New 'Doctor' relieved the secret's out
August 5th, 2013

New 'Doctor' relieved the secret's out

For fans, the who in Doctor Who has been answered.

The long-running TV show has been looking for a new Time Lord to travel in the TARDIS, and now they have him. As revealed on Sunday, Peter Capaldi is the 12th actor to don the bow-tie and scarf following Matt Smith, who's moving on from battling The Master across the time continuum.

"It's so wonderful not to keep this secret any longer," Capaldi said in a live broadcast reveal on the BBC. "I haven't played Doctor Who since I was 9 on the playground."

Capaldi is a well-respected British actor who may be familiar to American audiences for his recent role in Brad Pitt's "World War Z." Funnily enough, he played a World Health Organization doctor in the zombie thriller - a.k.a., a W.H.O doctor.

The revelation of Capaldi's casting was a surprise to many, and it hasn't gone without criticism. There's a debate raging over whether the actor, at 55, may be too old to play the good Doctor.

That being said, the reaction overall has been positive (BuzzFeed has 23 reasons to love the star).

"One of the most talented actors of his generation is about to play the best part on television," Steven Moffat, the show's executive producer, has said. "We made a home video of [Capaldi] being the Doctor and I showed it around and everyone said 'yes, that's (it).'"

Capaldi, who just so happens to be an old chum of "The Late Late Show's" Craig Ferguson, is very much looking forward to taking on one of the most classic characters in pop culture.

"Being asked to play the the Doctor is an amazing privilege," Capaldi said later in the BBC special. "I can't wait to get started."

1. xdhhxzbxzbre457

Oh~Unbelievable… My friend Kimenie has just married to a handsome black man. They met through ~~ MìxedMàtching. Çom~~ They told me it is the best, largest and most successful black&white dating site for black and white singles seeking interracial relationships, friendships, dating ,love and more.. If you are single , don't wait any longer. Create your profile for free and start browsing through their profiles.

August 10, 2013 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Meh

Boring show then...boring show now

August 8, 2013 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. Inkslinger

Well, that ruins my theory. If you go back to the first Doctor and work your way through the decades, most new incarnations were younger than any previous versions. Which led me to believe the Time Lords aged in reverse. Obviously a living likeness of Guy Fawkes breaks that mold - big time.

Personally, I've always believed the best, most believable Dr. Who of them all was Christopher Eccleston. Too bad he did not do more than one "season" of 13 episodes. I know there still is debate about why, but I think it would be an interesting plot twist to have the good Doctor come back as one of his former selves - obviously, his ninth self.

Final question: Did not one of the Doctors (one of the last five, I believe) have a line in which he said Time Lords can only regenerate 13 times - or maybe it was only have 13 bodies? In either case, wouldn't that make Capaldi the penultimate Who?

August 7, 2013 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. dfgdfgrtretryrty

… Unbelievable…wow… My friend Maggie has just married to a handsome wealthy man. They met through ~ ~ SèèkingRich.Çoм~~ They told me it is a Specialist millionaire dating for rich single s seeking relationships, friendships, dating ,love and more.. So, if you want to look for people with which you can date, you are at the right place.You can meet(lawyers,busy professionals, benefactors. models, celebrities, etc….)If you are single, perhaps you can have a try. fgfdg

August 7, 2013 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  5. shut up Gingerss

thanks

August 7, 2013 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  6. Anna

But... but.... HE'S NOT GINGER!!!!!!!!!!

August 7, 2013 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  7. M.A.P.

Now THAT man above is a real fecal fet-ishist! That, my friends, is a true sh!teaters grin.

August 7, 2013 at 3:53 am | Report abuse |
  8. Doug Less

@Daisy, I couldn't agree more. While I enjoyed the younger vibe the last couple Doctors offered, it will be nice to have things changed up a little and go back to an older doctor. They can always go younger again in another incarnation.

August 6, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Daisy

Reactions I've seen in other places are full of fans complaining about the age of the new Doctor. It's funny how many people fail to realize that earlier actors who played the Doctor were older, not necessarily twenty-somethings or even thirty-somethings.

Personally, I love the choice to go older! I'm excited to see the new adventures!

August 6, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Yaleyrad

It should be a good season of Dr. Who. The guy seems to fit right in.

August 5, 2013 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Buzz

I don't believe that man has ever been to medical school!

August 5, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Steel E. Dann

Are you with me doctor wu
    Are you really just a shadow
    Of the man that I once knew
    Are you crazy are you high
    Or just an ordinary guy

August 5, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Charlie

Since he's going to play Doctor Who, who is going to play Webster now?

August 5, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Even more Bonus Points

Dream of a world free of FoxNews, Sean Hannity, Bill O’Reilly, Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Pat Robertson, Michele Bachmann, Donald Trump and all social conservatives in general. What a wonderful world it would be!

August 5, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Liberals Eatdick For Fun

Dream of my balls slapping against your mom's brownhole.

August 8, 2013 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |