Instead of three 'Avatar' movies, you're getting four
August 2nd, 2013

Instead of three 'Avatar' movies, you're getting four

Well, this is good news for those who suffer from Pandora withdrawal.

James Cameron's producing partner, Jon Landau, tells CNN that Cameron is adding another sequel to "Avatar," meaning we'll have four films total when it's all said and done, including "Avatar 2," "Avatar 3" and "Avatar 4."

Cameron, who released the top-grossing movie of all time when he wrote and directed 2009's "Avatar," plans to film all three sequels at once.

"In writing the new films, I've come to realize that ‘Avatar's’ world, story and characters have become even richer than I anticipated, and it became apparent that two films would not be enough to capture everything I wanted to put on screen," the filmmaker has said in a statement.

There are three separate writing teams for each film, and they're currently working in tandem with Cameron to crank out the scripts.

“We’re in pre-production now with the art department working on the concepts," Landau told CNN. "We’ll go into production next year."

You can expect to see "Avatar 2", "3" and "4" arrive in December 2016, 2017 and 2018, respectively.

1. queenbead

Oh yay....3 more super boring, long movies as a sequel to one of the most dull flicks I've ever had to sit through in my life.

August 31, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. We give fonzie, potsie and richie $25 a day

cuz we like arnolds.....nobody gives it too you hun.....we give it too them cuz we like it there

August 28, 2013 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tracking a fat lazy hack

was easy....you told us-

August 28, 2013 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Goldman and Marrill Tech

you always lose mandy i always win

August 28, 2013 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Maylene and a ton of others

annoying customers through tweets and facebook messages from fake people

August 28, 2013 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. The indication went back too her DOC HER

thanks

August 13, 2013 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  7. Aang

Why do people hate the avatar so, Is it my flying sheep dog?

August 13, 2013 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  8. Thinker...

Gotta ask, why does this movie get so much hate? I enjoyed seeing it in the theatres, sure the story has been done before (Dances with Wolves was not original either btw; the 'civilised' guy falls for native girl, goes native storey is as old as civilisation), but that doesn't really make it less entertaining. It made tons of money so at least a few people liked it. Is it just the "people like it so it isn't cool if I like it" thing? At least from my perspective it wasn't a bad movie, not the greatest movie ever either, but not as bad as all the commenters on boards portray it.

August 12, 2013 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

Another case of sheep on a train. They all like to agree with each other even though some of them surely liked the film . I got into arguments about it because it was the cool thing to say "I hat-ed Avatar" or " I dont wanna see it". Just like how everyone now pretends that "Blurred lines" is actually a great se-xy summer hit instead of being the vile se-xist sh!t that it is. Sheeple on a train.

August 12, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thinker...

Well I guess that figures. Whats funny is I bet a bunch of the people that are ragging on the movie will go see the sequals.

August 12, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. guys

do you view this as love? I view it as nuttin...then I am a romantic...I don't see once ounce of love in this relationship...

August 7, 2013 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  10. derp

Great, now we'll get Ferngully 2, 3 and 4.

Cameron sucks.

August 6, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. So then I asked him what he wanted for the car, bottom line, and he said $9500

which is way over the book value for a 2004 Volvo C70 with 195k on the odo. Can you believe it? When I tried to haggle with him he was very hesitant. Seriously, the most I was going to offer was maybe 6, 6 and a half if he twisted my arm. So I walked and will keep on looking. Those Volvos are good solid cars with the potential for high miles, so I'm not concerend with 195k on this one. Maybe there's another one out there with fewer miles if I look hard enough.

August 6, 2013 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  12. She does NOT use the walls..that's the problem

sorry

August 6, 2013 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  13. She does use the walls..that's the problem

August 6, 2013 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  14. NO NO NO NO...SHE IS THE CONTROLLER DO NOT RESPOND TOO HER...NOTHING

YOUR DOING SOMETING ABOUT SHE IS JUST MOTORS AROUND ALL DAY...IGNORE HER...NO NO NO

August 6, 2013 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
  15. GonzoG

I remember Lush Rimshot ranting against the original Avatar. He was saying it was a "subversive pro-environmental message" movie.

Subversive? Hell, there wasn't anything subversive about it–it was right out there in front of God and everybody to see.

August 5, 2013 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Tim W.

I liked number 1 and will watch all the news ones......I never care what others say.......I watch what I want to watch ! Some one must like the movie or they would not have made money on it.....keep up the good work !

August 5, 2013 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  17. BING VIRUS NAILED AND HACKED INTO 2 FAKE CALLS... DOC HER....BING WAS NAILED AT 349PM

000

August 5, 2013 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Joel

Good movie, bad part, as time has moved on and I see it on TV, the special effects are not as special, cartooney.

Worked in 3D but I hope they fix it for the sequel.

August 5, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • mickey1313

Not to mention that the plot of the first one was directly ripped off from dances with wolves. James is a has been, he needs to pull a lucas and retire

August 5, 2013 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Captain Slapaho

I won't fail to miss any of them!

August 5, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

You will FAIL the moment you set foot in the theater for any of the sequels. To each is own, I guess. Movies in general are geared toward society's lowest common denominator, with Avatar being a perfect example of that.

August 5, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ha!

Speaking of the lowest common denominator, it's observer. Your opinion means nothing on this blog, loser.

August 5, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jackson

No, Observer, YOU are the one who fails. You fail to understand or accept that this is a big world, with many different people with many different tastes.

No one appointed you the sole arbiter of taste on this planet, so kindly do not act like you are. If it doesn't work for it, it doesn't work for you. If others like it, there is nothing wrong with that. I assure you that every person reading your response could look through a list of your favorite movies and find a few that would make them laugh at you. Doesn't make them right, doesn't make you right.

If you cannot accept that there are differences of opinion on the planet, then you are living on the wrong planet and are in for a very tough life.

August 21, 2013 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  20. Bc3

I would figure there would just be Avatar 2 when the humans come back with a gigantic invasion force and level the planet..

August 5, 2013 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
    • GonzoG

That's pretty much what the U.S. Army did to the Indians every time they won.

August 5, 2013 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  21. lean6

2016? Was he waiting to see if we were going to still be around after 2012...or what? Get on with it already!

August 5, 2013 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
  22. Avatar_Korra_Of_The_WaterTribe

Hey,This article should be about ME!!! I'm the AVATAR!

And you better DEAL WITH IT!

August 3, 2013 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  23. SkipperSam

Have the writers of Dances with wolves sued yet ?

August 2, 2013 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • paul

No, but I hear the writers of Fern Gully, Pocahontas, and Dune (to name a few) are getting their lawyers hot and bothered...

August 4, 2013 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
    • mickey1313

Also the creators of riverworld, because he ripped off the look of that comic as well. He is a hack, a fraud, and a terable writer. Only Terminator was good, and that plot was ripped off too.

August 5, 2013 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  24. TriumphTheInsultComicDog

I've always wondered if their butt dumplings are blue too.

August 2, 2013 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  25. noyb

Nothing but an over rated film for the environmentalist/Hollywood crybabies/scientologists/freaks/losers!!!!!!
    P.S. Any film that has a Scientologist in it is not worth seeing and yes one of the stars was a scientologist/cult member!!!!!!!

August 2, 2013 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

Which one is a scientologist? Not Sigorny Weaver! Not Michelle Rodriguez, not that Australian actor, which one!?

August 3, 2013 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Aomyb

Wow. Angry and hateful much? I'll bet you are one of those projecting nerds who is first in line to see all of these "Hollywood" movies you claim to hate so much. Why take movies about blue aliens so personally?

August 3, 2013 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Observer

Oh for the love of god...one 'Avatar' movie was too many, now there's going to be five? James Cameron is an egotistical tool who wouldn't know a good movie subject if it bit him in the ass. Now that 'Magic Mike' movie - that was GOOD. Maybe Cameron should have those blue aliens (the male ones) drop their loin cloths and dance around the forest nude. I wouldn't mind taking a gander at their gangling, azure hang-downs flopping around in the wilderness.

August 2, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Micky

Reading and counting are hard.

"meaning we'll have four films total when it's all said and done"

August 3, 2013 at 6:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Pete's dragon

Like your opinion means anything on this blog, observer. Yeah, nice counting job. Obviously, you are quite the scholar. Loser!

August 3, 2013 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Måd

Trust me Observer, there's so much Avatar pōrn on the internet it defies belief.

August 3, 2013 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • JohnJohn

Observer? You have the most oxymoronic username on the net today. This movie is one of the all-time biggest money makers in the history of movies, and you don't think millions of money-paying customers aren't ready for a sequel? You are so laughably dim.

August 3, 2013 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |