Nick Cannon pens letter to 'sister' Amanda Bynes
August 1st, 2013

Nick Cannon pens letter to 'sister' Amanda Bynes

Amanda Bynes' recent behavior has landed her in tough positions with a few celebrities, but there's one former co-worker who's still in her corner.

Nick Cannon, who appeared on Nickelodeon's "All That" in the late '90s with Bynes, has written a lengthy open letter to the troubled actress, who was placed under a 14-day psychiatric hold in a California hospital last week.

While some have poked fun at Bynes' bizarre behavior, Cannon said he sees "this as no laughing matter. I tweeted a few weeks about how the entertainment industry just consumes people and spits them out like flavorless bubblegum. A few chews of enjoyment then they’re under a city bus bench. ... I am always the first to say that fame and entertainment is one of the best and easiest occupations to ever have, but one must know how to navigate through the matrix or you may find yourself in a very dark hole."

And if the person lacks a support system of trustworthy friends and family members, it's easy to "become paranoid, frantic, manic, (and) irrational because you (can't) bounce your thoughts or ideas off of anyone anymore," Cannon said.

Bynes' parents have been working to place their 27-year-old daughter under a conservatorship on the grounds that she's mentally ill and suffering from substance abuse issues. And in the meantime, Cannon is offering his shoulder should Bynes need one to lean on.

"No one on this planet needs to be judged or even has the right to judge. ... And we need each other to in times of despair," Cannon said. "So I say to my sister Amanda Bynes, you’re not alone. I’m here for you. I understand. I care and I appreciate you, because that’s what family does and that’s what family is for."

Filed under: Celebrities

1. Jim Rome

I like this guy more and more every time I hear him.

August 12, 2013 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. chocolate thunder

somebody wants some white meat...........

August 5, 2013 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guestgal

I guess you are so simple that you can't fathom that he is sincerely concerned about Amanda. Go back to the kennel.

August 19, 2013 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Concerned

Good for nick....he's waking up

August 19, 2013 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. Meh

So...I guess the brutha tapped her then

August 5, 2013 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  4. Rumor Has It

The carpet matches the drapes.

August 5, 2013 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  5. ANG LEE COVERED FOR MONTHS NOW

THANK YOU!

August 4, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. TMarg

Nick is so hot when he's busy

August 2, 2013 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  7. Gross

I like her hair. I makes me want some blue cotton candy. I also like her boobs.

August 2, 2013 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  8. Down with the swirl

Yes, Amanda, I will assist with all your chemical and affection needs. Like a hyena surveilling the wounded antelope by the watering hole, I will say whatever your suseptible ears yearn to hear, then I shall punce upon you and use you and discard your carcass. You so pretty, you so talented, I ain't never met a girl like you... Gotcha!

August 2, 2013 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Interesting...

you been hanging around the middle schools, practicing those lines? You kinda creepy...

August 2, 2013 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  9. bertha

@anytime you feel you need a support system we dont always use it because of embarassment , and it came 2 this god,prayer,love

August 2, 2013 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  10. Stacy

That was really nice of him. He comes across like a nice man and it seems he is. I hope she is doing better and gets the help she needs. I remember when Britney had her break down and now she's doing great. Good luck to her

August 2, 2013 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

You really think he's being genuine? He's like a jellyfish to me – I can see ight through him and theres no heart in there. He only cares about two things, his career. Oh wait that's ONE thing!

August 2, 2013 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  11. M.I.A.

He's just as bad as his narcisistic fat wife, bunch of fake, mean spirited people with no reality in their brain and no love in their hearts. Let's face it – he hardly knows Bynes, him referring to her as Sister is condescending and fake if anything – they worked for 5 minutes together like, nearly 20 years ago! He's only doing this to try and win some publicity for himself – don't you people understand, publicity = $$$ in that business. He and his evil narc wife are only in it for the money and they couldnt give two sh!ts about anyone else. SHAME ON YOU AND ROB THICKE. God I hate Rob Thicke too.

August 2, 2013 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
    • T.P.N.

Sounds like you're jealous of him and his wife. And What does Robin Thicke have to do with anything? His name isn't even listed in the article. Maybe you should concentrate on furthering your career. Oops, perhaps you don't have one. Toodles.

August 8, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Oniraptor

I cant help but wonder as to the shameless grandstanding and false sympathy this loser shows to Miss Bynes.
    He posted an open letter for the world to see rather than do this privately and compassionately. Cannon is an ass.
    it nearly compares to the year or more that she has gone untreated while even total strangers but not her family and friends could see she needed help.
    For Miss Bynes I feel a huge amount of sympathy and those around her and those attempting to cash in should all be ashamed of themselves. I watched her shows and enjoyed her movies. I guess, though, it really is all about the monies and prestige and who you can leech off of next for these people.

August 1, 2013 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Peace ☮

Yes, he offered her a shoulder, but, has he really done anything for her?

August 1, 2013 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Cam

So where has this "support system of trustworthy friends and family members" been all this time to keep this poor young woman from becoming "paranoid, frantic, manic, (and) irrational?"

When Amanda gets better, she needs to take a good, hard look at her friends and family. It would appear that a lot of them haven't been there for her during her time of need.

August 1, 2013 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Reality Check

Good points, Nick Cannon. Now, what about Amanda's so-called 'friend,' Drake Bell. It wasn't that long ago (June 12, 2013 to be exact) that The Marquee Blog had an article where Drake Bell advised us that Amanda Bines was healthy. He went on to say that all of her antics are the result of her 'searching' and shouldn't be taken out of context. He said he speaks with her daily, and occasionally has lunch or dinner with her, then went on to make more excuses for her behavior.

Either Drake Bell is an idiot, a liar, or a lousy friend. Maybe he's one of the bad elements she needs to cut out of her troubled life. He's apparently not helping her any.

August 1, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |