Actor Mark Patton speaks on being HIV positive
August 8th, 2013

Actor Mark Patton speaks on being HIV positive

If you've seen 1985's "A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge," you've seen Mark Patton.

But here's why you haven't seen him since: the openly gay actor, now 49, reveals in HIV Plus magazine that he couldn't take the homophobia he found in Hollywood.

From being told how to dress to being restricted from discussing his sexuality, Patton says the West Coast industry was far different from the theater world he got is start in back in New York. (His big break came alongside Cher and Kathy Bates in a Broadway production of "Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean," which was later adapted into a film in 1982.)

By the time he landed the "Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2" role, "AIDS was all around me. Everyone I knew was getting sick,” Patton told the magazine. Not long after, Patton was up for the role of a gay character on a major network TV series, but he says there was a stipulation that he had to play the role while telling audiences he was straight.

"I remember looking around that table and I knew every one of those men were gay. All I could think about was how everyone I knew was dying from AIDS and we were having this bulls*** conversation," the actor recalled. "My heart just broke and that was the line for me. I knew I would never be able to do what they were asking, so I walked away from Hollywood and decided to move on to a place where it was totally acceptable to be gay.”

As he moved on to a new career as an interior decorator Patton learned that he was HIV positive, but with treatment his health began to improve. These days, after appearing in the documentary about the "Nightmare on Elm Street" movies, 2010's "Never Sleep Again," he's making a documentary about his own life.

“The only thing we’re waiting for is me. It’s not that I’m embarrassed in any way, but I’m a private person, and I have a different life now," he said. That said, "it’s my obligation to tell it the way it happened," Patton continued. "It’s a story that needs to be told. I’ve looked at my mortality, and I lived through it.”

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. The Wi Fi Game

was her and she was reported 1 hour ago. Poof

September 4, 2013 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  2. guys: see hacking updates and file her

i'm back too s-x talk...bye all

August 27, 2013 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • DW

You people are ten times worse than anything in this article. You're f%#king sick.

August 28, 2013 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Back to s-x fun

oh and back too your dysfunctional life of no ss-x with your husband...

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

August 27, 2013 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Print out all comments--- file under Has Been Hoe

thanks

August 27, 2013 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Hacking Updates as folows:

Mike from arbitration filed.
    Diego ( a blogger on cnn–guess who_
    hacked into phone texts that have nothing to do with her...I was talking too a man from new mexico.
    Illegal phone hacking
    She does not boff her husband and she bothers single people having some fun.

email when all filed

August 27, 2013 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cut the sh-t

she's filed-

August 27, 2013 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Vlad

It's legal now in the U.S., so watch your comments, or we'll ship you to The Soviet Union.

August 27, 2013 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Whoa!

amazing article!

August 27, 2013 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  9. maria

Seems to me he is very proud of being gay and having AIDS I can't believe Hollywood doesn't accept him, when Hollywood is all gay ! and everyone loves gays!

August 26, 2013 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. lemonfoundation

HIV-Negative AIDS: Is it CFIDS or AIDS?

Allied NATO Government is hiding millions of infectious NON HIV AIDS cases (like mine) under the "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)" ICD-code.

– Dr. Lorraine Day was on Riley's THE POWER HOUR (9/12): "...HIV-Negative AIDS cases falsely reported and treated as CFS cases may be one of the biggest cover-ups we have seen."

– In 1992 "...Newsweek made an even more shocking announcement: that CFS researcher Dr. Paul Cheney had in his practice 20 CFS patients who had the same immune system deficiencies as the NON-HIV AIDS cases revealed at the Amsterdam conference."

– Dr. Judy Mikovits stated on In Short Order Interview (11/12) about CFS & Myalgic Encephalopathy (ME): "…consider this as NON HIV AIDS."

Will CFIDS or AIDS ever make any progress unless we acknowledge these horrific facts?

My case goes up through the NIH, CDC, White House, WHO, to the UN. I testified federally in Washington-DC, and am published 16 times on 4 continents (including BEST GAY NEWS, PFLAG, & FUSE MAGAZINE).

E.g., http://www.ukprogressive.co.uk/the-aids-like-disease-seldom-mentioned/article20891.html

I hope that you will spread-the-news too (e.g., write a story, add to your e*Newsletter and/or post on Facebook/Twitter).

In the fight for humanity,
    k

Or simply google "NON HIV AIDS"

August 24, 2013 at 4:35 am | Report abuse |
    • kamakiriad

Loraine Day is an emotionally unstable woman that looks for fights with anyone and everyone so she can feel important. She then posts these "fights" on her website so she can pretend she is the martyr. I have seen her in action. She is a bully. She makes money off sick people by selling them books and DVDs telling them to ignore modern medicine and just eat healthy to cure cancer or AIDS. Only God knows how many people desperate for answers have followed her advice and perished, She only shows the information and test results she wants regarding her own "miracle cure" cancer, not everything like she should.

She either truly thinks she is a messenger from God, like Moses or Abraham (delusional) or she knows exactly what she is doing, and is therefor cynically harming people for money (evil).

September 4, 2013 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • The Wi Fi Game

the only one who looks bad is bimbo tek 3.

September 4, 2013 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  11. xsmokedoutx

An interior decorator!!!!!! How stereotypical!!!!! That's way too funny!!!

August 19, 2013 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  12. fran Dresher we have

and all the othters..

August 18, 2013 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  13. drew carey....we took coverage because marrygrace's name was mentioned.

thanks

August 18, 2013 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  14. Outside world machines for conference before i leave...

you did not tell me you were watching me, you took upon yourself do it without my permission.- daz a no no hoe..

doc her

August 18, 2013 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  15. What does it mean...

It means i f-cking win...

August 18, 2013 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  16. DCLEENA

This is a story that needs to be told?

Really? Really?

August 17, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  17. why would i now mention phones..when i know for over a year...

doc green post it performance win 50

August 14, 2013 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  18. lean6

So...here's where he plans to reinvent himself...rewrite his story to something other than the story of a bit actor in an 80's slasher...who happened to be gay. Now we are supposed to be inspired by his perseverance, living in relative obscurity, and his contributions to making the American movie watching past time what it is today? Yeah...mmmkay. What was his name again?

August 14, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • i would

get rid of the of that story completely and rewrite a more meaningful script

August 14, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Ok

Ok? So... It's cool to be gay with HIV? I don't get it.

August 14, 2013 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Hollyweird

No... It's okay to be gay, have HIV, and be a has-been actor from 30 years ago.

August 14, 2013 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Superb

It doesn't matter if you "get it"... he's got it. It's about him. He's got it.

August 14, 2013 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  20. vinster76

this is news???? why should we care about this at all. I am sorry I took the time to read this drivel.....

August 12, 2013 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Chris P.

how are you going around talking about HIV with sharp objects im pretty sure you kept your distance and got everyones attention.

August 12, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  22. 42

He does not trust anyone and He needs help with that–the jumping around was poor acting and he degraded himself in front of everyone. I preach all the time stop being degraded and when you return focus on not being degraded anymore.

August 11, 2013 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  23. hey

Think about what is next and avoid the disease

August 11, 2013 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  24. wessblog63

Reblogged this on wessblogdotcom and commented:
    Many people didn't know he was gay, but I did. He's a very good actor, not great, but good. He's one of the leading proponents of "The Aids Research Foundation", a good cause.

August 11, 2013 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  25. dummies 3

IT WAS DONE AT THE SALON..

August 10, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Tammy

Im glad hes telling his story. Its disgusting how Hollywood was /is so full of hypocrisy! Im glad he is doing well in his life now.

August 9, 2013 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Meh

That's a shame...
    It's cool to be g@y these days...

August 9, 2013 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  28. M.A.P.

I LOVE FREDDY KRUGER!!!! Freddy, cha cha cha, Freddy, cha cha cha.

The second one was very hom0-erotik – now I know why!

August 9, 2013 at 3:23 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

**FUN FACT**

Nightmare on Elm Street was Johnny Depp's FIRST film. Ha!

August 9, 2013 at 3:23 am | Report abuse |
  29. Just sayin

am i wrong or does this guy need a serious manicure.

August 8, 2013 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  30. TMARG

Post it performance...win...doc her

August 14, 2013 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Flooby

Since you took the time to comment it sounds like you're jealous.

August 19, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Bill

You comment makes you look like a fool. No wait, you ARE a fool.

August 21, 2013 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |