2013's top-earning celebrity is ...
August 26th, 2013

2013's top-earning celebrity is ...

It pays to be Madonna.

According to Forbes, the 55-year-old icon is still raking in millions, and earned enough in the past year to place her at the top of the magazine's list of the highest-earning celebrities.

For a bit of perspective, Madonna made more money in the past year than Steven Spielberg.

Yet it wasn't Madonna's 2012 release, "MDNA," that was making it rain - it was the accompanying tour. That escapade brought in $305 million, and when you count that haul on top of Madge's clothing and fragrance lines plus her investments, Forbes estimates the pop star earned $125 million between June 2012 and June 2013.

Spielberg, meanwhile, arrives in second place, having earned an estimated $100 million in the past year. Media figures Simon Cowell, Howard Stern and E.L. James are all tied for third, each making an estimated $95 million over the past 12 months.

Forbes' Celebrity 100 list is compiled using intel gathered from agents, producers, business managers and other industry insiders who can offer estimates on a star's celebrity-related income. Taxes, agent fees and the like aren't deducted from the estimate.

Interestingly enough, while Madonna made the most money on Forbes' Celebrity 100 list, she isn't the most powerful. Oprah Winfrey, despite making $77 million to Madge's $125 million, had higher scores "in metrics like press mentions and social networking power," which made her this year's most powerful celebrity.

Filed under: Celebrities • Madonna

1. John

http://goo.gl/qCQYL4 This is 100% true, You can earn upto 30,000$ this month.

October 12, 2013 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  2. Walt

Congratulations to Madonna! I am surprised to see all the hateful statements listed above; I think she has worked very hard and put up with so many negatives since she was introduced many years ago. She has been successful with changing herself to keep up with fashion changes and often set those changes. Millions of girls just want to be Madonna. I have paid thousands of dollars over many years to see her as often as possible; usually I cried (sorry to admit this, but it's true) when the concert ended). She is a tough, talented, intelligent lady, full of talent. Who cares if she has to use props to help sometimes, all big stars do that. There won't be another one like her, I'm sure. I'm so happy for her and her family that she is also financially successful, great! Lastly, Ms. "O", is another story, in my (lonely, I suspect) opinion. I do not see what so many people see in her except that she has a tremendous amount of power, weight and money. No, I am not a fan......I turn the channel every time she is on the show I am watching. Each to his own, right? Thank you, Madonna, for being an inspiration to me for so many years!

October 5, 2013 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. korgri

when a person has lots of energy
    but not all that much talent.

October 4, 2013 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  4. John

Best way to earn money online is through empowernetwork. Its very simple and easy you can earn upto 6000$ per month. here is what you need to do http://empowernetworkwithrose.com

October 3, 2013 at 2:59 am | Report abuse |
  5. Hot Carl

Madonna looks ready for the grave. Or maybe pushing a shopping cart under an overpass, down by the river.

August 28, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Homeless Bum

I'd hit it! But then again I'd hit a deat cat if it was still warm.

August 28, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Meh

Thats a lot of money for playing "pretend"

August 28, 2013 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  7. Daniel

"To rule the world." Madonna – 1984

August 27, 2013 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Buddy

I'm sure she looks a lot better than you do jujubeans...

August 27, 2013 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Cripes

And yet Howard Stern whines about having to get up early, 3 days a week. And stay up past his bedtime, during the live AGT shows. Wah wah. I'd get up early (wait, I do!) and stay up late (wait I do!) to make 1/8th of that kind of money!

August 27, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jujubeans

Madonna's not aging well. Too bad. She used to be a hot tramp.

August 26, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kris

Stage makeup isn't the best way to show a celeb, no matter the age. The shadow from her fake eyelashes lays underneath her eyes, so it looks weird.

August 27, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • jujubeans

Thanks for the explanation Kris. Now that I look again, I guess she still is hot. And yes, I'd hit it in a heartbeat!

August 28, 2013 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jujubeans

Howard Stern? What's America coming to?

August 26, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |