The Eagles to re-open legendary LA venue
July 31st, 2013

The Eagles to re-open legendary LA venue

The legendary rock band The Eagles will headline three concerts in January to celebrate the grand re-opening of the Forum, an arena best known as the former home of the Los Angeles Lakers.

The iconic venue was rescued from demolition by the Madison Square Garden Company in its first venture on the West Coast. MSG is sinking $100 million into restoring the Forum, which will become the largest indoor performance venue in the United States.

At a press conference this week in a tent outside the construction zone in Inglewood, CA, guitarist Glenn Frey was sentimental as he stepped up to the microphone.

“As fond as I am of all my memories with The Eagles,” he said, “my fondest memory is a picture of my four-year-old son and six-year-old daughter sitting on each of Magic Johnson’s knees eating popcorn during a Laker game.”

Bandmate Joe Walsh shared another type of memory. “I spent a couple days in the Forum Club one night. I don’t remember a lot about it, but everybody says I had a really good time,” he quipped.

The Eagles played the Forum 11 times (some of which can be heard on the album "Eagles Live"); Led Zeppelin played there a whopping 16 times. Built in 1967, the venue hosted such top tier acts as Elvis Presley, Barbra Streisand, Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Van Halen and Prince before it was purchased by Faithful Central Bible Church in 2000 for a reported 22 million dollars. But that kind of mortgage is hard to keep up when you’re a house of worship.

Several years ago, the Eagles’ manager, Irving Azoff, heard the Forum could be leveled to make room for a housing development. He made an impassioned pitch to his good friend Jim Dolan, who not coincidentally is Executive Chairman of the Madison Square Garden Company.

With flagship properties on the East Coast and in Chicago, Dolan was looking to expand MSG’s footprint to the West Coast. The company now says the Forum is eligible for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places.

And that’s great news for Joe Walsh, who gets a bird’s eye view of the arena every time he flies home to Los Angeles with The Eagles.

“When we come off the road, and we are in a landing pattern and we look down at the Forum, it’s been in a state of disrepair for a long time, and it always made me really sad,” he says.  “Southern California has a bad habit of leveling places of significance, and building silly things on top of it.  We need some heritage.  We need some history.  I’m so happy this is here.”

Post by:
Filed under: Music

1. prosecution is the only thing left..

we do not do anything because there is no love here which is clear and technically they are in prison aren't they. they have huge addictions which are not being addressed and or handled and I am worried about a stupid computer ....
    they are in prison already aren't they.

August 7, 2013 at 6:05 am | Report abuse |
  2. rashed

Excellent blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers?
    I’m hoping to start my own blog soon but I’m a
    little lost on everything. Would you suggest starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option?
    There are so many choices out there that I’m completely confused .. Any tips? Bless you!

August 7, 2013 at 6:05 am | Report abuse |
  3. Now he beats her..

doc her.

August 7, 2013 at 5:59 am | Report abuse |
  4. rashed

I love what you guys are usually up too. Such clever
    work and exposure! Keep up the superb works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my personal blogroll.

August 7, 2013 at 5:54 am | Report abuse |
  5. bvnvbvbnvbn

OH ! Unbelievable… My friend Maggie has just married to a handsome wealthy man. They met through ~ SèèkingRich.Çoм~~ They told me it is a Specialist millionaire dating for rich single s seeking relationships, friendships, dating ,love and more.. So, if you want to look for people with which you can date, you are at the right place.You can meet(lawyers,busy professionals, benefactors. models, celebrities, etc….)If you are single, perhaps you can have a try. fgsdfgdsfg

August 1, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Carl Brutananadilewski

I've always been a Giants fan. Eagles suck.

August 1, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Walter

I'm glad the Fabolous Forum is being saved. I lived on 90th St and Crenshaw and would sit on the corner and watch all the limos go by as the stars were attending events at the Forum. I saw Prince, The Time and Vanity 6 there, which was my first concert. Everytime I go home, I must pass by there just to see it. It is a mainstay of Inglewood and should be preserved. Unfortunately, another mainstay, Hollywood Park, is being torn down. Long live the Forum!!!!

August 1, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carlos

I mugged a dude near that intersection ten or fifteen years ago. Small world!

August 1, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ignore LA

she thinks we have not figured that out yet......Go Eagles

August 1, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Droog

I think the Eagles are going all the way this year...all the way to the f-cking Superbowl, baby! WOOOHOOOO!!!!

August 1, 2013 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  10. ※Sadie※

I have always loved their music. I really like Joe Walsh, too. Great band, hands down.

August 1, 2013 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  11. Lisa

I love you Joe W. You are always smiling and upbeat, you have a sense of humor and a talent for guitar and song writing that you have maintained into and beyond the "assisted living tour" (Glenn's words at the Hollywood Bowl... not mine). Kudos to you my friend. I also loved your performance at Villa Montalvo last summer 2012. You are an artist, a humorist and a survivor. I applaud you dude! XO PS – someone please tell Don to shave the goatee... and smile!

August 1, 2013 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Terry

He's stoned. Most people who are perpetually stoned are smiling and upbeat. I wish Keith Richards would get back on heroin so the Stones could make some relevant music again. But, you're right, you gotta love JW!

August 1, 2013 at 5:59 am | Report abuse |
  12. Joshua Wertheim

I love Joe Walsh's comment about his experience at the Forum Club. I was there once too, in the 1970s, I can't divulge the reason I was able to get in there, almost 40 years ago, but let me just say that there was a lot more than soda being consumed with a straw, and I sat at a table with a team executive and a certain football player who later on was accused of murder, partaking of that party substance right out in the open, from a large plate reminiscent of Scarface's desk in the last scene of that movie.

July 31, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kelly Lodge

My first concert was at The Forum in August of 1977 for KISS Alive II I was 11 years old. I have seen so many concerts there over the years. I sooo happy it's going to be around for years to come. I also so saw my first sporting event there in 1975 for The LA Kings. Thank You for Saving The Forum, Peace/Love

July 31, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Marco

Ironically, and in keeping with prior engagements, individual ticket prices will be $100 million apiece each night.

July 31, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. -

Seriously, there is a lunatic loose on the blog. Possibly more than one. Have you read some of this nonsense? From cryptic ramblings to outright, batsh!t crazy/semi-funny posts. What has become of this place? It's like an insane asylum.

July 31, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Lt. Frank Drebin

Looks like the cows have come home to roost.

July 31, 2013 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Boo

You are dumber than a spatula.

July 31, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |