Lea Michele breaks silence on Cory Monteith's death
July 29th, 2013

Lea Michele breaks silence on Cory Monteith's death

The last time Lea Michele's Twitter followers saw an update from the "Glee" star was on July 13, when the unthinkable happened. The 26-year-old's on- and off-screen boyfriend, Cory Monteith, was found dead at 31.

In the days since, Michele's co-stars have one by one expressed their grief over losing Monteith. On July 29, Michele broke her silence and joined the chorus with a statement of her own.

"Thank you all for helping me through this time with your enormous love & support," she tweeted, along with a happy photo of herself with Monteith.

"Cory will forever be in my heart."

Monteith and Michele had starred on "Glee" since its 2009 premiere, portraying the unlikely pair of jock Finn Hudson and overachiever Rachel Berry. Their evolving relationship and its eventual romantic turn was a bedrock storyline on the Fox comedy, and their off-screen lives soon mimicked those of their characters.

The pair publicly began dating in 2012, and Michele stuck by his side when Monteith voluntarily entered rehab earlier this year.

"I love and support Cory and will stand by him through this," she said when he sought treatment for substance addiction. "I am grateful and proud that he made this decision."

According to E!, the actress recently said in an interview with Marie Claire Mexico that Monteith showed her just as much support.

"(H)e is the best person I know, he has made my life so incredible and I am so thankful for him, and not only to have him as a partner but also as a coworker," Michele reportedly said. "It is important to have someone that supports you and encourage you, someone that makes you feel that you are unstoppable, that you can do anything in the world because you have him."

On July 13, Monteith was found dead in a hotel room in Vancouver, Canada. A coroner later ruled that the actor died from a mixed drug toxicity that included heroin and alcohol.

Filed under: Celebrities • Glee • television

1. Cactus Legs

Long term treatment may have helped him....the success rate is bleak for drugs and alcohol treatment. My brother died of cirrhosis at age 56, he was in and out of treatment. I'm glad his suffering is over but I miss him.

August 7, 2013 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. k/

If she truly loved him, then she wouldn't be blithering on with all the hoopla AND seeking all this attention. ...Enough already ... it's article after article that seems to be emerging about "how muuuuuuuuuuuuch she loved him" ...
    Let him rest in peace and if ya love him - do it privately. Funny tho. she requests privacy, yet continues to blither.... hmmm, something's' missing !!

August 7, 2013 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Caitlin

Seriously? She made one tweet about him, one! And that was after a couple of weeks of silence. It's nothing so get over it.

August 7, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. av

Glee has (sadly) the opportunity to get a message over to their millions of young fans about the dangers of taking drugs. Doesn't matter who or what you, drugs are dangerous. I hope they do something.

August 7, 2013 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  4. WE FIGURED THAT...

THAT IS HOW YOU BRIBE HIM TOO WRECK MACHINES.....AND HE DOES IT... WHO IS THE STUPID ONE NOT YOU YOUR PIG.

August 7, 2013 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
  5. Touchy Taytum

Embrace each second of each day with him in your heart

August 2, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. samsonie

Poor girl. Can't wait to watch the next season of "Glee".
    In the meantime:

August 2, 2013 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  7. Real Couples

^^ yes....but that other? nuttin left.

August 1, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MJ

There are parts of him that make me happy and look fine also

July 30, 2013 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. splasher6

Yea well he's dead now

July 30, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. A chill--

did not call him a drunk...let's backtrack on the morning events.

July 30, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. James

Did everyone miss the last paragraph of the story? If she loved and cared for him so damn much why the hell was she letting him use heroin? If she was so close to him she could not have known, and if he was a relapse danger why was she, or someone else, not with him? Do we, as a nation, cry everytime a random junkie OD's, no. But if that junkie is a celeb we wet out pants over them. Drug use is like russian roulette, you wanna kill yourself, fine, but don't expect me to cry over you.

July 30, 2013 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • You're a real humanitarian there, James...

be sure to say an extra set of prayers before bed tonight - you're not looking so good right now in the eyes of the beholder.

July 30, 2013 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

Seriously? Fall back on religious guilt over the truth? I AM sorry for the loss friends and families have. I AM sorry that he saw no other path to what he needed other than life-risking drugs, but I have no sympathy for him. I am a recovering alcoholic. I used to rink a liter of vodka, on blood thinners in less than 3 hours then drive home. Had I killed myself I would have wished no sympathy for my actions because I CHOSE THEM. PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. No one forced the needle into him. It is sad he felt he needed that, but he chose it and chose poorly. Do you really believe that God, your God, my God ANYONE'S God would hold it against me that I disagreed with someone choice that polluted their body with chemicals and that led to their own death in pursuit of chemically induced pleasure? If so, re-read your passages again Sir. Virtually all world religions denounce the use of intoxicants for non-religious purposes, and heroin is not used as a component of any ceremony I am currently aware of.

July 30, 2013 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

Wow, we went from religions criticism to insults and ill wishes, seems like a natural progression, especially here. BTW, 8+ years of sobriety and quit in 1 night. Not likely to fall of the wagon OR get run over by one. Plus wagons are deadly, that's why I avoid all rodeos and old/wild west re-enactments, plus ren fairs just to be safe. Don't wanna die by the "bring out your dead" wagon. Now go put your hood back on a go outside to play with all the other small minded children while the adults stay here. Ass.

July 30, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • marin

This has to be one of the most uninformed, heartless and ridiculous posts on the thread. Then you wonder why you get jumped. Your defensiveness is a dead giveaway that you already know you're a moron... And PS – pretty sure you are the only 'wetting' yourself over this story...

July 30, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • pm ohio

James, do your fingers write stuff your mind can't write checks for? The thing about loving an addict is that you have to realize you aren't the one injecting that needle into thier veins...Cory did this. No matter how much help you try to give an addict, the person responsible is the addict and blaming the survivors is just ignorant and mean. He was clean for a while, and like so many addicts who are trying to get help and stay clean, the 1st time they go off the wagon, the drugs kill them because the level they were used to is now toxic to thier system. The thing i am confused about is how a 31 and late 20 something play teenagers on TV...that is wierd, if you ask me. Plenty of talented teens over at Disney...Fox has always been trash TV anyway.

July 30, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Isabel

I don't think any one can control another person's behavior. They have to want to be a certain way.

July 30, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

Great for you that you were able to kick your alcoholism, James, but just because you are so amazing and took full responsability for your actions (driving home that drunk was putting other's lives at risk too, at least Cory didnt do THAT), doesn't mean noone deserves sympathy. We are not all invincible machine/people like you. Thankfully.

July 31, 2013 at 4:28 am | Report abuse |
  12. Pharmacy

Is she on drugs too?

July 30, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lisa Struddle

Wow what a "strong" post... better that she said nothing and sad we are making it news worthy ... obviously she did not post this herself, her publicist did, but really? Her PR crew does not deserve their job ..

July 30, 2013 at 5:38 am | Report abuse |
  14. Wratchell

Is it just me, or does it look like her dress fell off of her chest in that top photo?

July 30, 2013 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
    • izzy

nope, not just you

July 30, 2013 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |
    • A

Woah! I love this photo now.

July 30, 2013 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
    • dede

yeah it does

July 30, 2013 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
    • happytam

LOL! I was just thinking that. What would happen if a big gust of wind suddently blew her hair back?

July 30, 2013 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Gross

I'm with you all - I've been analyzing that photo since they put it up yesterday, and can't for the life of me figure out how there could be any fabric covering those perky little pound puppies of hers. The only thing between us and her narps are those long, brunette locks of hers. A convenient, stiff breeze would gives us all collective stiffies.

July 30, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Yan

Such stupid comments

July 29, 2013 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

Sum Ting Wong?

July 30, 2013 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
    • jhonny ausemkock

That's kinda the point. You don't actually take these boards seriously, do you? 'Cause that would be pretty freakin sad.

July 30, 2013 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Yan can cook...

...but when he cooks for himself he prefers cream of sum yung gai

July 30, 2013 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  16. Amy

The media is at it again. Why are they honing in on one person who is not even the family of the deceased. What about his family? That's who matters. Not some actress he dated. Her loss is not the same as his family's loss.

July 29, 2013 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sammy Law

It's a loss either way. Imagine losing your significant other. The loss is SIGNIFICANT for lack of a better term. You're right though, the media is at it again and should just let him rest in peace and give his family, friends, and his partner some space.

July 29, 2013 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • So sad

how insensitive can you be?! they were supposedly talking engagement, had a history between them of multiple years as a couple, and were almost constanty at eachother's side in recent months - they were eachother's most important person in the world when he passed. So her level of grief is not worthy of your pity? how sad.
      She probably felt the worst of everyone over this tragedy. She's probably wondering what she could have done different, or how she could have prevented that night–tortoring herself over it all with the loss of her best friend.

July 30, 2013 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Sophia

The media did mention the family in several other of their reports, however Lea Michele has already been in the spotlight and has a huge fan following so the media is going to put more stories out on what people are more likely going to want to read – and that's about Lea Michele.

It may seem insensitive but for one the family is obviously grieving and going through an extremely difficult time, so would you rather the media keep bothering them for statements and quotes? No – the media is going to let them be until the family puts out a statement.

The media will always be criticized, but you have to give them at least a little credit and try and understand why they deliver stories the way they do.

July 30, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

Go away, you heartless ninny.

July 30, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beg to differ

I think when you work with someone that long – side by side – year after year – you do become family. You could not do what they do if you were not close. My understanding was they were engaged – soon to be family. Yes his "real" family is important but since they are not stars – they could tweet away and no one would know the difference. That is why this is in the Entertainment section – thus words from Entertainers. We live vicariously through them!

July 30, 2013 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Dan

I did not realize how popular he was. It seems like there is something every day about him. I guess I was not a fan of the show.

July 29, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • pcooper

It's one of those shows where once you start you can't stop watching. I started watching when my daughter would turn it on. Now I'm the one obsessed! To the point I rented the first 2 seasons from Netflix so I could get filled in on the story line. Excellent writing and acting. Top of the line actors/performers!

July 29, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Norman

Season 1 was very successful-lost viewers each successive season because it was the same old thing-still somewhat popular after season 4

July 29, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

The show is a slimy sloppy pile of steaming SH!T!! The god awful cheesy songs and lame "HIgh School Musical" style sing along makes me wanna vomit diarrhea from my mouth. "Dont stop, believing" AAAARGHH!!

July 30, 2013 at 6:18 am | Report abuse |
  18. Marie

Her strength is very inspiring. Prayers for both of them.

July 29, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  19. h8idiots

Actually, only a loser would make such a comment.

July 29, 2013 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Mimi

Wow...you can't even spell loser! Maybe finish grade school before worrying about calling people things you are too stupid to spell!

July 29, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  21. pcooper

Decent people who have learned empathy for others care about the loss of a person no matter what the cause of death was.

July 29, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Me

Pliny is a fairly regular contributor to the blog and is nothing but a bully and hatemonger. I'm pretty sure he's a sociopath with a complete lack of empathy for others.

July 29, 2013 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Pat F

Geez, obsess much?

July 29, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Grazie

saved

July 29, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  25. cameron

how much do you make a year working at mcdonald's?

July 29, 2013 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Really...

You have a pager? Did you post that comment from 1993.

Hacker troll.

July 29, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Jeff

Agreed. Webster was awesome.

July 29, 2013 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  28. "a handsome wealthy black man"?

Unbelievable indeed! Right up there with unicorns and ogres.

August 2, 2013 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Deja Vu

Same lame attempt at humor two days in a row now, Sokman. It wasn't clever the first time, and isn't any better the second time around.

We get it - you hate black people, you're a racist and a redneck. You don't have to keep reminding us. Now go back to f-cking your sister, you inbred trailer ape.

August 2, 2013 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |