Get to know the new 'Bachelor'
August 6th, 2013

Get to know the new 'Bachelor'

Even if you're not a fan of ABC's "Bachelor" and "Bachelorette" series, you've probably heard that the network has picked its first non-white "Bachelor," Juan Pablo Galavis.

It's a significant move for the reality dating competition, because the show's never actually had a "Bachelor" or "Bachelorette" of color since it began in 2002. Last year, the network and the companies behind the shows faced a class-action lawsuit that accused the programs of racial bias.

But now, for its 18th season, ABC has tapped Galavis to be its star.

The single dad and former pro soccer player made it to the final eight of Desiree Hartsock's recent "Bachelorette" season before being eliminated, and wasn't much of a factor storyline-wise.

Yet Galavis proved to be extremely popular with the show's female fan base, and his appearance on the "Men Tell All" special (which included a friendly one-on-one chat with Chris Harrison) solidified his spot as the favorite to become the next "Bachelor."

Galavis, who just turned 32 Monday, was actually born in Ithaca, New York, before moving to Venezuela as a toddler. He came back to the States for college, and played soccer at Roberts Wesleyan before going pro.

These days, the international athlete calls Miami home, where he's focused on becoming a respected sports and music agent and being a devoted dad to his four-year-old daughter, Camila.

According to ABC, Galavis' time on "The Bachelorette" "opened his eyes to the possibility of finding a real, everlasting love," and he's "decided that he can't give up on love and on giving his daughter, Camila, what she wants more than anything else in the world – a brother and a sister to complete their family. Juan Pablo is ready and hopeful that he'll find love and the missing puzzle piece to fulfill his family here on 'The Bachelor.'"

Galavis will begin his search for a wife in January.

1. http://www.cleanitclassx.com/defauit.asp?p=116

EUGENE, Ore. Soon after close to 4 many years serving for a United states of america decide, Mike Hogan is hanging up his federal robe; Wednesday he formally retired.
    http://www.cleanitclassx.com/defauit.asp?p=116 http://www.cleanitclassx.com/defauit.asp?p=116

November 27, 2013 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kok Juan Han

Best qualified? May be. Non-white? No!!!

August 9, 2013 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  3. dfgdfertetytryry

… Unbelievable…wow… My friend Maggie has just married to a handsome wealthy man. They met through ~ ~ SèèkingRich.Çoм~~ They told me it is a Specialist millionaire dating for rich single s seeking relationships, friendships, dating ,love and more.. So, if you want to look for people with which you can date, you are at the right place.You can meet(lawyers,busy professionals, benefactors. models, celebrities, etc….)If you are single, perhaps you can have a try.f

August 7, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • George

If Juan Pablo is white, I am Barrack Obama or even better in the eyes of some...Elvis Presley!!!

August 8, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • moon627

I'[m happy to see Juan Pablo as the next bachelor. He seems like a nice sweet guy with good manners and he's got a hot bod. He looks a little cross-eyed but still cute ! :)

August 8, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Geoff

This guy is whiter than most white americans.He is just a white guy.As a white european( he look like my cousin) if this guy is not white then most white americans are not white.I am Swiss.Genetically many whites americans are not that pure.Desiree and her Chris look mediterranean to me.

January 7, 2014 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. Thad

I don't like his bro-hawk. Looks like a dbag to me.

August 7, 2013 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Firm Youngin

I do not get gay .... he wants too show off his hot young firm bod...lol

August 7, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Pliny

Any man who wears his shirt open like that is gay, and you can't tell me otherwise.

I wonder where he got it, and how much it cost?

August 7, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

I heard that you have a crush on me, Pliny. If you wear a shirt like that, I won't be accepting the proposal.

August 8, 2013 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  7. WhatsThisCrap

Are you kidding me? That guy is whiter than me and I'm a white guy.

August 7, 2013 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  8. Manny

Juan Pablo is caucasian, Hispanic is no a race. That is so ignorant to say that he's non white!

August 7, 2013 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  9. M.A.P.

I would never have guessed he is Hispanic from that picture. They certainly didn't want to venture too far from the typical white candidates they usually choose.

August 7, 2013 at 4:08 am | Report abuse |
  10. proud Hispanic

I think CNN should retract first non-white to first Hispanic. Hispanic is an ethnicity not race. He is obviously a white Hispanic. ALL of the Americas are filled with immigrants from all over the world with the exception of the native Americans. I think CNN not it wrong this time.

August 7, 2013 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Manny

That is correct!!! Juan Pablo is white! I still can't believe they called him a person of color! As you state here, Hispanic is not a race! We come in all races and cultures!

August 7, 2013 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  11. Susan

I don't think he could be any whiter. I do like how they chose a very light skinned "white" Hispanic to be on the show!! It's is all very ridiculous. By the way, Hispanic is not a race, it is an ethnicity much like being French. And how are we supposed to get over the race baiting and hate when all the media does is bring it up and sensationalize it?????/

August 6, 2013 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. CM

I find is amazing that CNN will call this guy "non-white," but George Zimmerman is referred to as a "white-Hispanic." Thanks, CNN, for picking and choosing race for some better ratings.

August 6, 2013 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lulu

They think that what makes you white is an anglo sounding name. So all of those blond blue eyes from Spain are non whites? Amazing.

August 6, 2013 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Common joe

This is news??? Wow really???

August 6, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Zax

Really? He looks white to you? Just because he's not black, he's white? The name Juan doesn't give it away? JUAN PABLO, he's definately Hispanic.

August 6, 2013 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lulu

So all those named Juan in Spain are not white? REALLY?? Just because he does not have an anglo sounding name does not mean he is not white, see the color of his skin, his features. So many stupid people.

August 6, 2013 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • SMH

Really, this is a magnificent display of ignorance, Zax. Juan Pablo is absolutely a Spanish name.. Spanish names and surnames, being as European as an Anglo-Saxon one would be, are not inherently indicative of non-whiteness. Is he Hispanic? Absolutely. Hispanic, however, is NOT a race. People from Latin America can be from ANY race, including white, like is the case with this man. But please, do continue showcasing that ignorance to the world.

August 7, 2013 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • flawless logic

I ask the same question every time someone suggests basketball great Michael Jordan is black. I mean, really? Just because he looks black? What about the name "Michael Jordan" leaves ANY doubt in people's minds that the man is ANGLO-SAXON, for crying out loud!

August 7, 2013 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Juan Pablo

so what about fernando torres the soccer star from spain? is he not white also???

August 7, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jodi

Uhhh non-white?

August 6, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  16. uh...

...he looks white to me

August 6, 2013 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  17. M.A.P.

GO back to your factory that makes cheap clothes for me.

August 7, 2013 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |
  18. M.A.P.

Can you hear that sound? *plip* *plip*, PLIP, PLOP, PLOP!????
    That's my tur-ds raining on your house. You will soon live in a mudbrick (from poo) house that smells terrible and has a fly infestation. Good luck with that you filthy pig in a Sh!t filled stall. I hope you get E-coli from my Sh!t and then you die from the infection.

August 7, 2013 at 4:47 am | Report abuse |
  19. M.A.P.

bETTER THAN BEING A PIG COVERED IN FECES LIKE YOU.

August 7, 2013 at 4:50 am | Report abuse |
  20. M.A.P.

Pigs eat human feces, that'S why I call you a pig.

August 7, 2013 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |