon Jovi, Prince, Rod Stewart, etc in the 100-125 million records sold.) Regardless of your musical taste 100 million records sold is quite a feat. Not to mention his success in the movie industry with 8 mile. He's been out of the spot light and not in any trouble but being dismissive of his accomplishments in the entertainment industry like he's some flash in the pan one hit wonder is comical and uninformed.

August 27, 2013 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • stilldoingit

August 28, 2013 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

"Im sure the people who contributed to the half a billion (yes billion) views 0f mulitple music videos off his 2010 album knew.....just sayin"

Some people watch monkeys throw their poop.

August 28, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Coastalbender

Fascinating!

August 27, 2013 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Eddie

You know nothing of hip hop and he's one of the greatest and most important artists of this generation many people who know more then you and I have aggreed

August 28, 2013 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |